Posted By
ruty
May 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to make my web site a bit more dianamic

and I saw that I can do animation, rollover. My question is: it possible to do motion like, as in video in PS or do I need Flash for that.

Thanks for the help

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups ๐Ÿ”ฅ

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
May 5, 2004
You can do simple animation in ImageReady
NK
Neil_Keller
May 6, 2004
Think: animated gifs.

Neil
R
ruty
May 6, 2004
so do I need Flash for more motion or dreamweaver?

what about the new ‘motion’ from apple??
L
LRK
May 6, 2004
You need to jump to ImageReady from Photoshop and create your animation there, saving it as an animated gif.
J
jonf
May 6, 2004
Flash (not Dreamweaver) is the app if you need to create complex animated files, but you can do fairly effective animated gifs from Imageready (which comes with Photoshop).
R
ruty
May 7, 2004
what aobut more of a video feeling not animation?
RW
Rene_Walling
May 7, 2004
For video, look into After Effects and Premiere
AW
Allen_Wicks
May 8, 2004
Just a personal observation: for every one good "feeling" web animation there are 99 poor ones and 900 offensive ones.

Cutesy movement tricks are perhaps ok on a personal site designed to showcase cutesy movement. However, most folks go to professional sites seeking information. IMO most of the time cutesy movement tricks obfuscate the communication of information.

We all know a few great movement sites. Very few. Thousands of sites with movement done poorly.

Rollovers are another story. They normally work well and help communicate.
T
T._C.
May 8, 2004
Motion like THIS <http://www.2advanced.com>?
B
Buko
May 8, 2004

T.C, nice.
AW
Allen_Wicks
May 8, 2004

T.C.-

That is nice. And appropriate, because it is communicating what the site does: "We are in this business and see how well we do it." What I dislike is the too-typical addition of animation just because it is possible.
R
Ram
May 8, 2004
What I dislike is the too-typical addition of animation just because it is possible.

The addition of anything just because it is possible is, in my opinion, what has brought about a deplorable deterioration in design standards after computer technology became accessible to the masses. It applies to many other fields, for instance using a fish-eye lens just because the user happens to have one, or distorting type just because you can do it, etc.

Very often I just can’t believe what I see on book and magazine covers, ads, posters, etc.
T
T._C.
May 9, 2004
Allen, I agree with you but the question that r. shefer posted was, is motion possible with Photoshop or did he/she need Flash. He/she wasn’t asking if it’s was appropriate or not. So to answer his/her question, you’ll need Flash to create something like 2advanced.com with that type of motion. Qucktime can also be used for motion, but not in the same way as the 2advanced.com site. You can use Photoshop to create elements of the motion graphic. Final Cut, Shake, and Motion(not yet released) on the Mac side; Premiere and After Effects on the Windows side. Avid on either but that’s a matter of personal choice. Plus a multitude of other programs. Motion graphics is being taught at a school close to me, part of the program is learning AutoCAD among other things like Maya and 3D Studio Max.

Also, r. shefer doesn’t say whether the site is professional or just personal. Maybe it’s a personal site and he/she just wants to experiment with new techniques, I don’t know. I’m not trying to argue, I’m just pointing out that everyone else is talking animated graphics when r. has clearly asked about motion/video type graphics. 2 different things.

Peace,
Tracy C.
AW
Allen_Wicks
May 9, 2004
You are right Tracy, I missed the point. <sigh>

Yes Peace would be a good thing – but first we must cure the Mad Cowboy Disease… <g>
T
T._C.
May 9, 2004
Mad Cowboy Disease <http://www.mind.net/basile/DeficitDubya79.html>! B)

Tracy C.
B
Buko
May 9, 2004
TC too funny.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
May 9, 2004
I was having trouble sleeping but now that I certain that our fate is secure I won’t ever be able to sleep!

Thanks TC!
T
T._C.
May 9, 2004
Your welcome! B)
T
T._C.
May 10, 2004
Hey r.,

More MOTION <http://www.corpusgroup.net> with flash. Now these guys know how to have fun! B)

Not much there yet but if it’s going to be anything like the last version then it’ll be pretty cool.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 10, 2004
And remember that Image Ready CS can now output swf files, not only animated Gifs!
R
ruty
May 10, 2004
So T.C, was that site done using Flash??

I learned that I’m talking ‘motion graphics’ not animation or video.

I’m a graphic designer (www.graphicfreelance) who wants to make her site more interactive.

I have enough design sense to not over do it, just something in the beginning to show I can do it.

Thanks for the input.
L
LRK
May 10, 2004
Pierre: I forgot that… you are right. So glad you brought it up.

R: If you want motion graphics then you probably do want Flash. You can start in Illustrator but will have to end with Flash. Flash has a steep learning curve though.
T
T._C.
May 11, 2004

r.,
At least part of the site is Flash, could be all of it. they could have designed parts in Flash and then assembled the rest in GoLive or Dreamweaver. I dunno.

Tracy C.
J
jonf
May 11, 2004
If you’re trying to demonstrate capabilities, I’d have to recommend learning Flash. Otherwise you may spend a lot of time explaining or apologizing to potential customers that you don’t know Flash. It’s not that Flash is necessarily the best or only way to accomplish the goals of this specific job, but that Flash is probably the most requested method for animated Web graphics.

I expect others to have different (Adobe-centric) recommendations, but that would be my 2ยข.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections