Photoshop InDesign Question. for the color geeks.

B
Posted By
Buko
May 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
if I have both Photoshop CS and InDesign CS both colormanagers set Identical.

If I place RGB .PSDs into ID, when I export my PDF from ID, will I get the correct/same CMYK conversion that I would get, if I flattened and converted the .PSD in Photoshop?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 7, 2004
I don’t know the answer but it sounds dangerous!

I wonder if you would run into problems with files that are "linked" but not "embedded"?

I have only ever placed CMYK files into InDesign — it just seemed to be the logical way to work.
B
Buko
May 7, 2004
What made me think of this was making posters for bands.

I would make a color version & a grayscale version.

Because most of these posters were made at Kinko’s I would make both an RGB and CMYK version, so it could be run on the first machine that was free.

One day I forgot to convert to CMYK before making the PDFX/1a so it was converted using the conversion profile in ID I would have used in Photoshop. If this is true, this is really awsome. I will be doing some tests with a printer I’m going to be working with, I will let you guy’s know the results.

I was just wondering if MO had any experience with this?
B
Buko
May 7, 2004
BTW all files are linked I never embed anything.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 7, 2004
A lot of ad work that I do, NEVER comes in as RGB placed images. It’s always CMYK. (right or wrong)

In theory, as long as the color settings are the same, it should produce the same results. The problems happen when you have color mgmt. turned on and you have RGB and standing CMYK files placed in the same page layout app. INDY’s color mgmt. will convert all files, RGB and CMYK if the CMYK file has a different profile than the working space. If the profile embedded in the image has the same color settings in INDY, the file is unchanged. To say the least, it can get ugly when mutiple parties get involved.

Part of the big problem with the current development of color mgmt, is that it assumes one person or a very small group of people will be crunching the files. This is, never the case.

Remember, if the file, RGB or CMYK is an EPS or PDF, it’s not color "color changeable" so tiff and PSD would have to be placed. At least from the creation application level.

So, if you have spot colors or vector objects, you are limited to what you can do.

I myself am doing INDY research as we speak so if interested, contact me off list.

BF
Bruce_Fraser
May 7, 2004
If you’re careful to ensure that all the settings are identical, you can get identical RGB to CMYK conversions from Photoshp and InDesign. This doesn’t guarantee that you WILL get identical conversions from Photoshop and ID….

I don’t recommend embedding graphics in InDesign files, ever, because you lose the ability to edit them.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 7, 2004
you can always extract the images from a PDF.

;o)

these damn smart ass kids now days……

years of torture Bruce.

years of torture…..
BF
Bruce_Fraser
May 7, 2004
If you built the PDF with no compression and no color conversion, yes, bu if you aren’t extremely careful, what you extract from the PDf may be quite a bit different from what you fed into it.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 7, 2004
You need to use PS 5 because the PDF interpetor from 6 and up smears the pixels.
B
Buko
May 7, 2004
Chris Cox can you shed any light on this?
B
Buko
May 9, 2004
Bump. just trying to catch CC’s eye
CC
Chris_Cox
May 10, 2004

1) InDesign does read the layers (they were forced to because too many people turned off "maximize compatibility"). Of course, reading layers is slower than just reading the composite image.

2) In theory, InDesign’s color conversions are the same as Photoshops because we share the same color engine. But I haven’t tested this much.
B
Buko
May 10, 2004
Thanks Chris,

But if there is a flattened version in the file will ID read that first? or will it still read just the layers.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 10, 2004
I believe ID does prefer the flattened version — but I haven’t tested that lately.
DK
Doug_Katz
May 10, 2004
Sounds like it’ll read the composite first (and maybe only): "Of course, reading layers is slower than just reading the composite image."

Surely this is identical to AICS….
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 10, 2004
I think it’s file format specific.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections