KE
Posted By
Kirk_Eberle
May 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was plugging away at a project when all of a sudden, my space+apple+option and space+apple zoom in and zoom out shortcut keys stopped working!I opened Illustrator to see if it was just a Photoshop problem, but I have the same problems there too! All the other short cuts work fine, just my magnification shortcut doesn’t work.

Funny thing I noticed, If I press space+option….I get my minus magnification tool working…the zoom in has yet to be found. Anyone else out there have a similar problem? It’s truely frustrating to not have these abilities turned on…it completely slows down the development of any project.

If it’s important knowledge, I’m running OS X Panther, and Photoshop 7.0. I’ve tried to find any system preferences to reset (via OS) nothing to really find as far as I know.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
David_McGaw
May 17, 2004
Yes! I have been experiencing the same things — and they JUST started May 14.

I have deleted preference files and this doesn’t seem to change things. I have also turned on and off the system Keyboard Shortcuts (System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts); nothing.

What I find especially odd is that holding down spacebar will display the "hand" pointer, but when you click to actually drag the page, it reverts to the pointer. Same with zoom, option+drag to duplicate, etc.

Here’s the kicker: the only system change I underwent around the time this problem appeared was installing Office 2004. Coincidence?

I, too, find this COMPLETELY frustrating… after coming to depend on these shortcuts, I feel like I’m working with three fingers taped together or something.
KB
Ken_Bitz
May 17, 2004
He he he! Although not ruled out, I doubt it’s Office 2004 that gave you the troubles, as I do not run it in my machine. Then again, WHO KNOWS?! LOL! I too tried messing with my preferrences, no solution here yet either. Do you recall maybe pressing an odd combination of keys while working in PhotoShop before this happened?

ie) pressing say, OPT + APPLE + SHIFT + "F"

Of coure the above is just an example, as I have no idea of the combination I may have pressed before the problem occured.

It’s really bizzarre that you had the same thing happen to you on the same day…although I completely doubt it’s date related. ARGH! Selecting the actual "zoom tool" is getting on my nerves! Another thing that doesn’t work anymore is the good ol’ "Apple" + "=" and "Apple" + "-". Well one works (too lazy to confirm which one), the other is disabled.

Question David, are you too running Panther? I’m having NOTHING but problems everyday since the upgrade with EVERYTHING from networking to burning CDs. Everyday I find a new odd problem. This PhotoShop thing is unfortunatly NOT the latest problem! It took me about 3hrs to relearn how to burn a custom hybrid CD in TOAST!

If nobody figures this problem out, I’m afraid I’m going to reformat my drive and go back to good ol’ semi-reliable Jaguar.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
May 17, 2004
Arrrg… It is frustrating to listen to the above conversation and not know what to recommend. I can tell you what I would do, as I always do when I’ve reached the end of my rope on a problem: Call the certified Apple Tech to your location and have them sort it out. I’ve never had them fail me. So, it goes in the shop and needs a new processor, at least you’ve gotten to the root of the problem and made it right. Your machine should run like perfection with Panther, most everyone’s here is.
AD
Andrew_D._Rodney
May 18, 2004
–>Here’s the kicker: the only system change I underwent around the time this problem appeared was installing Office 2004. Coincidence?

I think so. I’m running Panther and Office 2004 and the keys are working as they should.
R
Ram
May 18, 2004
Have you Repaired Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility)? Are you letting your machine run 24/7? Have you tried running Cocktail?

What routine maintenance have you been performing?

Generally, you should Repair Permissions before and after installing any new software that utilizes an installer application. Actually, this is a MUST. If the machine is not on 24/7, you need to run Cocktail so it performs the routines that are otherwise performed automatically in the wee hours of the night or morning.
R
Ram
May 18, 2004
If Office 2004 uses an installer (I don’t know because I don’t have 2004 yet) and you did not Repair Permissions, then it’s no coincidence that the trouble started when you installed it.
KB
Ken_Bitz
May 18, 2004
Hilarious. I started using PhotoShop today, and wow! All my controls are back! If you ask how’d I do it…I’ll tell I have no clue! I think Panther has met it’s wit’s end with me. I’m reformatting and going back to Jaguar on the weekend (fun)

So…so far my solution is be patient…after a few days of restarts it’ll work…

* rolls eyes*
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 18, 2004
Or did you just happen to have the machine on in the middle of the night so that the Cron scripts were actually able to run?

Before you go back to Jaguar, I seriously suggest that you buy, and run, Cocktail.

OSX, like all Systems, needs regular maintenance — and this is essential both BEFORE AND AFTER installing any new software.
DM
David_McGaw
May 18, 2004
Folks, thanks for all the tips… I should have mentioned all that up front. Yes, I run Panther, and yes, I fixed permissions before and after all installs, and several times a week. I’ve run Cocktail to delete caches, and have run the cron scripts as well (although my machine does run 24/7).

I wish I had unlimited time to troubleshoot–heck, just for fun, I’d reinstall everything from scratch–but in a production environment, that’s not an option.
DM
David_McGaw
May 20, 2004
New information:

I found the following posted at < http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&a mp;threadm=1dea4bf2.1%40WebX.la2eafNXanI&rnum=6&prev =/groups%3Fq%3Dillustrator%2Bshortcuts%2Bzoom%2Boption%26hl% 3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D1dea4bf2.1%2540WebX.la2ea fNXanI%26rnum%3D6>

This would explain a lot…

————

Maybe Marc is running into the infamous "Mac OS X disables modifier keys on mouse events" bug, and it isn’t really the Zoom shortcuts per se that are the problem?

Marc, if your Zoom shortcuts are not working as expected, check to see if a Shift-drag constrains the move to a straight line, and an Option-Drag creates a duplicate. If they don’t, then your modifier keys are being suppressed.

This is a Jaguar bug which was finally fixed in 10.2.5, but came back in one of the security updates to 10.2.6. (They intentionally suppress them at certain times as a security measure, for example while awaiting a password. They are then supposed to reenable them when the secure mode is relaxed. But there are two ways that applications can ask which modifier keys are down on a mouse event, one of them newer and now more recommended than the other – the old way is ‘deprecated’, which is programmer’s lingo for "we’ll support it for a few years to give you time to update your apps, but it isn’t going to last forever" – and when Apple adds new security code they keep forgetting to turn them back on in a way that works for those programs still accessing the keys in the ‘deprecated’ way.)

It affects many games as well as most Adobe applications.

But if you never do any of the operations that turn on the security features (most of them involve password protection), then you tend not to run into this bug. I never encountered it even in 10.2.4.
DM
David_McGaw
May 24, 2004
Update:

Working on the theory that the problem is related to a security bug (first introduced in Jaguar, posted above), I tried downloading and installing the 10.3.3 Combined Updater. After permissions repair before & after, cache deletion, forced pre-binding, etc. etc., the shortcuts worked.

Now, they don’t again.

I also am now noticing the SAME problem in Photoshop. I have also begun seeing other posts (notably also in the Adobe Forums, "SHIFT & OPTION KEYS NOT WORKING") suggesting this problem is happening to several people.

Adobe has posted an answer here: <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2ec96.htm>
P
Phosphor
May 24, 2004
An appropriate link for you, Mr. McGaw. Please read up on it, before the natives take your head off and make soup out of you:

How to create short links < http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/r_harvey/adobehtm.h tm>.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections