C
Posted By
coincenstance
Jan 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been receiving source materials from clients that are atrocious–screen resolution, badly compressed Web graphics, Xeroxes of printed materials; you name it.

How can I make it clear to clients why this is unacceptable, or somehow get better materials from the word "go"? I’m new to this, so bear with me.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EA
Edward Alfert
Jan 7, 2004
(Evil Robot) wrote in
news::

I’ve been receiving source materials from clients that are atrocious–screen resolution, badly compressed Web graphics, Xeroxes of printed materials; you name it.

How can I make it clear to clients why this is unacceptable, or somehow get better materials from the word "go"? I’m new to this, so bear with me.

When you are initially hired give them a "specs" sheet listing the acceptable graphic formats and their resolution, dimensions, size, etc. Explain at the top that if material is received that comply with these requirements it will allow you to more quickly finish the project and REDUCE their project costs.

The key is to tell them how they will save money by submitting material that you can quickly use (without having to convert, manipulate, edit, ask for another version, etc.)

Edward Alfert – http://www.rootmode.com/
Coupon Code (Recurring $5/month Discount): newsgroup
Multiple Domain Hosting * Reseller Hosting
Free IP Addresses * Private Label Nameservers
T
trooperbill
Jan 7, 2004
welcome to the world of budget web design

you’re not alone. you cant get blood from a stone and chanses are that they cant afford profesisonal photography.

my advice is to buy a good digital camera, a white sheet and some spots and charge for a photosession with you! that way you can get images to fit your design, not the other way around.

mark

"Evil Robot" wrote in message

AB
Andrew Banks
Jan 7, 2004
I agree with Edward but would tackle it the opposite way to him. Clients appreciate savings but understand costs more.

Whereas Edward would no doubt say "Giving me a word file would save you 1 hour of my time and therefore $xxx as I wouldn’t have to re-type you xerox copy"

I think the client would have a stronger feeling towards "If I have to retype your file it will actually cost you $xxx"

"Edward Alfert" wrote in message
(Evil Robot) wrote in

When you are initially hired give them a "specs" sheet listing the acceptable graphic formats and their resolution, dimensions, size, etc. Explain at the top that if material is received that comply with these requirements it will allow you to more quickly finish the project and REDUCE their project costs.

The key is to tell them how they will save money by submitting material that you can quickly use (without having to convert, manipulate, edit, ask for another version, etc.)

J
john
Jan 7, 2004
In article ,
(Evil Robot) wrote:

Charge them for redrawing the materials in vectors. They get the point or move on.
EW
Edward Wedig
Jan 7, 2004
It comes down to this: do you want to use a carrot, or a stick? The carrot ("You’ll save money if you do it this way.") will work for some customers, while the stick ("I’ll charge you more if you do things that way.") works for others. You have to evaluate your client and decide which tactic will work best.

-Ed

In article <J_TKb.8971$>,
says…
I agree with Edward but would tackle it the opposite way to him. Clients appreciate savings but understand costs more.

Whereas Edward would no doubt say "Giving me a word file would save you 1 hour of my time and therefore $xxx as I wouldn’t have to re-type you xerox copy"

I think the client would have a stronger feeling towards "If I have to retype your file it will actually cost you $xxx"

"Edward Alfert" wrote in message
(Evil Robot) wrote in

Edward Wedig
Graphic Designer – Gamemaster – Nice Guy
www.docbrown.net
(remove dashes to contact me)
JG
James Gifford
Jan 7, 2004
Edward Alfert wrote:

That’s good advice, but you have to keep this in mind: When a company calls in a graphic designer, the work has often been being done by a secretary or engineer who was doing "good enough" work with crummy materials, techniques and software. For some reason, the company has decided they need more professional materials, but they’re going to balk and kick and scream when they find out what a truly pro job costs – not necessarily in bottom line, but in the "hassle" of finding higher-res, better-lit product photos, high-res logo files, etc.

Anyone who hires out to new clients in this manner needs to have a complete introductory packet/presentation that takes the client step-by- step into how things are done at the pro level, emphasizing how quality materials and techniques get "pro quality." Don’t harp on cost, either way.

| James Gifford * FIX SPAMTRAP TO REPLY |
| So… your philosophy fits in a sig, does it? |
| Heinlein stuff at: www.nitrosyncretic.com/rah |
T
tacitr
Jan 7, 2004

Every major publication and advertising medium has a published "spec sheet" which describes the materials they need, in the formats and resolutions they need. I do a lot of print advertising, so I have a file in my office which contains literally hundreds of spec sheets. A spec sheet typically looks something like this:

"This is the publication specification sheet for Acme Jetpack Monthly. Acme Jetpack Monthly is printed using offset lithography using a 150-line halftone screen. The publication trim size is 8 3/8 by 10 7/8 inches. The publication bleed size is 8 5/8 by 11 1/8 inches. PLease maintain a 1/8 in safety for copy inside the trim size.

All materials must be submitted as 4-color separated film with a 133 or 150-line halftone, or as electrinic files. The accepted formats for electronic files are as follows:

All images mmust be four-color separated CMYK TIFF or EPS files with a minimum resolution of 300 pixels per inch at printed size. All images must be no greater than 280 DMAX. RGB images and images in other formats, such as JPEG, BMP, and GIF, are not suitable for reproduction and will not be accepted.

All submitted layouts must be in QuarkXPress, Adobe Indesign, or Adobe Illustrator format. Acme Jetpack Monthly does not accept page layout files in Microsoft Publisher format.

Layout files must include all linked images, artwork, and fonts. Linked artwork should be in vector EPS format; Adobe Illustrator or Macromedia Freehand preferred.

Do not use flood fills of solid black. Acme Jetpack Monthly

Acme Jetpack Monthly is printed in four colors. All Pantone colors in your layout must be set to process separate. If you plan to use a spot color in your ad, please contact your Acme Jetpack Monthly account representative for pricing and other information.

Acme Jetpack Monthly can also accept materials in Acrobat PDF format. Please make sure that your PDFs contain high-resolution images (300 pixel per inch at printed size minimum), are not converted to RGB, and use no compression or high-quality compression. Make sure that supplied PDF files preserve overprint information. A custom Acme Jetpack Monthly PPD is available for download from ourt Web site.

Files submitted which are not in accordance with these specifications may incur additional charges, delay the publication of your materials, or be rejected outright. Acme Jetpack Monthly will not be responsible for the final appearance of low-resolution images and reserves the right to reject materials which are not of sufficient resolution.

Acme Jetpack Monthly requires a contract-quality proof with all materials submitted. We accept MatchPrint, Waterproof, and Kodak Approval digital proofs. Inkjet proofs are not accepted. Acme Jetpack Monthly is not responsible for the printed appearance of any materials submitted without a proof."

You get the general idea. Basically, it lists the publication specification and trim sizes, the acceptable material formats, and spells out limitations on the publication’s responsibility for materials that don’t meet spec. They can be a lot longer–I have spec sheets in my file that run three pages(!)–and they can be adapted easily to situations that don’t involve magazine reproduction.

Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
AL
Al Lorio Design
Jan 7, 2004
"Evil Robot" wrote in message

This is a never ending battle. A spec sheet is a good idea though.

G
AL
Al Lorio Design
Jan 7, 2004
"Edward Wedig" wrote in message
It comes down to this: do you want to use a carrot, or a stick? The carrot ("You’ll save money if you do it this way.") will work for some customers, while the stick ("I’ll charge you more if you do things that way.") works for others. You have to evaluate your client and decide which tactic will work best.

Excellent metaphor.

G

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections