Photoshop Elements vs PhotoDeluxe 2.0 (cross-post from PD)

MD
Posted By
Martine_Dumais
Oct 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We are home users. We got PD 2.0 free with a printer 6 years ago and have used it since. (BTW, we’re on printer #3…wish they aged as well as the sofware :-)) We love PhotoDeluxe and are familiar with it, but have now upgraded to XP. I know we likely can make PD 2.0 work with XP, but we are thinking about switching to Photoshop Elements, since we rarely used the photo album side of PD anyway, just photo editing and printing.

First question: can photos saved in PD 2.0 be opened by Photoshop Elements?

Also, we would love to hear from anyone who has used both and can give us feedback on what they like and don’t like in old vs. new.

Wondering in Ottawa

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
RobertHJones
Oct 28, 2003
Martine,

I know we likely can make PD 2.0 work with XP

Quite possibly. However, don’t count on it. Some things may not work properly. Don’t know about PD 2.0, but I was able to get PD 3.0 to install and run well on XP with a patch from the Adobe support site. However, even if you get it running, it’s worth upgrading to PE 2 anyway. PE is so much more powerful and PD has been discontinued so support will be lacking.

First question: can photos saved in PD 2.0 be opened by Photoshop
Elements?

Yes. I was able to open my PD 3.0 files with no problem and I believe PD
2.0 used the same file format. It’s essentially the same as the photoshop
format. Of course, not all the things the photoshop file format supports is supported in PD.

Also, we would love to hear from anyone who has used both and can give us
feedback on what they like and don’t like in old vs. new.

Photodeluxe was targeted at the same basic/casual user audience as products such as Photo Impression and PictureIt! The user interface is easier for a casual user to understand and use; it fairly well guided you through the steps. However, the capabilities are far less than PE.

PE can do much more and has a much steeper learning curve so you need to spend time learn how to use it but don’t let that intimidate you. There are a number of good books to help you learn and this forum is a great place to get help. Lots of tutorials are on the Internet and there are even low-cost on-line classes available. You should be able to make the transition from PD fairly easily although PE will probably seem strange at first.

One thing you’ll notice is that the clone tool works differently. However, it’s fairly easy to get used to the new behavior. Also, the PD red-eye tool is considered by some to work better than the PE tool.

PD layers are much more basic than PE. PE provides much more layer capability. I don’t know whether or not you worked with layers in PD, that was a feature that wasn’t emphasized although it was documented in the help file.

Another big difference is the lack of projects and activities. If that is important to you, you can get some of that back with other programs such as Adobe Photoshop Album which provides the album/catalog capabilites as well as project activities.

At first, while I was still learning PE, I went back to PD when I was in a rush (because I was more familiar with it) but after I got comfortable with PE there was no turning back.

I hope this helps,
Bob
JH
Jim_Hess
Oct 28, 2003
Photoshop Elements is really a "Photoshop Lite". Many of the tools in Elements work precisely the same way they do in Photoshop. Some people complain about the steep learning curve. But I had a little background in Photoshop, so I had no problem whatsoever switching over to Elements. If you really want to be able to color correct your pictures and make them as good as you possibly can, you will find Elements to be much more powerful than PhotoDeluxe. However, if you are looking for a quick "project" type of interface, it might be well for you to consider something else. Photoshop Elements provide you with some serious editing tools, but unfortunately it’s going to require you to do a little studying and experimenting to be able to use it efficiently. But don’t let that scare you away from purchasing Elements. Have you ever purchased a software program that you just loaded and started using? I find that whenever I purchase something new I have to put forth a little effort. Don’t you?
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 28, 2003
Jim, I agree that it’s not a quick learn, but there are a number of pushbutton solutions available, especially in the Enhance<Quick Fix dialog. They’re not a panacea, but they do fix some problems pretty well. I know when I started the Auto Levels got a real workout; I was glad it was there.

Chuck
PD
Pete_D
Oct 29, 2003
I agree with what Chuck said; and as a former PhotoDeluxe 2.0 &1.0BE user it will amaze you how much more you can do with Photoshop Elements. (No preformatted calendars or cards but you will soon see that you can create your own much better).

Pete
MD
Martine_Dumais
Nov 1, 2003
Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your input…as luck would have it, I noticed a special pricing and rebate on PE 2 bundled with Photoshop Album 2 (I got both for about 2/3 the cost of PE 2) so I took the plunge.

I used it already, last night. Yup, there will be a learning curve, but it will be worth it. In PD, we tended to shut off the auto projects and explore, using the ‘help’ to learn how to work with the various effects, etc. so I guess we’ll be okay with PE2…besides, we can’t go running back to PD, it’s not installed 🙂

You’ll likely see me back from time to time with queries…

Martine
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 1, 2003
Martine,

The power of PSE is in its ability to use layers. I would suggest learning first about layers and making selections. Being skilled at making accurate selections is a cornerstone of the program. An introduction to these two concepts is covered in the following tutorials.

<http://www.espressographics.com/text/selections.html>

< http://www.elated.com/tutorials/graphics/photoshop/intro_lay ers/>

A comprehensive, excellent website which has a lot of information on PSE is

<http://www.arraich.com>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections