Posted By
Antwort_Svar
May 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Folks,

As you will all know, Alt+F4 is a standard way of closing Windows apps. I’ve been using this for so many years, I always get caught out with Photoshop CS.

Photshop CS gives an alert that ‘The command "Paste" is not currently available.’ and gives the options of ‘Continue’ or ‘Stop’.

I figured Adobe have configured this key combination, so went to set it to ‘Exit’ in the Keyboard Shortcuts. But when I try to do this Photoshop complains that that combination is used by the OS! (So why do other apps let me customise this combination?)

So what’s going on here? Is Photoshop really trying to Paste on Alt+F4, or is Alt+F4 really captured by the OS, and Photoshop is misinterpreting a command from the OS?

Is there a fix to this? Is there a way to get Photoshop to recognise this key combination?

Dave

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

C
Corey
May 23, 2005
Rather than trying to create a new command, just use CTRL+Q.

Peadge 🙂
S
stevent
May 23, 2005
Alt+F4 closes Photoshop for me – always has.
TM
Trevor_Morris
May 23, 2005
Yes, in Photoshop CS (and previous IIRC), if an action was assigned to F4, Alt+F4 would no longer work to close the application. This behaviour has been fixed in Photoshop CS2 (or if not "fixed", at least it now works).
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 23, 2005
Trevor, If you haven’t done so already, maybe could you shoot an email to Danny Raphael about this…
AS
Antwort_Svar
May 23, 2005
Thanks Trevor,

This is interesting, and is likely where the issue is.

Looking at the PS CS help: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Adobe/Photoshop%20CS/Help/1_23_32 _0.html we see F4 is allocated to Paste.

However, if we go into the Keyboard shortcuts, F4 can not be found (but other function keys can). As F4 does not appear as a shortcut, it can’t be removed from the paste command. While it is not listed in the shortcuts, it does perform the Paste action. And trying to allocate F4 to another action does not work (you can allocate it, but it is overridden).

Any ideas on how to disassociate paste from F4?

FWIW: I’m on Win2K Service Pack 4, PSCS 8.0.

Dave

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections