C
Posted By
chazcron
May 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I love how Adobe allows marquee zooms in the image window whilst in a filter dialog box. However, if you do the same thing in the little preview window (command+space mouse drag), it is goodbye Photoshop. I know it does this in several other blur filters. This is another bug that will probably go unfixed, like the inoperable bloat pressure in the Liquify filter and the regular and unpredictable crash in the motion blur filter.

Is it pride that prevents a Photoshop 8.0.1? These bugs are real and affect me on a daily basis.

Try these yourself (after saving, of course)

I’ve tried them on several G5s and G4s.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
PShock
May 13, 2004
You’re right – use the zoom tool on the preview window – crash. After almost 10 years of using Photoshop, I’ve never once noticed this —- probably because it seems rather stupid to use the zoom marque in the preview box. I guess it would still qualify as a "bug" (you shouldn’t be ABLE to force a crash), but WHY in the world would you do this? You do notice the little +/- buttons to change preview size, right?

"Doctor, my arm hurts when I walk on my hands". "Well then, walk with your legs … like you’re supposed to!" 😉

-phil
C
chazcron
May 13, 2004
After 14 years of holding down the command and spacebar and dragging over an area to quickly zoom on something you want to enlarge, and you will notice that you don’t even think about it. It becomes second nature, Doc.

Space bar in the preview: moves image

Command key in the preview: zooms image

Command space keys in the image: Immediate crash

Bug.
AR
Andrew_Rodney
May 13, 2004
Can confirm that you are indeed correct. Under OSX, this causes the application to crash. Good find!
P
PShock
May 13, 2004
No, I’m pretty sure I never noticed because I rely on the image window, rather than the preview window. You do have valid points though and it does seem to work fine in PS7. (sorry about the "stupid" comment) 😉

Just checked again in CS and it appears DRAGGING the zoom tool causes the crash. Simply clicking (even Command+Space clicking), seems fine.

-phil
C
chazcron
May 13, 2004
Check my original post: "(command+space mouse drag)"

I was blurring a subtle adjustment layer and needed to fine tune the grayscale of the layer mask. Yes, I have 2 huge monitors, and almost always use the actual window, but I was already in the dialog box and couldn’t view the greyscale in the actual window. To my knowledge, I’ve never marquee-zoomed in a dialog box either.

You needn’t belittle someone’s bug report especially when you confirmed it yourself.

Adobe acknowledged the bug in the Liquify filter months ago, yet no patch. I don’t have tech support anymore, (nor should I need it just to get a bug confirmed) or I’d have called this one in, not likely they’d issue a patch anyway.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 14, 2004
Yeah – that looks like a real bug.

I’ll get someone to write it up.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections