RW
Posted By
Richard White
May 30, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to use Image->Mode->Duotone to convert a colour logo (original GIF file) into a shaded
monochrome version suitable for printing on single colour promo material.

I’m using photoshop 7 in WinXP Pro on a GIF file (also have TIFF version) with a transparent background.

BUT … whenever I specify the precise colour (eg. R=143, G=79, B=4), after going through the
[Grayscale], [Duotone] and then to [RGB Color] (why can’t yanks spell LOL?) I end up instead that
Black in the original is converting not to my specified colour, but to R=144, G=81, B=15.

NB: If instead of switching to [RGB Color] I revert to the original [Index Color] then I lose both the transparent background and also I can no longer save it back as a GIF/JPEG/TIFF file.

SO QUESTIONS:
** Please answer any you can help me with 🙂

1. How do I make the final picture use precisely the colour I have specified?

2. Is there a way to keep the transparent background when switching back to [Index Color]? (Once it’s gone, I can’t see how to recover it other than to Undo)

3. On a related matter, how can I switch (eg. in the solid colour original) one colour to another? I’ve tried using Image->Adjustments->Replace_color, but can’t get it to do anything.

I’ve taken a look at the Photoshop help text, but that doesn’t have a "How to…" index, and I
really don’t have time to read through the whole lot until I *may* hit upon these features.

Many thanks in advance.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections