Posted By
Jerry_Holowaty
May 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
can somebody help me? I have Photoshop 7, and, can’t import photos into it…..only from my scanner……which means if somebody sends me a picture, I can’t work on it in Photoshop.
The ICONS are greyed out when I select PLACE
I have a Pantherized mac733 GHz……….PHOTOSHOP seened to bring in images before….. what happened….can someone help
I am at
sincerely, Jerry

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
May 18, 2004
Jerry,

Three housekeeping matters first:

(1) You’ll have to check here for replies. Email communications defeat the purpose of the forums, which is that everyone should profit from questions and answers, not just the poster.

(2) You need no give details about the exact versions of Photoshop you are using (you say 7, but is that 7.0.1) and your operating system, about your machine, RAM, etc.

(3) All caps is considered shouting and, therefore, rude.

All that being said, why are you trying to "Place" files? Do you even have a document open into which you want to place them?

Use the Open command instead (either by selecting it from the File menu or by typing Command O).

Have you performed any maintenance routine? What trouble shooting steps have you taken so far?
B
Buko
May 18, 2004
don’t place open.

have you thought about reading your manual??

photoshop 7 came with a really nice one.
JH
Jerry_Holowaty
May 18, 2004
Hello Ramon,

thank you very much for pointing out my faut pas. I don’t use the forum much as you can see. I apologize for my ignorance.
thank you for your advice….I did simply use the Open commandas you mentioned, and, was able to open and do touch ups to the images as I had wanted. The Photoshop is indeed Photoshop 7.01, and there is lots of RAM.
Perhaps Photoshop has made things simpler and more direct than it used to be. Its quite good. Ramon, do you know how to get several images into a photoshop document? Say, if you wanted a collage of faces, and wanted to touch them up?
Also, if you clip a face out of a picture, how can you save the face, and place it in another context? Perhaps, I just have to learn so much more.
My computer is in great shape, just needs a more experienced owner. I suppose if I wanted a collage, I could do so by placing the Photoshop items put in say Illustrator, but, then, cannot do anymore fine touch ups. Thats all I can think of.
thank you Ramon
sincerely,
Jerry
JH
Jerry_Holowaty
May 18, 2004
Hi Buko,

thank you for your advice, I was able to open and do touch ups.

much appreciated

Jerry
R
Ram
May 18, 2004
Jerry,

Photoshop is a wonderful, extremely powerful application, but it does have a very steep learning curve.

My first recommendation is to get “Photoshop Classroom in a Book”.

You may also want to look into the Julieanne Kost series of QuickTime movies on Photoshop put out by Software-Cinema:

<http://www.software-cinema.com/>

All you say you want to do is doable in Photoshop, but we couldn’t possibly teach you Photoshop here. You’ll need to do a lot of reading and studying on your own.
R
Ram
May 18, 2004
Incidentally, what’s your idea of “lots of RAM”?
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 18, 2004
And remember that Google is your best friend, as well: search phrases like "Photoshop collage" or "Photoshop Montage", but I would recommend first reading the "getting started" part (as well as the 400 other pages 😉 )of the user guide to understand the basic concepts, interface and tools explanation, as Ramon pointed it out…
JH
Jerry_Holowaty
May 19, 2004
Hi,
well, I am confirmed in my belief that there are wonderful people in the world who keep it going…..thanks Ramon and Pierre.

Ramon, I have 640 MB of RAM, not a real lot, but, was worth the investment, as I haven’t overloaded this thing yet. Is it good enough, or should I get more someday? thanks again

if I need you guys for lots of advice, I will hire you as tutors. I find the manuals very difficult to understand, however, I guess they are good.

thanks for the other tips…..

I can’t say that I like all the upgrades and changes…….however, its part of life now

Jerry
R
Ram
May 19, 2004
Jerry,

Max out your machine with RAM, as much as it will take. RAM is reasonably cheap these days, and it’s the best investment you can make to upgrade your machine and make your like a little easier.
R
Ram
May 19, 2004
I find the manuals very difficult to understand

Yes, the User Guides / Manuals are an abomination. Poorly written and badly structured. Get the Software-Cinema CDs (QuickTime movies) I mentioned above.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 19, 2004
Or, if you can afford it, get the Total training series, I’ve only seen good reviews about it!
R
Ram
May 19, 2004
I’ve had both series. Julieanne’s Kost are easier to follow and understand. Some of the Total Training clips get on my nerves (shrill, unpleasant or monotonous voices), but the instruction is good.

You can’t go wrong with either one.
JH
Jerry_Holowaty
May 24, 2004
Hi Ramon and Pierre,

Great ideas…….and if I am desperate……I can hire you guys as consultants!!!!

thank you a million

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections