Posted By
Barry_Fass-Holmes
Nov 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello.

Sorry if the following question is redundant; I searched this forum first and didn’t find an answer.

PE 2.0
Panther

I want the palettes to be organized alphabetically in PE’s palette dock. I have arranged them alphabetically, but after quitting PE and relaunching it, the palettes’ order reverted to the unalphabetized default.

Does anyone know how to configure PE to "remember" the alphabetical ordering of the palettes in PE’s dock?

Many thanks in advance!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 3, 2003
Hey, Barry, nice to see you here. Is "Save palette locations" checked in the preferences. I don’t know if that will affect the palette well too or not, but it’s a good place to start.
BF
Barry_Fass-Holmes
Nov 3, 2003
Thanks Barbara. I’ll check that out and report back (probably tomorrow).

Cheerio!
BF
Barry_Fass-Holmes
Nov 5, 2003
Barbara:

Thanks, but the preference for "Save palette locations" already was checked (by default).

Any other suggestions on how to make PE 2.0 remember an alphabetical ordering of the palettes in PE’s palette dock instead of the default order?
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 5, 2003
I don’t believe you can, Barry. At least, I’ve been checking around and everything seems to return them to the default order in the dock. Maybe Rich knows a way.
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 5, 2003
On my Win98SE installation of PSE2, the order of palette tabs in my palette well remains the same between sessions.

I tested it by rearranging them, then closing and re-starting PSE2. They always appear just where I left them.

Also, if I drag a palette out of the well, when I close it, it returns to the spot in the well where I had placed it.

I have Save Palette Locations selected in Preferences.

Byron
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 5, 2003
Mine don’t Byron. Just checked. Maybe it’s a windows thing? I’ll go try in XP and let you know what happens, Barry.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 5, 2003
Nope, just checked and XP does the same thing.
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 5, 2003
Just to ensure that I was not "seeing things", or giving anyone a bum steer, I did an experiment.

I changed the contents of my palette well by adding a palette tab which I ordinarily do not display, and then jumbled the order of everything. I then quit PSE2. I then re-booted my PC (Win98SE).

When I restarted PSE2 after the re-boot, every item in my palette well was exactly as I had left it (specifically out of any logical order that I could think of).

We now return you to your regular programming…
RC
Richard_Coencas
Nov 5, 2003
Sorry gang. It is not user configurable.
Rich
BF
Barry_Fass-Holmes
Nov 5, 2003
Thanks to all for posting.

I wonder what Byron is doing differently so that it works for him and not the rest of us . . .
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 5, 2003
Byron is using one of those old-fashioned, "unimproved" OSs! Not everything newer is better!
PD
Pete_D
Nov 6, 2003
Hmmm. Whatever Byron is doing I guess….so am I. It works for me too.

I moved navigator to the extreme left side of well and hints to the extreme right, closed the program and when I re opened they maintained those positions.

Pete
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 6, 2003
Pete,

Let’s start a club!

Byron
PD
Pete_D
Nov 6, 2003
OK Byron. U be president since you posted first:)

Pete
BF
Barry_Fass-Holmes
Nov 6, 2003
Does the Windows version of PE perhaps contain an extra preference/configuration setting that is absent in the Mac version?

Alternatively, the capability to "remember" palette position may be built into PE for Windows but not in PE for Mac.

In other words, this might have little to do with the OS and more to do with the version of PE.

Only Adobe’s engineers, QA staff, etc. would know for sure.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 6, 2003
We had one response from an Adobe staff member who said the way in which the tabs displayed was not customizable. The only thing I noticed about the responses in this thread is that both of the people who can get Elements to remember the pallet locations were, I believe, using Win 98.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 6, 2003
Barry, Rich Coencas is an Adobe engineer, so he knows.

I didn’t find anything in XP that would let me do that. In fact, it was more reluctant to let me rearrange the tabs in the well while it was open.
PD
Pete_D
Nov 6, 2003
Beth,

Actually I think we are both using WinXP. (I know I am)

Pete
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 6, 2003
I am using Win98SE.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 6, 2003
Ah, see? I was only half wrong – or half right, depending on your perspective! 🙂
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 7, 2003
I guess I’ve never really tried to do much about the order of the palettes in the dock – ’cause I only keep 4 there (How To, Filters, Effects, and Undo History – and I could do without Filters being there). I have Layers and Layer styles in one floating palette, and Info and Swatches in a second floater. That’s pretty much all I ever need…
BF
Barry_Fass-Holmes
Nov 7, 2003
Thanks all for posting.

To recap:

1. An Adobe engineer wrote "it’s not user configurable."
2. One Windows 98 user reported that PE does remember the user’s ordering of the palettes in PE’s dock.
3. One XP user wrote that PE does not.
4. Another XP user wrote that PE does.

So does this mean that the Adobe engineer should have written "it’s not user configurable in PE for Mac?"

And, more importantly, Rich, can this please be implemented in the next version of PE for Mac?
O
OldnSenile
Nov 26, 2003
Perhaps this will just add to the confusion, but it appears to me that, if I arrange the palette tabs using the mouse right-click and drop-down "move menu", then the order does return to the prior sequence after the next shut-down / start-up cycle.

However, if I drag the palettes down onto the work-space, and then drag them back to the dock (each inserted at the left edge) in the desired sequence, then that new order seems to be retained after the next s-d/s-u cycle.

I am using (or rather, just starting to use) PE2 on Windows Me.

OldnSenile
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 12, 2004
I just tried out the dragging palettes into the workspace then inserting them back in another order and it does work.

I have now moved Richard’s tools over to the far right hand side of the well and it no longers gets in the way of photo editing which is brilliant !

It has stayed there after closing down and then re opening Elements and it stayed when I closed down the computer and opened up again.

I’m using a MAX OS 10.2.6 … so it doesn’t seem to be just a windows thing.

Wendy

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections