Posted By
Dave_Wilkins
May 19, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
CS2 XP Pro SP2

While working on any file, CS2 continues to allow painting, copying, layer commands, etc. But cannot access any Menu item, like File Save.

Frustrated, disgusted, very disappointed. And very, very tired of re-creating my work.

Have searched the knowledge base, etc. Nothing applies. Like I’m going to re-format my HDD and re-install XP? Right.

Adobe needed to fix this problem last week. And they should not charge me to call for support. It’s hard to spend more on software and easy to get applications that actually work.

Disgusted,
Dave Wilkins

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Chris_Cox
May 20, 2005
How are you accessing the menus?
By mouse or by key command?

(and Adobe can’t fix a problem that nobody else has seen yet)
CM
craig_mullins
May 20, 2005
Dave,

Sounds like my problem. If it is the same, you can take the image into Imageready and either save it there or go back to PS, as you will have your menus back for a short time before PS crashes.

I went back to stock windows with only PS installed, tried last two versions of both video and wacom drivers (the first indication that things are going awry is disappearing cursor over the brush menu). Now running 71.84 on Quadro FX1400.

The most recent desperate thrash was to move the hardware acceleration slider one notch back from “full.” All seems well, for two days now. That seems to be it for me, hardware accelerated cursor bringing down the house.

Chris, I can provide any other info you might want, I have a screen of the corruption as well.

Should I fill out a form somewhere or tell someone about this?
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 20, 2005
Craig, that seems to indicate a problem in the video drivers.

To find the bug report form: clic on the contact us text on top of the page. (Might be useful now as Chris said that Adobe is working with nVidia for them to fix the issues in their drivers. They maybe need to know that the Quadro are affected too.)
PB
Paul_Budzik
May 20, 2005
Pierre, is Adobe making any contact with ATI for similar issues?
IL
Ian_Lyons
May 20, 2005
Paul,

Pierre is like you, he uses Photoshop, he doesn’t work for Adobe.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 20, 2005
Indeed, Paul, I can only tell you what I read in here…

Also, Adobe has a good record of contacting other parties if a bug in third party software/drivers impedes Photoshop or other software.
PB
Paul_Budzik
May 20, 2005
Ian,

Thanks, I wasn’t sure, but I thought I would give it a shot.
IL
Ian_Lyons
May 20, 2005
Please don’t shoot him. We need his translation abilities 😉
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 20, 2005
Lol 😀
PB
Paul_Budzik
May 20, 2005
Right you are sir. I put the safety back on.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 21, 2005
Craig – could you email ajerugim at adobe dot com or travlin_adam at yahoo dot com, and give him details of your problem, video card and driver version.

I think we’ve got a few things that might help (or at least might help identify the problem).
CM
craig_mullins
May 21, 2005
thanks, Pierre and Chris. Mail sent to the adobe address.
CM
craig_mullins
May 22, 2005
Here is the detailed rundown that I sent in case someone else is having similar problems. It seems there are maybe a few.

——————-

After PS has been running a while (from 10 minutes to 1 day) I notice the cursor disappear when I move it from one screen to another, or move it over the pop-up brushes palette. At that point, all menus and dialogs cannot be used. I can still paint, I can use the keyboard to save the active document. I can also use alt-keyboard to access menus. But curves or levels or save-open dialogs are not visible. It seems PS is thinking that the dialog is there, and waits for my input, but it will not respond to any pressed key. I can start imageready, then close it, and I have control of PS back for a few moments. Eventually, the alt-keyboard control of menus fails. Then a windows error, “this program needs to close, etc.” The system is left in a stable state, no need to restart (I have tried this, of course) and can restart PS with no problems.

Here are some screengrabs of the problem. In file "25.jpg" I am selecting the "window" menu. You can see it is depressed, but no menu.

<http://goodbrush.com/ftp/cm_screengrab.zip>

The machine is new and pretty standard in all respects. I have reinstalled windows on a fresh format with only PS installed.

The video card is Nvidia Quadro FX 1400. It does display flaky behavior in some games. These might not be card related, don’t know. No other major problems.

I have tried the adobe certified driver (70.78) and also the most current (71.84) Drivers were uninstalled with restarts before new install.

I tried the two most recent wacom drivers, no help.

I tried moving the hardware acceleration slider one notch back from “full.” This seemed to help, the problem is less frequent.
U
uberandy9
May 22, 2005
I have the same problem with cs2 on an nvidia5500, p4 2.8. 512mb ram. freezes up and then uses 50% of the cpu. ram usage drops to near nothing. can’t touch the menus.
HS
Horst_Stiebert
May 23, 2005
This is the identical problem I am having. Initially Photoshop CS2 works fine. After using, for example, the healing brushes a few times the menu bar becomes inactive and I have to force a shut-down. Interestingly, most of the tools can still be used.
I
iedward
May 23, 2005
This seems to be the same problem I am suffering from. I have bought a brand new IBM Thinkpad T42P, 2gb ram, a super dooper specially designed for image intensive software. The laptop is brand new. I have installed tonight my copy of CS2. I can open photoshop but I can’t access any of the menu items. If I do, the software stops responding. I was so, so, so keen to have a go. I called the US suport line but as I am based in the UK, they won’t help me…
KP
Ken_Pratt
May 24, 2005
Please see my reply to your other post on this subject. I am also UK based. UK support know about the problem and you can quote my incident number 171589909.

Regards,
Ken
HS
Horst_Stiebert
May 30, 2005
It seems I have identified the problem with the freeze-up of my menu bar, and I believe there is a bug in the program which Adobe needs to correct. As in the past, under "Preferences" and "Display & Cursors" I had set the "Painting Cursors" and "Other Cursors" to "Precise", and I encountered the freeze-up. After several tests I find that the problem does not occur if the cursors are left at "Default".
I
ID._Awe
May 30, 2005
Horst: I set my cursors to ‘precise’, jammed it with every brush option available and it didn’t happen here. Still ‘testing’ before I buy.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections