GD
Posted By
Gustavo_Del_Vechio
May 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It’s simple: With gamma loader, I have calibrate my monitor. To work on photoshop with more accurate, I must work with this profile ICC, selecting monitor RGB????

Can I use any ICC profile for my monitor?????

Example: If my monitor have a color range limit (example: sRGB), using sRGB or Adobe RGB in photoshop, would not it display the same??? Because, if my monitor does not support range bigger than sRGB, all above it, might display the same colors. Thus, do not have different between them, (in this case) ok???? or no???

So, open an image with sRGB proflie.. Click Image menu > Mode > Assign Profile and switch to Adobe RGB… Why does photoshop look like to increase saturation????

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Pipkin
May 28, 2005
No, you can not use any ICC profile for your monitor — only vendor provided one. If you haven’t got one, open Adobe Gamma, Loag standart sRGB ICC, then thoroughly calibrate your monitor and save new settings as a profile with different name. After all, install your new made profile under Display Properties/Color Management and set it by default.

* * In such a way I recalibrated (made more exact and precise) my own LCD mobitor (BENQ FP767) using factory given ICC profile.

Maybe it’ll help you. But everything is just my private opinion & experience. Regards.
GD
Gustavo_Del_Vechio
May 28, 2005
Pipkin,,,

Hi
Could you explain me what´s the difference between convert to profile command and assign profile command in photoshop???

Thank´s
Gustavo…
B
birdman
May 28, 2005
You need a better understanding of color management and monitor calibration than simple answers in this news group can give.
ONe common reason for assigning a profile, rather than staying with (for most users) AdobeRGB or sRGB, is for use with a custom calibrated printer/paper profile and converting an image for printing in that unique color space.
Since you are still grappling with Adobe Gamma it does not sound like you are there yet.
L
LenHewitt
May 28, 2005
Gustavo,

The ONLY time you would Assign a profile is when you had an untagged image which you knew to be in a particular colour space, such as from a particular scanner whose colour space you knew and had a profile for.

If you assign a profile to an image NOT in that colour space, all you are doing is lying to the colour management system, and that will lead to bad colour. It’s like taking a piece of text written in French and sticking a label on it saying "This text is in German".

Convert to profile is taking that French Text, translating it to German and THEN sticking on the "This text in German" label
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 31, 2005
Very good, concise explanation, Len.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections