Image Optimization Problem – Assistance PLEASE!

A
Posted By
AaronArmstrong
May 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m having a compatibility problem with ImageReady CS for OSX and PC-based web browsers.

On many different Macs, the images on a site I’m working on show up normally, however on a PC they appear as an inverted black and white image.

Anyone know why this would be happening?

Thanks,

Aaron

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
May 13, 2004
The one PC appears to be damaged.
NK
Neil_Keller
May 13, 2004
I would guess that your .jpg or .gif files are possibly damaged, or incorrectly implemented on the Web site — although I’m not sure how that would happen.

Neil
A
AaronArmstrong
May 13, 2004
I’ll have to take a look at my upload setting and see if I can fix the problem there.

Aaron
A
AaronArmstrong
May 15, 2004
Okay, so apparently the problem is a compatibility issue with pre-IE6 browsers in Windows.

Is there any way to fix this aside from telling people to upgrade (which they won’t do)?

Aaron
R
Ram
May 15, 2004
Can you post a link?
A
AaronArmstrong
May 15, 2004
R
Ram
May 16, 2004
Aaron,

I’m not ignoring you; I just haven’t been able to reproduce your problem yet. I’ll try again on Monday on yet another Windows box. Your image looked fine on a Windows laptop running MS IE 5.x. It also looks fine on my Mac running SoftWindows 98 in Classic under Panther on my G4, but then that’s a 6.x version of Windows MS IE.
A
AaronArmstrong
May 17, 2004
It’s all good, Ramón; I’ve reuploaded from one of our OS 9 to keep my client from freaking out.

I’ll be putting together another test site sometime this week and I’ll post a link.

The problem might be visible then.

Thanks,

Aaron
A
AaronArmstrong
May 17, 2004
And it seems it still doesn’t work even after reuploading… this is very odd.

Aaron
R
Ram
May 17, 2004
Aaron,

OK; I’ve been able to replicate your problem now, on a Windows box running Windows XP Pro and MS IE 6.0.2800.

It was not present on MS IE 6.x under Windows 98 nor on the Mac, so I’m inclined to think it’s related to XP, and I suspect it doesn’t like one or more of the color tags in the html source code. On the Mac, I let iCab generate an error report and it was mostly complaining about the attribute "HEIGHT" in your page not being kosher.

I don’t think it’s your image at all, because the text is all messed up too, so it doesn’t look like a Photoshop issue.

I have next to no expertise in web pages, so the only thing I would suggest is that you run the error report yourself in iCab and see if that tells you anything.

You can download iCab (free trial version) from <http://icab.de> .

If you do, set the Error Report preferences to something like 250, although if I remember correctly your page returned about 10 errors or so.
GB
g_ballard
May 17, 2004
I just downloaded iCAB and ran an Error Report on my index page — yikes!
A
AaronArmstrong
May 17, 2004
Thanks Ramón; I’ll give that a shot.

Aaron
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 17, 2004
Does iCAB find errors beyond those that GoLive CS can find?
R
Ram
May 17, 2004
Ann,

There are several levels of sensitivity that you can set in iCab as far as error reporting. I have no clue as to GoLive.

iCab can indeed be very, very, extraordinarily fussy about a lot of minor errors. Mind you, it doesn’t help you fix them, it just points them out to you.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 17, 2004
GoLive seems to be pretty good at finding normal html and missing link problems.

However, it can’t cope with the requirements of hosting companies that have their own in-house rules which forbid: subsidiary directories; insist on all l/c 8.3 file naming; demand that index.html be named "home.htm"; insist on the removal of DS store files etc., etc., etc..

Such fun to have to rename and configure the entire contents of a Site (which works perfectly well on a different hosting-server) to comply with the vagaries of the new Host.
A
AaronArmstrong
May 18, 2004
Sorry, when you refer to the text being all messed up are you referring to some of it being bold and some not?

I’ve reuploaded the HTML pages (I deleted the old tables and made new ones – figured it might help). Are you still getting the error Ramón?

Aaron
R
Ram
May 18, 2004
Aaron,

Sorry, when you refer to the text being all messed up are you referring to some of it being bold and some not?

It was barely readable, fuzzy, nearly translucent, white and gray (I guess the bold parts were gray, the rest dirty white. That was on the Windows XP Pro machine.

I’ve reuploaded the HTML pages (I deleted the old tables and made new ones – figured it might help). Are you still getting the error Ramón?

Unfortunately, I wont be back at the Windows box for at least another twelve hours. It looks fine on my Mac.
A
AaronArmstrong
May 18, 2004
Hmmm.. that’s very odd – the barely readable transluscent, fuzzy thing…

This is one of the only times I wished I had a PC at home. Would make this whole thing so much easier 🙂

Aaron
GB
g_ballard
May 19, 2004
Ramón,
Check out this thread ( I asked the MM support about iCabs’ errors on my MM page):

< http://www.bigbangextensions.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=161 0>
R
Ram
May 19, 2004
G B,

Maybe you missed the part about the different levels of sensitivity to which the iCab error reporting utility can be set. In any event, nothing in that thread contradicts anything that has been said here.

Here’s the key line in the thread you cite:

…the real test of validation is whether or not the page displays as you desire in all the commonly-used browsers.

That’s precisely the problem Aaron has now, his page was (is?) not displaying properly on (of all things) MS IE for Windows, which is indeed a problem for a promotional, commercial web site, to say the least.

It was not my intention to advise using iCab for this or for any other purpose. It’s simply the only means I have at my disposal right now to try to understand why so many web pages are a mess. Personally, I’m not involved or concerned with production or maintenance of web pages, I just view them. That’s why I don’t have any other web tools. I don’t even use ImageReady or Save for Web, ever. I don’t need to put any images on the web, save for occasionally posting an image to my IP’s FTP space in order to illustrate something in a discussion.
R
Ram
May 19, 2004
BTW, there is an explanation of error reports at the iCab site, as well as a list of sample pages with no errors at all.
GB
g_ballard
May 19, 2004
Thanks…I’ll give it a look.
A
AaronArmstrong
May 19, 2004
Just wanted to let you know that the problem has been solved.

I went back through everything, including the stylesheets and recreated them.

Now it works perfectly.

Aaron
R
Ram
May 20, 2004
Glad you fixed it, Aaron.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections