Rick_Morton
May 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a new dual 2.0 G5.
Photoshop CS.
After I’ve worked for 15 minutes or so… can’t relate any specific sequence… the computer goes into kernel panic crash. The gray screen slowly falls from the top down, with the message YOU NEED TO RESTART YOUR COMPUTER.
This is so frustrating.
Has anyone had this problem?

RM

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

GB
g_ballard
May 15, 2004
Yep, BTDT, you need to start removing hardware — all nonApple factory hardware.

Including RAM (ruleout/test all ram, including Apple Ram), USB, Firewire, Network, all PCI cards…

Taking off one item at a time, restarting from shutdown, trying to duplicate may save some time…

If you get it back to a factory hardware configuration, and problem doesn’t clear, send it in for warranty service.

Though I would MELTDOWN the Harddrive/install first in case it’s a bad install (something I could fix).

<http://www.gballard.net/macrant/meltdown.html>
<http://www.gballard.net/macrant/ram.html>
<http://www.gballard.net/psd/troubleshootpurgepsd.html>
RM
Rick_Morton
May 16, 2004
But why does this crash ONLY in Photoshop?
I’ve reinstalled the program and thought I was ok, but it just happened again. I worked a bit, saved, then closed the file and bam… the gray kernel panic screen.

RM
R
Ram
May 16, 2004
Rick,

Did you remember to trash the Preferences file before reinstalling Photoshop? Otherwise you end up right where you started.

I’ll try to locate the April Fools issue on MacAddict, which had a number of nasty suggestions to inflict pain on others. Does anyone else have access to your machine?
R
Ram
May 16, 2004
Incidentally, I’d still follow G Ballard’s suggestions. If it is a true kernel panic (as opposed to a malicious hoax), this indicates far greater problems than a bad Photoshop install.
R
RJBuck
May 17, 2004
I’d like to emphasize one of G Ballard’s suggestions. Test the RAM. Run Apple’s hardware test.
J
jonf
May 17, 2004
But why does this crash ONLY in Photoshop?

Probably because Photoshop is much more demanding on your system than other applications you’re using.
R
Ram
May 17, 2004
DR
David_Rethoret
May 18, 2004
I had an average of three kernal panics a day for about three weeks after installing P’shop CS. Technical support gave me all the advice found in the rest of these messages with no positive results. I then increased my RAM by 1 GB and haven’t had a panic since. Try it, as they say in Brooklyn, "It can’t hoit".
Dave Rethoret
AW
Aaron_Wheeler
May 18, 2004
try clearing the p ram by holding down the "p" and "r" keys while restarting until you hear a tone.
also test your hd for errors
G
graffiti
May 18, 2004
try clearing the p ram by holding down the "p" and "r"

Actually, it’s the Command + Option + P + R keys. 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections