F
Posted By
fat0n3s
May 26, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know this has been posted here more than a few times because I have read just about every thread there is on this subject, in hope to find a cure.

PROBLEM:

When info pallet is open, and a semi-transparent cusur like paint brush is over an image, my CPU maxes out at 100%, and there is serious lag in cursor movement.

SOLUTION:

I don’t think there is one.

The only "work around" I have found is to keep the info pallett off while using semi-transparent cursors.

STEPS I TOOK TO FIND SOLUTION:

1. Installed 10 of the latest Nvidia video card drivers out.(One by one of chorse. =D) Problem is the same with each one. Installed a few nvidia drivers from 2 years ago, the problem remains.

I even tried to turn my Geforce video card in a quadro card. LOL. Nothing shakin. =(

2. Removed sevice pack 1, and installed service pack 2. Problem remains.

3. Reformated hard drive. Installed Win XP. Installed SP2. Installed lastest XP updates. Installed latest video card driver. Installed DirectX 9.0c. Installed Photoshop CS2. Problem remains.

4. Tried to open a file from the Bridge into PCS2. Problem remains.

5. Reduced Photoshop CS2’s CPU priority to low in windows task manager. The CPU stayed at 99-100% usage, but the cursor was a tiny bit smoother. 8\

SIDE NOTES:

Photoshop CS never had this problem for me.

Also, Image Ready CS2 does NOT have this problem for me. Which was surprising. =O

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this, that is not mentioned in the above solutions?

I personaly think the overall "lag" CS2 has is linked to this problem in general.

I am starting to think it is pure luck that CS2 works great for some. I have no idea what else to do.

Thanks for reading my ramble.

SPECS:

Windows XP Home – Fresh Install 6 hours ago.
Nvidia Geforce 4 MX420 – Latest drivers installed.
SP2
DirectX 9.0c
Pentium III 1.0Ghz
512 RAM

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

F
fat0n3s
May 26, 2005
One other question.

I noticed when the brush cursor moves over an image, the cursor itself changes color.

I think that could also be the problem with my topic above. Any cursor that doesn’t change color, uses about 5-10% CPU. Compared to 90-100% CPU to the ones that do.

How can I turn that feature off? I just want a solid color cursor, not one that changes color.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 26, 2005
You can’t turn it off.

And it’s not that it changes color – but that it is drawn with a blend mode to guarantee contrast over all colors.
F
fat0n3s
May 26, 2005
I see. Thanks for your response. =)

It is a great feature, but I am thinking it is the straw the breaks photoshop’s back, in terms of cpu usage for some of us.

I noticed that PS CS2 min system calls for a PIII or higher.

Maybe I just need a new PC. =D

I think it’s time to start kissing up to the wife. =P

Chris, what do you recommend in terms of video cards? I could care less about games. 99% of my time is on photoshop. I think I should try a new vid card first, but from what I read, nvidia and ATI might not be the best choice.

I am running PCI right now because I don’t have an AGP slot.
L
LenHewitt
May 26, 2005
could care less about games. 99% of my time is on photoshop.<<

Take a look at the Matrox stable
P
Pipkin
May 26, 2005
wait for Adobe correction this common bug…
And others…
CC
Chris_Cox
May 26, 2005
What bug?

So far, fat is the only one seeing 100% CPU usage. And I don’t know why. (the cursor only draws when you move it, and it doesn’t take a lot of time)
F
fat0n3s
May 27, 2005
I don’t think I am the only one who is having this problem.

After reading many threads posted here, and at other forums, it seems I am one of many. How many? I don’t know.

When reading threads about the "mouse lag", or "mouse stuck in the mud" with CS2, I’m 99% sure it is from the cpu running at 99-100%. The reason for the lag, is there is not enough CPU left for ALL of the mouse movement, when CS2 is using 100%

It ONLY runs at 99-100% when the info tab is open, and the cursor is only moving across an image file. It ALSO lags, when painting, with info tab open. When the cursor is still, the CPU drops back to idle.

How many people are having this problem? Please post here if you are.

The way to tell if your CPU is maxed out at 100% is to open an image file.

Open the info tab in CS2.

Select your paint brush tool.

Hit CTRL – ALT – DEL to open windows task manager.

Leave windows task manager open, and click on the image in photoshop.

After clicking on the image, move your cursor around.

Does your CPU usage increase to 90-100%?

Is the cursor real jerky?

The only reason I am going through all of this trouble is because I love all the new features in CS2. If I can’t figure out what is wrong here, I am going to have to stay with CS, and not buy the upgrade.

Thanks for your replies. =D
CC
Chris_Cox
May 27, 2005
AND tell us your video card and other machine/OS information so we can try to reproduce the problem.
PB
Paul_Budzik
May 27, 2005
FontOn3s is not the the only one seeing this problem. I have twice the resources he does and I checked my CPU usage and it does indeed peek to 100% as the brush is moved faster. I have already posted my system stats (AMD processor, gig of ram, ATI Fire GL 128 card etc.). I have had several (what seemed like) concerned responses from ATI and they do not feel the problem lies with their drivers.

I also believe if you read FontOn3s original post he stated what you are asking for:

"
SPECS:
Windows XP Home – Fresh Install 6 hours ago.
Nvidia Geforce 4 MX420 – Latest drivers installed.
SP2
DirectX 9.0c
Pentium III 1.0Ghz
512 RAM
"

I think this info palatte behavior is a problem. But from your response, I guess you don’t.
PB
Paul_Budzik
May 27, 2005
Also, brush tool with info palette open in Photoshop 7 yields a mere 3% CPU usage. That is a pretty substantial difference between the two versions.
C
chrisjbirchall
May 27, 2005
Intrigued by this thread, I’ve just run a test: With the info palette open and by selecting a large brush I too can get CPU usage to peak at about 93% when I move the brush vigorously. (ADM64 3200+ XP SP2)

On one of my other machines, an AMD (32bit) 3200+ XP SP2, I can get it to peak at 98%.

However, I notice no slowdown whatsoever on either machine.

I’m not convinced that when Task Manager shows 100% usage, it really means it at all!

Let me give you an example. My second machine has a CCTV surveillance set-up installed. When this is running, the Task manager reports CPU usage maxed out at 100%. Period. All of the time the program is running.

I use Lotus Word Pro and Approach on the same machine (with a substantial relational database). And I can run Photoshop too – all with no noticeable slowdowns. Yet the CCTV prog supposedly "eats" 100% of my CPU even when it’s the only thing running. Furthermore, this computer has been running 24/7 for the past four months.

This leads me to believe we should take the Task Manager’s info with a large pinch of salt.

I’ve long advocated we should stop looking at numbers and start looking at images.

Chris.
F
fat0n3s
May 27, 2005
Task Manager has never lied to me before. At least not that I know of.

I have ran other tests in the past on CPU usage, and task manager was right on the money for me.

Also, when a CPU is maxed out, you can actualy hear it. Might sound crazy, but it’s true.

Just because your CPU is running at 100%, dosen’t mean you will experence lag.

An example of this:

Do the test I explained in my last post, but this time set the priority to LOW for photoshop. Is your mouse lag gone, or at least better? Is the CPU still running at 90-100%?
PB
Paul_Budzik
May 27, 2005
Why when I use ps7, the change in CPU usage is virtually unchanged when the brush is moved? The same conditions, using the same Task Manager in CS2 get a huge peak every time the brush is moved. And I’m sorry, there is a difference , albeit slight, in the brush movement with the info palette opened or closed and in PS7, the brush movement is smooth as glass.
G
GordonGraham
May 27, 2005
Reminds me of the old software joke: "We’ve got to optimize the idle task because it’s using 100% of the CPU."

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections