LM
Posted By
LVMH_Miami
May 31, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently installed PhotoShop CS2 on two Windows 2000 Pro machines with hopefully enough resources (512 MB RAM in one case, 1GB in the other).

Both install exhibit a strange behavior: the registration window (wich sometimes pops up when launching CS2 or can be invoked in Help/Registration)does not display any text! The buttons are visible but empty and one should guess which to click to close that window.

The user with the 1 GB machine (who is an experienced Photoshop user) also tells me that some menus are unavailable or greyed out. This may be a related problem.

Thanks for your help,

JLL

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Jun 1, 2005
do you have the latest video drivers and service packs installed?
LM
LVMH_Miami
Jun 6, 2005
Sorry for the late answer,

I have SP4 for W2K.

I will check the video drivers and get back to you. Similar posts do point to the same problem (video driver or card).

Thanks,

JLL
B
borisz
Jun 8, 2005
Hi all,
I have same issue as well. I have Win2K sp4, dualPIII, 2GB Ram and NVIDIA Gforce II card. CS is not manifesting any problems. In addition icons in file/open window and some other tool buttons are not displaying text as well.
Problem first appeared on trial CS2 version. Since than I have purchased 2 new HD and have fresh install of Windows and latest drivers from NVIDIA. After you open any file or toggle between several buttons text will eventually appear.
While I consider this as annoyance rather than major problem it would be nice that Adobe can fix this or at least state which Video cards/drivers are ok.
Please note that no other application on PC is manifesting any video/screen redraw related issues.

Boris
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 8, 2005
adobe can’t fix a bug in a video driver. running win2k you’re probably used to shoddy driver support… contact the vid card manufacturer.
B
borisz
Jun 8, 2005
Dave,
I do respect your opinion and your suggestions helped me several times. However, if that would be the case all applications will experience same issue. Photoshop CS will experience same issue. So please do not blame it exclusively to OS, Microsoft, NVIDIA or ATI or anyone else but Adobe.
Personally I thing that problem is somewhere in between and it is evident from other posts that there are certain issues regarding different video card manufacturers, their drivers and CS2.
I do not think it is to much to ask for some reasonable explanation or advice. I do not mind spending money for new video card (this one is old anyway) but it would be nice if Adobe will post certified video cards that have no issues what so ever with their software. Most manufacturers of 3D software are doing exactly that.

Regards,
Boris
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 8, 2005
if that would be the case all applications will experience same issue.

not necissarily. there are "ways and ways" to put stuff on the screen. all of them are standard (and are defined by microsoft or apple depending on the platform). when you write a driver and ship it for the product and you skip parts of the standard, or mess something up, that’s not the problem of the app trying to access your driver.

are you drivers signed for win2k by the manufacturer?

So please do not blame it exclusively to OS, Microsoft, NVIDIA or ATI or anyone else but Adobe

you can listen to me or not. your choice. i’m just telling you where the problem MOST LIKELY lies and where you’ll probably get the resolution from in the long run. i’m not blaming anyone. why would i? i have no vested interest in any of these companies. i help out here because i LIKE helping people out and i happen to have a modicum of knowlege to share sometimes. <shrug>

if it’s adobe’s fault they should (and i’m confident they will) fix it, but it sure doesn’t sound like it.
B
borisz
Jun 8, 2005
Dave, thanks for your oppinion. Sorry if my post looks confrontational,that was not my intent.

I one of the posts that are mentioning simmilar issues, I have found this from Theo:

"Theo van Zanten – 2:01am Jun 8, 05 PST (#12 of 12)

Had the same problem. On my system it was the McAfee antivirus causing the text to disappear. (buffer overflow feature in v8.0i)

Theo "

I do have Mcaffe 8 as well and as soon as I get home I will test with disabling of buffer overflow protection.
If that is the case than I will owe appologie to Adobe folks.

Regards,

Boris
B
borisz
Jun 8, 2005
I have just tested with buffer overflow disabled in Mcaffe (8.0) and text on butons is appearing correctly.
So here it is – applogie to folks in Adobe –

Boris
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 9, 2005
Sorry if my post looks confrontational,that was not my intent.

no, don’t worry. i was just stating where i was coming from. glad you’re working! 🙂

dave

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections