Posted By
victor_harder
Oct 31, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I have been using PE 2 for a while now and just realized something which I find puzzling and disturbing. (Disturbing because I have not noticed it before now and wonder how it may have messed things up without me noticing)

What happens is as follows:
Edit > Save for the web > size photo to approx. 300×390 pixels > Apply >Save. Now if you look in some of my files (i have my files in list view) you will find a list with a JPEG icon in front of the file names. then part way through the list there are micro thumbnails as the icon. The problem is that I believe that i am saving them the same way (just tried some and they have thumbnails). The icon variety have the file size I chose ie. 6-11k, whereas the thumbnail variety have a file size of 90-115k. I like the icon size. Can anybody tell me what i’m doing wrong and how to correct it.
Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

VH
victor_harder
Nov 1, 2003
One additional note. The Photos with the larger file size have the suffix .JPG and the one in the 6-11k range have the suffix .jpg. I just mention this because I figure this must have some beearing on the outcome.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
VH
victor_harder
Nov 1, 2003
It doesn’t look like anybody has ever had this problem before, but just in case, here’s the fix. Light bulb just went on in my head. I answer my own question on the off chance that it may help some other hapless soul and/or somebody from Adobe reads this and either fixes it for an upgrade or makes note of it in the manual.

If you down-size in "save for the web" (SFW) from 900k to 8k, it may actually be saved as 8k or 94k (sizes are approx. for illustration purposes) depending on which method you use. If you browse and retrieve photo from ‘File A’ > edit > SFW>size to 8k > re save to ‘File A" , your image will actually be saved at 94k. If on the other hand you browse and retrieve photo from ‘File A’ >edit >SFW . size to 8k > save to ‘File B’, then you will actually save it at 8k. In other words you have to save to a different file than the one from which it was retrieved.

Tried it. Don’t understand it. It works!!!
LM
Lou_M
Nov 2, 2003
Yeah, I don’t think Save For Web was meant to be used to overwrite the existing file. I think it was designed more as a "Save As…" than a "Save". Maybe when you save it to an existing file, it keeps the embedded thumbnail which increases the file save as you’ve discovered.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections