UB
Posted By
U.B.
May 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Working on a G4 with OSX 10.3.3 and Photoshop 7.
Now i get a terrible display of color images, looks like i turn the saturation over 100%. Color settings in PS are fine, even other settings don´t change dramatically the colors. Calibrated already the monitor (ijama HM903DT A) through the systempanel/monitor. Running PS7 in Classic-Mode the colors are OK!
Even the colors of the startup-screen (the one where the eye looking through the lens) of photoshop in OSX looks awful. (the same when i start Acrobat 6.0 Standard).
Colors in other programs (e.g. Freehand MX) are ok.

It´s really not like it should be… (calibrated Mac´s and Monitors since many years, but this never happens!!!)

What´s wrong? Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
May 17, 2004
What´s wrong? Any ideas?

You didn’t read the FAQs did you??
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
May 17, 2004
I’m curious if anyone found out what exactly can be making the monitor profile go bad. No one seems to know.

I’ve currently just started using PS 7.01 OS 9.2.2 on my pismoPB and the the entire screen gray desktop and all apps starts to take on a slight chocolate cast after a long session of edits.

I thought it was my eyes going bad or because I’ve been editing a lot of photos with green foliage and my eyes can’t adjust. I’m not sure. This is weird. It’s subtle, though.

I shutdown last night and started up this morning as I type this post and everything is back to normal.
UB
U.B.
May 17, 2004
(EDIT-Note: where is the meesage from the one who told me to look into the FAQs ???)

No i didn´t.
tell me where i could find the FAQs on this o´so fine support-site and i will jump over. 😉 (Sorry but every other site uses better "forumdisplaying" and organisation of the threads…
it´s really a pain in the eyes – Adobe should know it better!!!)
B
Buko
May 17, 2004
FAQs sixth message down on the main threads page.

This site is one of the best designed forums. Its simple and uncluttered. not a lot of images and crap to download. especialy for those outside of the US that must pay for the bandwith they use.

You must be used to crappy forums.
UB
U.B.
May 17, 2004
Found it, yehaa! (Sorry, but im blinded of the colors of my Photoshop) Tryed it like described. Used the sRGB-Profil for starting calibration and not the profil OSX tells me (yes, OSX knows the type of my monitor!). But NO change at all!!!
And yes i tried this before with other profiles too.

So what next?

"This site is one of the best designed forums." You ever took a serious look at the apple supportsite. Its simple and uncluttered and not a lot of images etc…. but its ease to use and looks good….
But that´s not my problem 😉
B
Buko
May 17, 2004
You ever took a serious look at the apple supportsite.

Yes IMO its one of the worst. and its slow.

As far as your monitor maybe your video card is shot?

Photoshop uses your monitor profile to display the image. no other app uses the monitor profile. Bad profile bad display in photoshop.
UB
U.B.
May 17, 2004
Tilted videocard: i don´t think so (why it work in Classic-Mode?) Bad Profile: Nada, tested it with others too (calibrated each in "expert-mode"). And all profiles damaged or bad calibrated?!?!

The colors still totally wrong in photoshop! Unusable…..
GB
g_ballard
May 17, 2004
the profile in your classic system is less bad than the profile in your 10 system

you can prove this by copying the classic profile over and enabling it under 10 and making sure the Color Settings are the same…
UB
U.B.
May 17, 2004
I´ll give it a try. (both, have to take a look at your site too) My working day is over now… i tell you tomorrow my results.

But how can a never changed (fresh installed OS) have a so bad profile (inklusive the profile of the monitor)???
GB
g_ballard
May 17, 2004
how can a never changed (fresh installed OS) have a so bad profile

Corruption!

BTW, we need to reprofile our monitors every two weeks or so to remain accurate…
R
Ram
May 17, 2004

U.B.

Stop arguing and get to the business of solving your problem. You have been given perfect advice. Follow the instructions given in the links provided by G Ballard to the letter.

Whether you want to believe it or not, the problem is your monitor profile.

The Apple discussion boards are the pits. A while back they tried to force that scheme on us here and there was a tremendous uproar that forced Adobe to go back to the classic Adobe forum design. So don’t go knocking the interface if you want to get help here. 🙂

Remember that this is a User-to-User forum, we are all users just like you with no obligation whatsoever to respond to your inquiries. Some Adobe staff check here on their own time as volunteers, but basically what you’ll find here is users helping other users.

Check back with us if your problem persists.
R
Ram
May 17, 2004

U.B.,

G Ballard makes yet another good point. Profile your monitor often.

I profile mine at least a couple of times a week, sometimes daily, and I use hardware calibration pucks to do it. One came with my main monitor, the other I had bought separately and that’s the one I use on my second monitor.

Monitors change over time.
GB
g_ballard
May 17, 2004
If your monitor is an Hitachi, you may have a known problem with custom profiles hosing your Photoshop colors that way…

+++++++

Here is a simple test to help evaluate if a bad monitor profile is whacking out your PSD color:

Displays (System Preferences)> Color> highlight AppleRGB or sRGB (don’t run Calibrate), quit and reboot.

If the PSD colors are back under control, then the problem was most surely a bad monitor profile — go back into Displays> Color and Calibrate a good profile — highlight (load) sRGB, or preferably, the monitor’s OEM profile as a starting point.

BTW, I trust you are testing known good (tagged) files, not the same bad files?

+++++++

The Hitachi will display a fresh AppleRGB/sRGB profile normal, but "calibrating" a new profile will hose the color again. I haven’t seen a posted fix solution work around for this issue.
R
Ram
May 17, 2004
Tim,

It seems there are all kinds of things that can lead to corruption of the monitor profile.

The most recent case I’ve experienced was when I installed MS Office X about a week ago. It was instantaneous. The corruption made everything like I was set to 256 colors. Recalibrated, saved the new profile and all was well in a few minutes.
UB
U.B.
May 18, 2004
Ok, my tests so far…

Opened my reference-file in Photoshop and let it open in the background to see what happens when i change profiles etc…
Selected a profile in Displays (System Preferences) that was unused and ok (in this case sRGB). And my colors in PS jumped back to "normal".

Ok, now i calibrate my monitor with this profile (all ok in my photoshopfile in the background). But when i save my calibrated profile and jump back into photoshop -> the colors totally wrong again!!!
The result is: every profile i calibrate and save get shooted/corrupt/bad/a piece of crap/not usable….
I can only use profiles uncalibrated!

Seems to be a bug in OSX? Or do i have to reinstall my whole system?
R
Ram
May 18, 2004

U.B.

You are somehow not calibrating your monitor properly. The fact that your colors go back to normal when you set your system to a fresh canned profile proves it. Are you saving the new monitor profile under a new name? (You should.) Did you trash the old corrupt profile before calibrating, or did you just let it sit there?

This is not a bug in the OS. More likely PEBKAC (user error) or perhaps software corruption somewhere in your system.

When you calibrate you shouldn’t have any other program running (shut them all down, including Photoshop. The proper way to calibrate is as follows: Set your system to one of the canned profiles (like the sRGB you have). Trash the corrupted profile. Then RESTART your computer. Recalibrate (with no other application open), set your system to the new profile and then RESTART your computer once again.

Have you Repaired Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility)? You MUST Repair Permissions before and after installing any new software that uses an installer (as opposed to just copying).

Have you tried running DiskWarrior? What routine maintenance do you perform? Are you running any haxies? What other troubleshooting steps have you taken?

Have you updated to Photoshop 7.0.1?

Please answer all those questions.
R
Ram
May 18, 2004
Also, let your monitor run for at least 30 minutes to let it stabilize before recalibrating. Keep the ambient light to a minimum while you recalibrate.

Ideally, get a hardware calibration puck.
GB
g_ballard
May 18, 2004
every profile I calibrate and save get shooted/corrupt/bad/a piece of
crap/not usable…I can only use profiles uncalibrated!

What model brand of monitor?
Reads like it may not be compatible with 10.3x…
R
Ram
May 18, 2004

U.B.,

G B is right. You never responded to his comment about Hitachi monitors. What brand is your monitor?
UB
U.B.
May 19, 2004
Sorry couldn´t post yesterday anymore….
Monitor is a iyama HM903DT A. But OSX recognize it and shows me up a profile of it.

What i did so far …..

""" You are somehow not calibrating your monitor properly. The fact that your colors go back to normal when you set your system to a fresh canned profile proves it. Are you saving the new monitor profile under a new name? (You should.) """

Yes, i saved it under a new name.

""" Did you trash the old corrupt profile before calibrating, or did you just let it sit there? """

The first couple of test not , then yes, deleted all not needed profiles (only sRGB left over), deleted the monitor-profile the system showed me up (in this case "HM903DTA" the connected iyama-monitor) too. After restart OSX rebuilded it.

""" This is not a bug in the OS. More likely PEBKAC (user error) or perhaps software corruption somewhere in your system.
When you calibrate you shouldn’t have any other program running (shut them all down, including Photoshop. The proper way to calibrate is as follows: Set your system to one of the canned profiles (like the sRGB you have). Trash the corrupted profile. Then RESTART your computer. Recalibrate (with no other application open), set your system to the new profile and then RESTART your computer once again. """

Did it like you mentioned it above. After the second restart colors strange/and unusable as ever!!! (there´s really no more other apps open on calibration). If i select "sRGB" and don´t change it – colors are "ok". But i want a "as good as possible" calibrated system and not "its not gonna be better situation, imagine the colors" !!!
Whatever "good" profile i take, after calibrating and saving under new name, it´s getting "bad, very bad".
Calibrated 4 other Macs with OSX & PS 7 without restarting and so on, and they are working. but why this fxxxxxx machine not?

""" Have you Repaired Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility)? You MUST Repair Permissions before and after installing any new software that uses an installer (as opposed to just copying). """

Repaired them with Disk Utility, before this "testrun" all maintenance with Cocktail done.

""" Have you tried running DiskWarrior? What routine maintenance do you perform? Are you running any haxies? What other troubleshooting steps have you taken? """

No, don´t have DiskWarrior. Maintenance = Disk Utility & Cocktail. No haxies. I don´t have anymore ideas for troubleshooting steps….

""" Have you updated to Photoshop 7.0.1? """

Yes, its PS 7.0.1.

But it´s defintely a profile-problem. Colors are wrong in the whole finder (with selected bad profile)
B
Buko
May 19, 2004
I’d say your monitor is the problem.

never heard of iyama.
UB
U.B.
May 19, 2004
perhaps they sale only at europe….
It is a 19" monitor. On another Mac (G5) there is a Iyama too (21"). And no problems…..
R
Ram
May 19, 2004

U.B.,

It sounds like you’ve tried all I can think of. The monitor remains the only suspect. It’s entirely possible for a specific size and model to have an incompatibility with OS X and not other models in the same line.
GB
g_ballard
May 19, 2004
On another Mac (G5) there is a Iiyama too (21"). And no problems…..

This sounds too obvious, but plug the flaky monitor and its cable into the similar Mac running the Iiyama on the same OS. Plug the good monitor into the flaky Mac…
JG
Joe_Goeldel
Jul 22, 2004
In case anyone is still reading this…

I had the same trouble with the same monitor, but I found a work-around.

Trash all of the monitor profiles in the system library and any user libraries. Shut down the computer.
Shut down the monitor.
With the monitor power switch still turned off, start up the computer. Wait a sufficient time for the computer to finish starting up, then switch on the monitor. You will probably have to go to system preferences and reset your monitor resolution. Calibrate the monitor as usual and save the profile.

Always start the computer with the monitor turned off, or you will have to do the whole thing over again.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections