ED
Posted By
Eva_Deck
Oct 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I tried to create a flat, shiny gold snowflake. I succeeded! But when I tried to create another, I couldn’t recreate the effect. I have spent hours trying :-(. What I did was scan a picture of a paper cutout snowflake. I selected it. I used "molten gold" style to get a shiny gold. Then, somehow or other, I got it to eliminate almost all of the dark wavy coloring, leaving me with a flat, shiny, gold snowflake. When I went to do another, I couldn’t remember how I had done it. I’m sure someone has created a surface like that and can help.
Thanks.
Eva

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 28, 2003
Hi, Eva. Double-click the little layer styles icon on the layer in the layers palette (it looks like a fancy f) and adjust the shadow.

Or you could use this < http://share.studio.adobe.com/axAssetDetailSubmit.asp?aID=67 69&back=http%3A%2F%2Fshare%2Estudio%2Eadobe%2Ecom%2FaxQu ickSearchSubmit%2Easp%3Ftxt%3Dabrams%26allprods%3D2%26submit 1%2Ex%3D45%26submit1%2Ey%3D7>layer style from the Adobe exchange, which doesn’t get as weird as the "molten gold" style when you do other things to it.
BG
Byron_Gale
Oct 28, 2003
Eva,

With respect to layer styles, there can be a remarkable difference in the outcome based solely on the order in which the styles are applied.

For instance, applying bevel, then molten gold results in a much more "turbulent" finish than applying the exact same styles in reverse order.

Just a thought…

Byron
ED
Eva_Deck
Oct 29, 2003
Barbara, I did download the suggested layer style from Adobe Studio Exchange. While at that site, I found islam.psd which has a flat gold like I want. Someone wrote the comment: "Yes, it required me two seconds to convert it to an .asl file…". I downloaded the photo into PE2, but could not find a way to convert the style to .asl. Do you need the big photoshop to do that? I did discover, however, that I could copy the style layer and paste it onto the picture I’m trying to convert to gold. Amazingly, it worked! That allows a workaround to saving a style.

Thank you for pointing out the "f" which I had never thought of looking at. I haven’t used layer styles before. Changing the bevel makes the kind of changes I’m looking for.

Thanks too, to Byron, for pointing out using multiple layer styles. You get some really strange, but interesting effects by putting one layer on top of another. It would be nice to be able to save one of these combinations.

Eva
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 29, 2003
Hi, Eva. Yes, PE can run layer styles but not create them.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections