IM
Posted By
Ian_M_Goodman
May 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have windows XP home SP2 installed and Photoshop CS tools are not functioning ie. Clone Tool, brush and pencil do not work either.

I can get these to function if I run msconfig and start my pc in selective startup mode and the above tools work.

Have you had any experience with this type of problem?

If so can you detail a fix for this?

thank you

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
chrisjbirchall
May 25, 2005
Try Deleting the Preferences file as per the FAQs.
DM
dave_milbut
May 25, 2005
take your stylus of the drawing pad…
TH
Tina_Hayes
May 26, 2005
"take your stylus of the drawing pad…"

I can’t help but laugh every time I see this. It makes me know that other people do this as often as I do!
IM
Ian_M_Goodman
May 29, 2005
Dave:

Thank you for this.

You may not have read my message properly this problem has nothing to do with a styluss of the drawing pad bu rather a windows problem I suspect.

Can you have another look at the above problem and then reassess your answer please.

thank you
DM
dave_milbut
May 29, 2005
reset your prefrences per the faq?

or if you HAVE a drawing pad TAKE THE SYLUS AND MOUSE AWAY FROM IT WHEN IT’S NOT IN USE! they tend to interfere with the normal mouse. loading in msconfig safe mode will disable the driver so that the regular mouse will work normally with the sylus laying directly on the pad.
D
deebs
May 29, 2005
I don’t know if this has any general relevance but I notice that a cordless keyboard and mouse combination too close to the tablet when things are in work can create a jerky motion while using the pen.

(I put this down to RF interactions between devices)

It may be a spurious or inaccurate observation as it has happened, say, once or twice with not really enough to comment on for sure (yet).

In both cases inceasing the gap between devices helped
C
chrisjbirchall
May 29, 2005
Can you have another look at the above problem and then reassess your answer please

Dave is only trying to help. From your post we have no way of knowing whether you’ve already considered what is actually often the cause of this type of problem!

Now try his other suggestion.

Resetting the prefs is a wise first move in any instance of odd behaviour in Photoshop!

Chris.
HE
Herbert_Ellison
Jun 5, 2005
cannot get a brush with Clone. I only get the icon.
Unable to visually see brush size.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jun 5, 2005
Caps Lock?
JJ
John Joslin
Jun 5, 2005
Minuscule or gigantic brush?
IM
Ian_M_Goodman
Jun 6, 2005
Thank you for all your replies.

This fix may help you to solve a similar problem if you have one?

In windows you have the ability to remove some items from the start menu. To do this at Start /Run type msconfig then selkect selective startup and slowly pick the items from either the start menu or services menu to find which one is the offending item.

I narrowed this down to "tablet services" in the services area by Wacom now I can ask Wacom why this is so.

You see I have a Wacom tablet connected to my machine it still works but if I leave this connected in the Services menu Photoshop Clone Tool and some other tools do not work.

I hope that this information may assist if you have problems that I had as above.

Thank you
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jun 6, 2005
Ian, there was nothing magnetic or metallic on the graphic tablet?
IM
Ian_M_Goodman
Jun 6, 2005
Pierre

Nothing Metallic or magnetic on the graphic tablet, this is a software issue.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 6, 2005
nothing like the mouse or the pen on or near the tablet when trying to use the ps2 mouse? as asked in posts #2 and #5? <rolling eyes>
IM
Ian_M_Goodman
Jun 7, 2005
Dave
the problem is a software problem in the services menue of stsrtup in widows xp ther is a file called "tablet services" wacom, i have taken the tick off this and all works fine. If i put the tick back on the clone tool and brush pencil and others do not work.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 7, 2005
sure, because you disabled the tablet. that’ll work too. lots of people use wacom and tablet svc with photoshop and don’t have this problem. keep the wacom pen and mouse away from the tablet when not using them and don’t use the wacom tablet as a ps/2 (standard) mouse pad, and you should be fine. if not contact wacom b/c they’re very agressive at solving user problems with their stuff.
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
Jun 8, 2005
I use a Wacom tablet, generally I plug it in only when I need to use it. That way there’s no interference.
RE
Robert_Enns
Jun 8, 2005
Dana,
I have a Wacom Intuos 3 tablet with mouse and stylus. Neither is resting on the tablet and so I have no problems. I’ve never had to unplug it. What kind of "interference" do you get?

Actually I can even use the mouse on the tablet, leave it resting there and start using my wireless mouse with no problem (But I don’t actually do this normally. I just tried it to see if it would work)

Rob E.
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
Jun 8, 2005
I think the main problem is that if the tablet mouse or stylus are near the tablet, then there’s a conflict. Keeping them away would have the same effect.

But given my absent-minded ways, it’s safer just to unplug the tablet!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections