LP
Posted By
Lee_Prohofsky
May 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am getting intermitent stoppages while using the Web Photo Gallery command. The routine stops at some random image, I believe it’s happening during creation or saving of the thumbnail image. Routine stops and gives me the following error message:

"Could not complete the Web Photo Gallery command because the file is already in use or was left open."

I tried this using diffferent sets of images from differrent folders. I am using Photoshop 7.0 with Mac OS X v10.3.3.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
May 19, 2004
I am using Photoshop 7.0

Not 7.0.1?

Do you have any non UNIX characters anywhere in the path (names of files, folders, drives)? Use only numbers and the letters of the English alphabet.

Also, make sure you’re not working with or trying to save files to removable media or over a network.
LP
Lee_Prohofsky
May 19, 2004
Actually, it IS version 7.0.1. But I am ok on file names an this is all happening on my hard disk with plenty of memory.
R
Ram
May 19, 2004
OK, Lee. You could have said so from the beginning. Since we don’t know what your idea of “plenty of memory” (RAM) is, nor how big your hard drive is and how much available disk space you have left (percentagewise), nor what troubleshooting steps you’ve taken so far, nor what kind of files you’re dealing with, there’s nothing else I can offer at this point.

Sorry, but we’re not mind readers.
LP
Lee_Prohofsky
May 19, 2004
I was just confirming that you were right to ask about the version number. Sorry for the incorrect emphasis.

I don’t think it’s a memory issue because I have 640 MB on my 12" powerbook. And I’ve been letting photosop have either 50% or 75% while this is occurring. My 1st attempt to solve the problem was to delete and reinstall photoshop. No luck.

Any ideas?
H
highmacx
May 21, 2004
I also have the same problem. It just quit with a message "Could not complete the Web Photo Gallery command because the file is already in use or was left open." I try to make 250 jpeg files into Web Gallery for my Company. With machine like G4-733, 1GB SDRAM, 60GB HDD + 80GB External HDD, i’m not sure what goes wrong.
LP
Lee_Prohofsky
May 21, 2004
I also was making a gallery with a large number of images. I was able to get the gallery made by breaking the job up into 70 image sections and then manually linking up the resulting index pages. However, this was more trouble than it should have been, and I still had a couple of the errors even during this process.
RK
Rick_Kitamura
May 23, 2004
I’m getting the same error messages. Running Photoshop CS 8.0, 1 Ghz Powerbook, 1 Ghz RAM, Panther. Stops randomly, with "file already open" message. File names are legal. I’ve repaired permissions, but to no avail.
RK
Rick_Kitamura
May 23, 2004
Eureka! Found out on another forum that turning off Norton Antivirus Autoprotect will solve the problem. Now works like a charm.
R
Ram
May 23, 2004
Thanks for the reminder, Rick.

This has come up before. Generally, the best policy is never to install anything with the name Norton on your boot up drive. it’s OK to run Norton’s Disk Doctor off the CD or on a separate, dedicated startup partition if you really want it there; but don’t install Norton Anti Virus, Scheduler or File Saver. They are too intrusive and cause more harm than they do good.
LP
Lee_Prohofsky
May 23, 2004
Is there something else that I should use for anti-virus instead?
R
Ram
May 23, 2004
Virex seems to work for a lot of people. Many other Mac users just don’t feel threaten by viruses.
LP
Lee_Prohofsky
May 24, 2004
I might give Virex a try. I don’t like the idea of going without. I wouldn’t want to pass on a virus to my clients on windows machines.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections