R
Posted By
Ray
Nov 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just received this message. What’s weird is that pretty much everyone I know on this board was the recipient as well. Do any of you know where it came from, did anybody else received it ? What’s (or who’s) vom.. ?

Copy of the message……………….
————————————–

Attention:
[i’ve removed all personnal information]

A Virus was found in an Email message sent to you.
This Email scanner intercepted it and stopped the entire message before it reached you.

The Virus was reported to be:

I-Worm.Swen

Please contact your I.T support personnel with any queries regarding this policy.

The message sent to you had the following envelope:

MAIL FROM:
RCPT TO:
[AGAIN, SAME INFO REMOVED]

<
…. and with the following headers:

To: "net client"
Subject: Undelivered Message
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:39:1

The original message is kept in:

mail.vom.com:/var/spool/qmailscan/quarantine

where the VOM Support can further diagnose it.

The Email scanner reported the following when it scanned that message:

—avp results —
Using multi-path request
Account information:
/var/spool/qmailscan/mail.vom.com10676327089665/1067632741.1 0241-0.mail.vom.com suspicion: Exploit.IFrame.FileDownload
/var/spool/qmailscan/mail.vom.com10676327089665/duyevcn.exe infected: I-Worm.Swen

Test result: Known viruses were detected
Test completed

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 1, 2003
Ray,

vom.com appears to be a small ISP in the Sonoma, California area. (in the San Francisco bay area, North)

I did not receive the email.

Did you copy/paste the text into your post? I ask because the English grammar seems a bit rough. Nothing that would raise an eyebrow in a forum post, but given your suspicion as to the origin of the message, it seems un-polished, to me.

I suppose that the ISP vom.com could, acually, have intercepted a message addressed to you which contained a virus.

This would be the first such example of this behavior of which I have ever been aware.

Byron
R
Ray
Nov 1, 2003
Byron,

The only thing I did was to remove everyone’s address (Leen, Beth, Jodi, Grant, everyone was there).
I put a small message enclosed in brackets [ ] instead. Could it be one of Adobe’s server ? I don’t know where there are in the USA.

Ray
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 1, 2003
Ray,

That certainly is a strange message…I did not get one. Maybe you should check with the Webmaster of this site, I know a contact to him is in the Preferences settings.

I don’t know for sure, but I always assumed Adobe housed their servers in their large, newish building down the mountain from here in San Jose, California.

Nancy
SR
Schraven_Robert
Nov 1, 2003
This morning I had a virus attack from a known worm;, I thought it is the same one that is quoted in the above message.
The macafee virus library showes that the virus checks wether the puter has come online by contacting www.google.com.
Chance has it that I, like presumably every one from this forum had a look at google to see how we are portrayed there in relation to the challenge. May be there is a link?

Robert
B
bethC
Nov 1, 2003
Ray, I never received any email like this. I did go on google.

beth
R
Ray
Nov 1, 2003
I do go on Google several times a day, but lately, not for finding my name.

Ray
R
Ray
Nov 1, 2003
I don’t suppose it’s Adobe. I don’t know what to make of it… I’ll call my ISP if I do receive another of these messages.

Ray
J
jhjl1
Nov 1, 2003
Yahoo had an article this morning about a new virus that started spreading rapidly on Friday.

Have A Nice Day,
jwh 🙂
My Pictures
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview

"Ray" wrote in message
I just received this message. What’s weird is that pretty much
everyone I know on this board was
the recipient as well. Do any of you know where it came from,
did anybody else received it ?
What’s (or who’s) vom.. ?

Copy of the message……………….
————————————–

Attention:
[i’ve removed all personnal information]

A Virus was found in an Email message sent to you.
This Email scanner intercepted it and stopped the entire

The Virus was reported to be:

I-Worm.Swen

Please contact your I.T support personnel with any queries
regarding this
policy.

The message sent to you had the following envelope:

MAIL FROM:
RCPT TO:
[AGAIN, SAME INFO REMOVED]

<
… and with the following headers:

To: "net client"
Subject: Undelivered Message
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:39:1

The original message is kept in:

mail.vom.com:/var/spool/qmailscan/quarantine

where the VOM Support can further diagnose it.

The Email scanner reported the following when it scanned that

—avp results —
Using multi-path request
Account information:
/var/spool/qmailscan/mail.vom.com10676327089665/1067632741.1 0241-
0.mail.vom.com suspicion:
Exploit.IFrame.FileDownload
/var/spool/qmailscan/mail.vom.com10676327089665/duyevcn.exe
infected: I-Worm.Swen
Test result: Known viruses were detected
Test completed

R
Ray
Nov 1, 2003
Would it be possible for you to post a link here ?

Thanks!

Ray
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 1, 2003
I didn’t get this, nor have I gotten notice of any virus intercepts since at least yesterday morning (when I last emptied the e-mail Trash folder.) Nothing in my Spam box on the Speakeasy site, either. ??? Ray, you’re just special!! 🙂
J
jhjl1
Nov 1, 2003
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581& e=2&u=/nm/20031101/tc_nm/tech_internet_virus_dc

Have A Nice Day,
jwh 🙂
My Pictures
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
"Ray" wrote in message
Would it be possible for you to post a link here ?

Thanks!

Ray

R
Ray
Nov 1, 2003
Thanks Jwh, it wasn’t my case.
R
Ray
Nov 1, 2003
Beth,

I’m on so many boards and forums, my e-mail address is the ideal target for every virus / spammer. But since you’re on a Mac, I wouldn’t worry too much (lucky you!)

Ray
LK
Leen_Koper
Nov 1, 2003
This one wasnot among todays’ 7 virus attacks.
They keep Norton extremely busy these days.

Leen
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 1, 2003
Just ignore and delete everything that looks bogus. Anything that comes into your mail looking like somebody is trying to make something look ‘official’ is no good. Look at the expanded header, it will show that it isn’t where you think it is from. Get rid of it.

Just like telemarketing, If you don’t initiate the call, or e-mail, just delete it. With caller ID, we never answer any calls that don’t identify themselves. They never leave a message, so they prove they are Tmarketers.

Jane
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 1, 2003
Jane, have you tried answering the phone and then asking to be removed from their calling list? The State of Washington has a law that requires telemarketers to honor this request, and they can be fined if they don’t. We started doing this a couple of years ago. It was an annoyance right at first, but I doubt we’ve gotten three calls in the last year. Well… Except for the politicians, who have managed to get themselves exempted. We tried the caller ID thing, and it was still too annoying, because we still had to disrupt whatever we were doing to check the number. Getting off the list was a much better solution for us. I love the peace of not listening to the phone ring at all. 🙂
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 1, 2003
Sign up on the National Do Not Call list online by that name. It takes a couple of months to be effective.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 2, 2003
Well, it’s better than nothing, Nancy, and I signed up, but there are so many exemptions–charities, politics, any product you’ve bought in the past X months, etc. that I wonder how much good it will really do.
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 2, 2003
Barbara,

I signed up quite a while ago and my husband and I were just comparing notes and agreed the calls are starting to taper off…any is a blessing. We had gotten to the point of never answering our phone anymore, after our message plays, we wait to hear a voice before we pickup (telemarketers always hang up, or rather the computer does). Extremely irked by the frequency of their intruding phone calls we resorted to that practice at home…it is so wrong that we pay to have that phone for our convenience, not as an avenue to sell us something.

Nancy
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 2, 2003
Yes, the few that do get thru, we did ask to be removed. All complied. Every one that calls us that don’t come thru on Caller ID, get sent to the answering machine, and they never leave a message. And they never call back. Our dog has a GREAT message, and people who don’t know us, don’t answer her.

Well, not all, our cell phone co, Cingular, which used to be Cell One, did make 3 calls to us last week.
I got rather ‘creative’ and they never called back, they got the hint. Not nasty, just funny, worked great.

Humor works very effectively with the rare telemarketer who does get thru.

Edit, cleaned up some spelling,,,,,,,,

Jane
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 2, 2003
Our do-not-call became effective on 10/24; the volume of calls has dropped significantly since then.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 2, 2003
It’s interesting. Fortunately, I’m in a market that is too small to attract a lot of telemarketers so that wasn’t as big a problem as it used to be when I lived in Ft Lauderdale, but since the do not call list went into effect, I’ve begun getting a lot of junk fax, even though I am already on the (voluntary, alas) do not spam fax list.
LM
Lou_M
Nov 2, 2003
Yay, Jane! We do the same thing: between caller ID and the answering machine, we don’t have to talk to telemarketers.

Of course we now get to see the dreaded "MN State Ofc" on Caller ID which tells us our library books are overdue–again. We like to read so much, we just don’t want to give them back. 🙂
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 3, 2003
Hi Lou, If we could only do this to the spammers, yeah, their time will come. But I can’t get my dog to do her ‘special message’ that she has for telemarketers, on the e-mail. She has trouble typing with her doggie paws.
Jane

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections