Posted By
tmd99328
Aug 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greetings everyone.

I’m trying to take pictures of original artwork and optimize them for a website. The medium the artist uses is a bark-paper that has edges which I can only describe as similar to the egde of a hole in jeans after they have been washed a few times. Because of these edges I can’t have a solid background.

I’ve removed the existing background to a transparency and use the ‘save for web’ option. Obviously I want them to be jpeg’s, and am trying to get them to the <20k range, but this is where I encounter problems. I’ve tried the ‘matte’ (matching the matte color to the web page color) option, as well as using the web page color as a background on a different layer but I always end up with a halo effect. My guess is that the matte and/or background layer quality is being lost in the optimization process…

Can someone point me in the right direction or am I just sol?

Thanks folks.

tmd

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MR
Mike Russell
Aug 12, 2003
tmd wrote:
Greetings everyone.

I’m trying to take pictures of original artwork and optimize them for a website. The medium the artist uses is a bark-paper that has edges which I can only describe as similar to the egde of a hole in jeans after they have been washed a few times. Because of these edges I can’t have a solid background.

I’ve removed the existing background to a transparency and use the ‘save for web’ option. Obviously I want them to be jpeg’s, and am trying to get them to the <20k range, but this is where I encounter problems. I’ve tried the ‘matte’ (matching the matte color to the web page color) option, as well as using the web page color as a background on a different layer but I always end up with a halo effect. My guess is that the matte and/or background layer quality is being lost in the optimization process…

Can someone point me in the right direction or am I just sol?

There are a number of alternatives. One is to use png, which allows you to represent true transparency on a web page image, modulo the matte color. Another is to use a transparent GIF, which may not look all that bad depending on the type of artwork.

Finally, jpg should work reasonably well, provided you match the background with a web safe color. You may be running into problems with the mask being generated incorrectly – for example with the magic wand tool with no anti-aliasing, or the tolderance set too small.

It would be informative if you posted a link to one of your images.

Mike Russell
http://www.curvemeister.com
http://www.zocalo.net/~mgr
http://geigy.2y.net

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections