WE
Posted By
Wendy_E_Williams
Oct 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I found this tutorial the other day and it is brilliant …. Its an old one so probably quite a few people will have seen it already but if you haven’t … then it is well worth a visit … the link is <http://www.photoshoptechniques.com/texp/fireptk.php>

Most of it works in elements but I used Richard’s tools to create the layer mask.

The results are so realistic … I’m impressed 🙂 (and pleased that I managed to do it !)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 26, 2003
Hi Wendy, This looks like fun, for some reason, the pictures don’t arrive along with the text on his tutorial site. I will try later, as I do want to do this one.
Jane
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Oct 26, 2003
When I used the tutorial the images did take ages to load so I started it without them … but I have just been back and none of the images on the main part of the web site are loading either.

It sounds like they have a problem with the web site so it maybe worth trying again later … the effect is certainly well worth it.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Oct 26, 2003
I have just been back to the site and part of it is now working .. no luck with the tutorial images but if you go to <http://www.photoshoptechniques.com/main/defaulth.php> then scroll down the screen you will be able to see the final result.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Oct 26, 2003
Same thing here Jane.
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 26, 2003
Hi Wendy, I just took a screen shot of the image, and will leave it here on my desktop to remind me to hit that bookmark tomorrow. I will bet you are right, they are just having temporary site problems.
This will be a fun one, that fire-text is neat. Looks like they have some other good tutorials there too.
Thanks for the link,
Jane
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Oct 28, 2003
This thing is loading now.
Ken
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Oct 28, 2003
Thanks Ken …
BG
Byron_Gale
Oct 28, 2003
Wendy,

Thank you for posting the link… it’s a clever method.

I took a swing at it, and here’s the result:

http://home.comcast.net/~hey-m0e/firetext.jpg

That was fun!!

Byron
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 28, 2003
Byron, Wow that is awesome!
I got stuck on the part where you apply color to the text, got the wind filter OK, got the layer with the text on it all ready, but the orange just won’t apply to it. Can’t get any color to work. My layers looked exactly as their screen shots did, but just can’t get the color to it.
I gave up and waxed my truck.
Will try again, especially seeing the great result you got! Jane
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Oct 28, 2003
Hey Byron,

That is brilliant … I would show you the one I did but sadly I have nowhere to up load it to.

I took a look at the raindrops tutorial but I don’t think that it is possible in elements … even with work arounds. Shame as it looked quite good.

Jane .. Are you sure that your image was RGB? and don’t forget to tick the colourize box. Hope you manage it 🙂

Wendy
PD
Pete_D
Oct 29, 2003
Wendy,

I too liked that fire tutorial. As a small thanks for sharing this, if you want yours on the net just e mail it to me and I will post a "link" on the forum. (from Adobe forum web click my name to get my e mail and remove the "no spam").

Pete
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 29, 2003
Hi Wendy, Do send it to Pete, I would love to see it too, You might want to get a pbase account, pbase is great and really easy.

It was RGB, but I think I forgot the colorize box, did it over, but I now get the whole page orange. Must work on it tomorrow, my brain is ‘overloaded’ at the moment, and the dog is asking for her evening walk.

The more I attempt, the more I learn, this is the most fun! Thanks,
Jane
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Oct 29, 2003
Hi Jane

I have sent Pete an EMail with a picture of my attempt (the cat got in on the act too!) and will look into a pbase account … it would be nice to be able to post an occasional photo or two. Don’t worry about the brain overload … it happened to me when I first tried the tutorial 🙂 but glad to see that you now have colour.

Many thanks to Pete

Regards
Wendy
PD
Pete_D
Oct 29, 2003
Oh Wendy, Thanks to you! This is a great picture you created.

http://home.comcast.net/~peted1/wsb/html/view.cgi-image.html –SiteID-1056332.html

Pete
PD
Pete_D
Oct 29, 2003
Guess I should say that this link will take you to Wendy’s "fire" creation (in case you have not followed the thread).

http://home.comcast.net/~peted1/wsb/html/view.cgi-image.html –SiteID-1056332.html

Pete
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 29, 2003
Hi Pete, Thanks for putting Wendy’s picture on your site. Hi Wendy, That is one fantastic picture, I love the cat too. Now this has given me the inspiration to try again on mine. I still had problems, then we got the wind storm and had to shut down the computer. At least the electricity stayed on, just flickered.
This sure is fun, Thanks, Jane
PD
Pete_D
Oct 29, 2003
Jane,

Got to get a UPS (universal power supply, battery backup). Then no more worries about storms and power outages. (at least the shorter ones).

Pete
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 29, 2003
Wendy, great shot!! Pete, thanks for sharing it with us!
BG
Byron_Gale
Oct 29, 2003
Wendy,

Cool! Or… should I say HOT!!

The way you used wind on the reflection makes it look kind of like a wet surface, I think. Nice effect.

I’ve been trying to think of another image to flame – something other than text. (note to self: check attic for pictures of the ex)

Thanks, again, for letting us in on the tutorial. (and thanks to Pete for publishing your pic!)

Byron
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Oct 30, 2003
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I really was pleased with my attempt, as Byron said I used the wind on the reflection of both the letters and the cat :), then a very low level of Gaussian Blur.

Byron … I too have been trying to think of other images to flame … not too sure about the ex … I don’t think I kept a photo of mine …. but Halloween is coming up so if I find one I will try it 🙂

Once again many thanks Pete
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 30, 2003
Great flames, I reeeally have to learn how to do this! The reflection is what really makes it amazing.
Wanted to have something ready to print out for the front door for Halloween, but I don’t think I will have it in time, we only get about 6 trick and treat kids anyway, 4 neighbors and one grandson. They are so little, all they think of is the Peanut Butter Cups in the big bowl.

Hi Pete, I do have a UPS, but I think that it will supply power for about 10 minutes, and if I am outdoors, that won’t do. So when the power starts to flicker or reduce in voltage, off goes the computer. Big wind storm today too, so I just used the powerbook until tonight. Never used the computer when the generator is on, too busy helping neighbors get out or pump out.

Thanks, Wendy for giving us that fire link, that is a real challenge for me, I will do it and get it right. Your pictures are inspiring.
Jane
R
Ray
Oct 30, 2003
Incredible work Wendy!!! 🙂
PD
Pete_D
Oct 30, 2003
Jane,

Now I remember that you said you had a UPS on another thread a while back…… (but I may forget again 🙁

Pete
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 30, 2003
Hi Pete, With the wind that we have here on Cape Cod, we do get power outages fairly often, so I guess the UPS is a good thing to have. I don’t leave my computers on if I’m not home, or at night, either.

I hope to work on this fire text thing this afternoon, tutorials like this are so much fun. Jane
LG
Lorace_Graham
Oct 30, 2003
What a fabulous link this was.

But – I run into trouble right away in step ONE.

When he says to Merge all viewed layers to Layer 1. When I do that, I end up with only 1 layer showing in my layers pallet, yet the picture shows three layers still.

What am I missing here? My Layer 1 doesn’t look like the one in the picture, merely a transparent layer.

Help, Byron, or someone.

Lorace
R
RobertHJones
Oct 30, 2003
Lorace,

When he says to Merge all viewed layers to Layer 1. When I do that, I end
up with only 1 layer showing in my layers pallet, yet the picture shows three layers still.

Create a new blank layer. With that as the active layer, press ctrl-alt-shift-e (this is for windows, for mac use command-option instead of ctrl-alt) and Elements will merge the visible layers into the blank layer and leave the other layers intact just as you wanted. They call this "stamp visible".

I don’t use the mac, if I got the keys wrong, someone will correct me I’m sure.

Bob
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 30, 2003
I ran into the same problem, among others, this target layer thing I couldn’t find in any of my menus, so I followed his key shortcut method(I’m not good at those at all) but it worked!
On a Mac, I did it this way, command+option+shift+E (found it on my quick reference card in the software box)
It created the target layer.

My instructor told me of this book,
<http://tinyurl.com/t0r4>
I just ordered it, as she said that some of these shortcuts can be very important. I am still somewhat of a beginner, but she said that the book will become valuable to me.

But now I am hung up on the part that you impart the color onto the text. I will have to work on that later, as we are trying to get a computer group started(we are a bit remote)and will be busy this afternoon.
I will get back to this tutorial just as soon as I can.
Thanks, Jane
LG
Lorace_Graham
Oct 30, 2003
I thought I posted a reply before, but it seems to be lost in the shuffle. (forgive me if I’m duplicating it)

This was such a great link. Thanks Wendy.

I run into trouble, though, right in the first step. When he says to merge all viewed layers, I end up with only 1 layer showing in my layers pallet. Yet the picture shows he still has three – background, text, and layer one.

What am I missing? Help Byron, Wendy, anyone!

Thanks,

Lorace
LG
Lorace_Graham
Oct 30, 2003
Darn, I see I did post twice. So sorry. Perhaps it takes awhile for messages to show up?

Anyway, thanks so much, Bob. That was a great help. I can hardly wait to get offline and try it now.

I didn’t realize about creating a new layer there.

Lorace
BG
Byron_Gale
Oct 30, 2003
Lorace,

Bob Jones’ response to your initial posting is on the mark.

Create a new, blank layer, and then do the 4-key command described in the tutorial:

PC = CTRL-SHFT-ALT-E
Mac = Command-Option-Shift-E

As far as I can determine, this is the only way to do this in PSE… I don’t see the command available on the menus.

Byron
LG
Lorace_Graham
Oct 30, 2003
Oh, I’m glad you spelled that out, Byron.

I had been using Ctrl-Shift-E

I hadn’t used the ALT in there – and it made all the difference in the world.

Off to make some Fire —

Thanks, Bob and Byron, so much.

Lorace
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 30, 2003
Hi Byron and Robert,
I wonder if these are on the menus in the full Photoshop? I did find it eventually in the quick reference card, but I wonder if these tricks can be done any other way.

In otherwords, if we didn’t know about these shortcuts, is it possible that a lot of such things could not be accomplished in PSE without them?

‘stamp visible’ isn’t in any of my PSE books, how did you know about it? When I get the book, it will be interesting to how many of these ‘little extras’ are there. Maybe this book will be a gem! I will have to grow into it.
Jane
BG
Byron_Gale
Oct 30, 2003
Jane,

Re: Stamp Visible — I had come across that technique in another tutorial (can’t recall where), and had forgotten about it until it was utilized in the Fire tutorial.

I was unable to find a reference for it in PSE Help.

I suspect, as you suggest, that it is a menu item in full Photoshop. I wonder how many other vestigial traces of Photoshop lurk under the surface of PSE, undocumented, idly waiting for us to happen upon the magic key-combination.

I’ll look forward to your discoveries after you’ve received your book!!

Byron
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 30, 2003
Can’t wait to get my hands(eyes) on that book!
Jane
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Oct 30, 2003
Well now I did another way.

I created a new layer and made sure that I was working on that layer. I used the rectangular marquee tool to select all of the image then did … copy merged and pasted it onto the new layer. That left me with the two existing layers plus a third layer which was the original two merged … does that make sense?

I have to admit that I am useless with shortcuts … definitely a click addict.
LG
Lorace_Graham
Oct 30, 2003
Gosh, I am learning a lot from this – like the shortcuts he mentions.

I’ve gotten as far as Step 8 and am stopped cold.

Set the Mode for Layer 2 to Screen – got that, no problem

Then Add a Layer Mask that did it. I can’t find any cmd to add a mask (I think that comes in the add-ins which I don’t have)

So, I saw it was a Gradient Mask, so I added a new adjustment layer, chose Gradient. Merged it with previous. Drew the gradient line from letters to the bottom – but nothing is there to use the smudge tool on.

How do I add a mask to Layer 2?? I see his mask is in the Layer 2 frame. Mine is above it – then I moved it below, with no noticable results.

Thanks for your patience with me.

Lorace
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Oct 30, 2003
Lorace,

The way you are doing it is fine but there is no way you can use the smudge tool on that type of layer. If you want to do it the way I do then go to <http://www.hiddenelements.com/tools.html>

The set of tools that contain the layer mask are free.

Regards
Wendy
LG
Lorace_Graham
Oct 30, 2003
Thanks, Wendy, for the link. You got me with it. ha ha. I mean that I, too, ordered Richard’s book. It sounds fabulous to me.

I didn’t download the tools as I already downloaded some from his page – perhaps I’ll get the courage up to install them.

I’m assuming,then, that there’s no way for me to do this fire text one right now until I install some tools. Right?

Thank you,

Lorace
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Oct 30, 2003
Hi Lorace,

Go for it … install them then you will be able to finish the tutorial. I don’t know of another way of doing it …. installing the tools is OK … just read the instructions carefully and take it step by step. Don’t wait until the book arrives … go for it now 🙂

If you get stuck then just shout … quite a lot of people here have the tools so will be able to help.
LG
Lorace_Graham
Oct 31, 2003
Well, thank YOU, Wendy! You encouraged me to install the tools, and I did with no problems at all.

Then I went back to the fire text and was able to place a mask on there. How great that was!

So, I did finish it and am pleased with myself. I’d never have done it without that tool. And, also, you gave the great link to us.

Thanks loads,

Lorace
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 31, 2003
Go Lorace! You’re hooked now for sure!!

🙂

Chuck
PD
Pete_D
Oct 31, 2003
Lorace,

There must be a way to complete the fire tutorial without any add on’s because I did it and I don’t have a mask. I will have to go through it again to see just what I did.

In the meantime…. well, maybe you already got it done too.

Pete
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 31, 2003
Pete, no mask? Don’t you know that tomorrow is Halloween??

🙂
LG
Lorace_Graham
Oct 31, 2003
Chuck, HOOKED for Sure! Sound as a Mackeral!

Pete, I’d be interested in how you achieved it without the add on. I truly tried with a gradient mask but couldn’t get it in the same frame with the layer.

The great thing about this tutorial is that it’s teaching me where different things are. Like it calls for you to go to Edit to get the Transform feature and I found where it really is. Things like that.

Thanks for your comments. Everyone is so helpful on here.

Lorace
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 31, 2003
Good morning, I am going to try this again from scratch today, I really want to accomplish this, it is so neat.
Power was off again yesterday, but should be back to normal today. My husband jokingly was going to crank up the generator just for me and my computer. But I went out and raked leaves.
till later,,
Jane
LG
Lorace_Graham
Oct 31, 2003
Jane, I hope your flames look better than mine do.

With flames like I make, the fire dept could never put them out!

LOL

Good luck,

Lorace
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 31, 2003
Hi Lorace, I still had trouble with the whole text being covered with the color. Not just the flame part. But it is an unusually warm day here in the NE USA, so I have been outdoors most of the day. Grandson will be here for Halloween, but I must get those flames going to put a print out on the front door for tonight!
I just think of the neat things we could make with that flame text! Gotta make it work! Jane
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 31, 2003
Hmmm. Ya know what I’ve been thinking as I read this thread? Don’t send anything like this to friends in SoCal; they might not be impressed by fake flames. 🙁 (Don’t take this personally, anybody – it was just what popped into my head!)
BG
Byron_Gale
Oct 31, 2003
Beth,

I was so happy with the results of this tutorial, that when Grant posted the new Challenge image of the cute little scarecrow, I decided to "light him up" for my entry.

I had just finished it, and, feeling pleased with myself, showed the masterpiece to my wife.

Her reaction was that I should NOT submit the image for fear of it being disturbing to anyone — with the wildfire tragedy still raging.

I hadn’t thought of that.

Byron
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 31, 2003
My husband’s sister and brother-in-law live in San Diego and the fire came within one mile of them, they have been keeping us updated thru the whole horrible thing. Their friends in Julian lost their houses.
Even if I was able to make my fire text properly, I had planned not to put the picture on my pbase page until these terrible fires were all over with.
Jane
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 31, 2003
I didn’t mean to be a web blanket, but I do feel a little better that somebody besides me thought of that. The effect is great, but those fires were the first things coming to mind whenever I looked at a sample. I finally had to say something. Wait until snow and rain are blanketing the country; by then maybe those nice, warm flames will be better received! 🙂
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Oct 31, 2003
Oh what a good idea Beth … I have to admit that being so far away I had not thought of it …. if we use it later it will be a good way of lighting up our Christmas Pictures.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Oct 31, 2003
Lorace,

Good for you … glad you managed to instal the tools OK. Now you can do all sorts of other things too.
R
RobertHJones
Oct 31, 2003
Just another perspective:

Images in poor taste are not welcome anytime. But, I have no issue with images that are done in good taste and which do not exploit a terrible situation.

I would have no issues with a witch being "toasted" in the "fires of hell" (it’s a halloween theme after all) , but I would be extremely offended if, instead of a witch , you "toasted" a firefighter. But, for contrast, I would not be offended by a photojournalist who faithfully recorded such a terrible image as part of a legitimate photo essay on the fire. I guess it all comes down to intent.

Sometimes, we go way overboard in trying to be politically correct and not offend anyone. That’s simply not possible. I think a good guideline would be "would a reasonable person be offended by this when used in this context".

By the way, I did one where I toasted the witch but did not submit it — mainly because I didn’t like it. Instead I put her in front of the flames so she could "toast her buns" on this cold night (I’m referring to the bread in the basket, of course <g>).

PS, I live in Southern California and the fires are indeed terrible. We won’t know for sure until they let people go back in, but my neice has probably lost her home to the fire.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 31, 2003
"would a reasonable person be offended by this when used in this context".

Not an exact quote, to be sure, but don’t I remember phrasing similar to this in a decision by the Supreme Court on the issue of pornography? It seems that was in the same opinion that included "I can’t define it, but I know it when I see it", wasn’t it? That was one of my favorites. 🙂

Sorry, my mind must be having a terrible day – pinging around from place to place. Maybe I’ll just go back to cleaning.

Your point is well taken. As long as discretion is used, many things are acceptable. Too bad the rest of the world isn’t as reasonable as the people on this forum.

And I’m hoping your niece’s home was spared, but that’s probably a real long shot. I’m sorry.
PD
Pete_D
Oct 31, 2003
This forum, the pictures linked here, and in particular the challenge are all comfortable places to visit. I believe this is because we don’t get too serious about ourselves, or anything for that matter while here except photography, art, and using PSE. It is clear that some are here to escape the daily trials and problems they may face. If we start thinking too hard about what we post and/or link that comfort zone will become starained.

I cannot imagine how anyone could have any ill feelings from a "fire" tutorial, even the people directly involved out there. Our fire season is about to begin here and believe me there is not any picture or tutorial that I will or would object to.

Pete
LG
Lorace_Graham
Oct 31, 2003
I see what you all mean about the timeliness of this fire text. What a terrible tragedy So. California is experiencing, and I certainly agree that to wait would be a good thing.

Jane, so glad you got it and Byron, too. I sure wish my flames looked like flames. I’ll try again, perhaps it takes practice and an artist, I never was.

LOL

Any more neat tutorials anyone’s working on?? This was fun.

Lorace
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 31, 2003
Lorace, you may not have been aggressive enough with the liquify filter. It takes quite a bit of tugging to get realistic shapes.
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 31, 2003
Hi Lorace, I still don’t have it correct. The flames look like a blob, there isn’t any transparency into the text.
I seem to be missing something at that point.
Gotta keep trying, from scratch again.

Yes, any more of these fun tutorials are welcome, even if I still can’t do them yet, I sure will try.
Jane
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Oct 31, 2003
Hi Lorace and Jane,

When you use the liquify filter, make sure that you use the warp tool (the one at the top) and use it like you would an iron when ironing. Really push it out … if it doesn’t go far enough then go back and push it some more. To make it look like flames push it to one side then when it has gone that way push it the other way. Sort of wiggle the mouse about while you are doing it.

Oh dear now I can’t stop laughing ….. this must sound crazy 🙂

Jane … a couple of times you have to change the layer setting to screen mode … did you you do that?

Come on you two … you can do it!!!! … If I can you can !!!

I have a suggestion … write out the tutorial (or do a screen print) it is so much easier than trying to go backwards and forwards between the two things on the screen … that really gave me brain ache 🙂 Sadly I only thought of writing out after I had finished.
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 1, 2003
Barbara,

I found that I became frustrated with the initial results at the suggested settings for the Liquify brush size and pressure.

I had better (IMO) results by starting off with larger numbers for each for "tugging" the first set of flames.

Byron
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 1, 2003
So did I, Byron. It took too much effort with their settings.
BE
Bob_E._Warren
Nov 1, 2003
Well, lacking other’s sensitivity in these matters, I’m afraid I created and submitted an image using the fire tutorial as well as the little witch before I came across this discussion. My apologies if anyone’s offended.
Bob Warren
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 1, 2003
We’ve determined this group is too rational to be offended, Bob! Being reasonable people, they take these things in the spirit in which they’re intended. I’m sorry I brought it up, although I did feel a little bit comforted that at least one other person had had a similar thought.
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 1, 2003
Hi Wendy, Same thing happens to me all the time, when I laugh, the mouse wiggles. Then when I laugh too much, my husband and the dog come running in to see what I am laughing at.

I have found that I cannot listen to iTunes music when I am working on photos either, as the music makes me also move the mouse. Especially when I am listening to the electric blues.

Yes, I will, I will! get this fire text thing!
Jane
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 1, 2003
Bob, I doubt that you could offend anyone even if you tried! I sure wasn’t offended –

Wendy…Now you mentioned the WARP tool. I noticed today that when I went to liquify, I got the little hand that I’m trying to pull the flames with. I wondered about that. Perhaps that’s my problem.

Yes, I printed it all out the other night – a job in itself. What I did, though, was copied and pasted it into Notepad, then into word. That made it easy from this angle.

Well, back to liquifying and trying to find the warp tool. And I think I agree about the higher settings!

Thanks, everyone.
Lorace
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 1, 2003
Bob,

I think your image is just fine… probably much less "risky" than my own.

If anyone wishes to see what I did to the poor little creature, I’ve put him at
http://home.comcast.net/~hey-m0e/hot.jpg

Don’t click it if fake fire added to a whimsical image will upset or offend you… it was just a confluence of the Challenge image, and this wonderful tutorial… ’nuff said.

Byron
PD
Pete_D
Nov 1, 2003
Byron

After looking at your image and thinking about the spirit with which I am sure you created it, all I can say is……. that is funny. (I know,…. I am callous….maybe crude. I am sorry for that. I even think it is funny when Daffy Duck gets his beak knocked off….. and all things like that too 🙂

Pete
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 1, 2003
Thanks, Pete…

I had fun making it, and am glad you see it for the humor that I intended.

Byron
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 1, 2003
Byron,

That was darling! If I only had a brain….ha ha. He spuns his wheels too hard. Your flames are great!! Me thinks they speak with forked tongues.

I had problems with the liquify this last time. When the warp tool appeared, the vertical line that appears before applying Text appeared and I couldn’t do a thing. When I tried to liquify, suddently the letter appeared blue with a white background. I tried again, and it pulled the letters, yet I was on the right layer.

Oh, well. I’ll just have to be satisfied with my first pudgy flames.

Thanks for sharing your pic.

Lorace
BE
Bob_E._Warren
Nov 1, 2003
Byron —
I liked your image — and the double-tongued flames are a nice technique to remember. Bob Warren
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 1, 2003
Byron and Bob … I have just been to look at your images and think they are both superb. I keep looking round for something else to use it on … in the UK we celebrate "Bonfire Night" on the 5th November not sure if some of you know about that 🙂 but I think I will be able to use it then.

Lorace … the little hand thing … thats the thing that you use to move the picture around the screen so no wonder you didn’t manage it. Regarding the text tool appearing … are you sure that you merged the layers before you started?

On a diferent note …Last night I had a play around trying to make icicles. If I do manage to do it I will let you all know.

Regards
Wendy
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 1, 2003
Wendy, first: Somehow I missed the Link to Bob’s image. Could it be posted again?

Second: about the Text tool. Yes, I had merged the layers. And last nite I ran into all sorts of difficulties with this fire text.

1st – I started a new one, and it would not give me the 82 pt type. I had to settle for a small one. Then, it would not give me any color at all when I did the hue adjustment layer. I even closed out, deleted my preferences and started over with the same problems.

To top it off, I got the text tool again with the liquify. In fact, I don’t know where the Warp tool is. To get to liquify, I go to Filter, Distort, Liquify. Now I’m wondering if even that is right.

Sorry, maybe today will be better. LOL (the kicker came when I tried the liquify and lost everything on the screen – the layer pallet went empty). Think my program must have burned out?

Lorace
BE
Bob_E._Warren
Nov 1, 2003
Lorace —
I believe Wendy was referring to my #2 image in this week’s challenge. It’s at: <http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/Present/39BobWarren2.html> Bob Warren
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 1, 2003
Bob, I found it after I left here and it was fabulous. You all are so creative.

Since I was here, I found the Warp tool on the Liquify page, but still cannot use it. I’ll click on it and end up with the Magic Wand to Liquify with. Then I undo that and found that if I’m on the TEXT then I can choose the Warp tool – but it still doesn’t work as the Text line appears.

I’m giving up on doing another one of these. The program refuses to give me 85 pt type, etc. I’m convinced that I’m too much of an amateur to try something so complicated. But I’m learning from the mistakes, realizing I didn’t get the color because I didn’t choose Colorize. Oh, me.

Sorry to bug you all with my problems. Thanks for your patience.

Lorace
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 1, 2003
Hi Lorace,

Now stop getting bothered about the tutorial and try this for me. Choose any colour photograph you have (it doesn’t matter which one) then go to Filter/Distort/Liquify …. look down the right hand side, you should see:

Brush size 64
Brush Pressure 50
Turbulent Jitter 70

If not … then change the boxes to those settings.

Click on the tool that is on the top left hand side of the screen … it looks like a little finger pointing down. Your cursor should be a round shape … now pass the cursor across your image and you should see it distort. You can push it one way or another … its like your image is wet and you can mix it together.

Let me know if you can do that OK

You can do it 🙂

Wendy
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 1, 2003
Bob, It is a neat image! The firey text! I am getting closer to learning how to do this, I will just keep working on it.
Jane
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 1, 2003
a few hours ago I followed the tutorial..of course i had to tweek it up. Anyways, totally forgot that I was online ( dial -up_ and I just sat down to check my mail and realized I was still on line !!! oops
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 1, 2003
Wendy:

Wow! Yes I can do that, except for the TURBULENT JITTER.

It is greyed out.

I just realized that I could do the liquify right there in the choices box. I had been going back to my image to do it, after saying Ok. So that’s something I just learned.

I wonder why the jitter isn’t jittering???

Anyway, thanks much. That did help me to a great degree.

Lorace
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 1, 2003
Hi Lorace,

Now you are going in the right direction … so go for it and start the tutorial again. I can’t work out why the Turbulent Jitter was greyed out but maybe it is due to the type of photograph you were working on.

You are doing great … PS2 is complicated and I learned a lot by just making mistakes … it just takes time to get there, but you are doing fine. Just stick with it 🙂

Wendy
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 1, 2003
Hi Jodi.

I did that the other day and found out that I had been on line for 3 hours … thank goodness I am on a fixed rate for my internet access …. otherwise the bill would have been rather large 🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 1, 2003
Wendy, yes i pay a flat rate as well but I guess if someone was trying to call….oh well. Anyways, I should have known that I’d forget…when I get started in my graphics i lose all track of the outer world. Sometimes I have to stop and really step away….although that thought takes at least an hour for me to actually follow through with it 😉
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 2, 2003
Hi Jodi and Wendy and all, I really love this thread, you all are so creative!

Once I figure out how to do this fire-text, I will be in PSE heaven, and my husband will be happy, I will stop being grumpy.

If you are on dial-up, just leave your cell phone on. If they really need to call you, they can get thru.

Jane
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 2, 2003
Hi Jane,

How are you doing with it now? .. I must admit that I have really enjoyed this tutorial. I have been searching around the internet trying to find another one, but nothing seems as good.

Jodi … once I start doing something I just get totally carried away and before I know it .. we are into the early hours of the morning. Nowadays people know they won’t be able to get through on the telephone so they tend to E Mail me instead 🙂

Must go as its way past midnight already
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 2, 2003
Hi Wendy, Tis 8 here, and even tho I haven’t done well with this tutorial, it sure is a wonderful one.
I will keep working on it. A wonderful project that I will do sooner or later,,,, Busy weekend here, keep us posted, as this is so much fun! Jane
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 2, 2003
That tutorial was one of the early ones I did when I was first using elements a year ago now (I always liked jumping in feet first!). As I didn’t have the add-ons then, I must have done without the layer mask – but I can’t find my psd copy of the image I made – only the flattened jpg in the fansite I posted it on. (yes I have another obsession than Elements…) The flames looked a lot better in the larger original, and I jiggled with the technique a fair bit – I wanted the original calligraphy to show up more so I kept the flames small.

< http://www.tolkienonline.com/gallery/gallery_item.cfm?ID=692 2>

I have two phone lines, otherwise I’d be in deep trouble!….but I’m getting ADSL broadband in the next couple of weeks (hopefully).
Susan S.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 2, 2003
Oh yes, The Hobitt (sp?) right ??

very cool Susan…Welcome back !! ( I know you’ve been home for a while but I was not in a good time during your return so a little belated it is…
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 2, 2003
Lord of the Rings actually, Jodi (same author, but (slightly) more adult market than the Hobbit!) – I’ve been back a couple of weeks, but more lurking than posting – I seem to be having some trouble getting back into the normal routine. Thanks for the welcome back..
Susan S
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 2, 2003
Hi, Jane, Jody, Wendy and all.

Well, what I’ve learned through this tutorial is fabulous. I completed it, again, and I’m really pleased with my flames this time. I learned how to Merge Into a layer, how to Merge down, I learned Ctrl-U and to check colorize (LOL) and I learned a lot about Liquifying, more than I might have ever wanted to know. ha ha.

Wendy, your encouragement has been so beneficial to me. I’m wondering if my Jiggle was greyed out because I’m not using a stylus, and it seems to me that they are connected somehow.

Thanks so much to all of you. I do hope we’ll be doing another one of some sort together.

Lorace
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 2, 2003
Hi Lorace,

WOW … you did it … Congratulations, See we said you could. I suppose now you are "making flames" on everything in sight 🙂 :). It is only by playing about with PS2 that you learn. Most tutorials are far easier than this one … but the effects are not as good as this.

Susan … I have been over to look at your work … but wouldn’t you know it, the site is down. I will go over there later …

Jodi … Have just been over to the Challenge. What can I say, your work is so brilliant … you should be writing tutorials. If I ever manage to be a quarter as good as you I will be well satisfied.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 2, 2003
Wendy, thanks for the encouragement ! I’m just not focused enough at the moment to be writing tutorials of any kind although I’m kind of an expert on diapers and what goes in them 😉

here’s <http://www.mybizz.net/l/w/lwsfrye/fire.jpg> my fire tute rendition.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 2, 2003
Jodi,

That is awesome … so fantastic that I am totally lost for words.

Inside of diapers … well I always wondered where you got your inspiration from but I never every thought of that one 🙂 :).

Thanks for sharing your rendition it really is so good …….
R
RobertHJones
Nov 2, 2003
Hi Jane,

Somehow I missed your message before. Sorry about that.

I use the "stamp visible" very frequently, it’s quite handy. I often use it instead of "merge down" when I want to retain the original layer structure.

It’s been so long that I’ve forgotton where I originally learned about it. Probably the reference card although I have seen it in various tutorials. "Stamp visible" is what Elements titles the layer in the history palette.

Apparently, Adobe left quite a bit of the photoshop code in elements. Probably for compatibility reasons so it could open a file created in the full Photoshop and render the image but not edit the unsupported layer types. Some features appear to be items that were considered for inclusion but dropped for some reason — curves, for example. It’s really amazing what’s in there.

Bob
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 2, 2003
Jodi! How absolutely breathtaking your WAR picture is. I must go along with Wendy – I loved your Challenge pictures. Hey, Wendy, let’s aspire to be like Jodi. She is a real inspiration and role model.

It’s so long since I’ve had diapers to contend with. I do recall what they’re for, though. LOL

I just wrote a review on Epinions.Com about PSE 2.0. If you’d be interested, here’s the link:

<http://www.epinions.com/content_117328547460>

Have a great day, everyone. I hope we do another tutorial together.

Lorace
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 2, 2003
Lorace, that was quite the review ! Everyone will think you work for adobe 😉

Great Job!

P.S. glad ya’ll liked ma’ fire ! Thanks ( southern tongue at the moment )
PA
Patti_Anderson
Nov 2, 2003
Never one to ignore a "challenge"…this is the result: <http://www.pbase.com/image/22916060>

Another word for challenge is "learning experience!" This one was no exception. I hadn’t tried the blending modes before — there is always something new to learn in PE!

Patti
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 2, 2003
Patti, that looks really neato ! Great work ! Bravo
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 3, 2003
Hi Everybody, Great review, Lorace! PSE is the best. Adobe is the most fun of all! All your pictures are really awesome!
I spent the day with husband and dog hiking in the best weather that we should not be having here, so will keep working on FireText tomorrow.
This is the most fun!
Jane
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 3, 2003
Oh, Patti! If flames could be called gorgeous, yours certainly can be called that. They are so graceful and the entire picture is lovely. I can almost hear music playing.

Great. Loved seeing it.

Lorace
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 3, 2003
Thanks, Jodi and Jane. Glad you liked the review. It was extremely easy to write because I meant every word of it.

Jane, we’re having beautiful weather in Arizona, too. It is such a relief from the PYRO summer we had thru October. LOL Keep enjoying yours!

Yes, this has been so much fun and such a learning experience.

Lorace
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 3, 2003
Hi Susan,

Just been to have a look at your image (the site is working now) and it is really good. I do have to ask though … if that was your first tutorial, what on earth did you follow it with !! :).

And talking about following it with … anybody any ideas for a new tutorial??
DS
Dick_Smith
Nov 3, 2003
On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 10:55:56 -0800,
wrote:

I have followed this entire thread on the Fire Tutorial. I have in mind to pull out all of the salient posts and group them together. Dunno if its worth or not.

At any rate, this was one great project. Also, it is one of the few complete web pages I have downloaded. then I printed it for future reference.

It makes a great addition to my "Tips and Tricks" folder!

Thanks Wendy for starting the whole thing.

Dick Smith

Using M2, Opera’s revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 3, 2003
Hi Dick, What a good idea! I must admit that I still haven’t done it right yet, but I intend to sooner or later.
This is one of the best tutorials, the neatest thing I have seen in a long while, and I will do it! But as you say, I think that I should take all the instructions that everybody has included here, and put it all together, with the tutorial page instructions.
Thanks,
Jane
DS
Dick_Smith
Nov 3, 2003
On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 14:00:04 -0800, wrote:

Thanks, Jane. I just now noticed that others had talked about screen printing various sections.

If you use IE and it is version 5 or later (I think) thee is a "print preview" choice in the File menu. You can actually see how the pages will print and how many there will be.

With this tutorial I found it had 8 pages. Printing the whole thing seems to make it easier for me to follow than just writing down the steps.

I also saved the whole page so I could send it to a couple of friends as an email attachment, thus saving some of the slow downloads on that site.

Dick

Using M2, Opera’s revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 3, 2003
Thanks Wendy! It wasn’ t the first tutorial I did – but I’d only had Elements a couple of months…. I think the first tutorial I did was one of the ones on Janee’s photoshop tutorials – <http://myjanee.home.insightbb.com/tutorials.htm>
(jeweled gold text and antique gold text both of which require a Lot of workarounds for Elements! – but there are a lot of good things on that site which work with elements out of the box)

Susan S
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 3, 2003
Dick, The fire tutorial really is one of the best tutorials I have come across and I think that we have all enjoyed sharing it … lets hope that in the future many other people enjoy it too.

Susan, I will check out the site for my next project, jeweled gold text sounds good … thank you for the link.
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 3, 2003
Dick,

As an alternative to printing, I have taken to using the Save As, Web Archive in IE6. (I don’t know if it exists in earlier versions… sorry)

When viewing the web page, click File-Save As. Then in the dialog, change "Save as type" to "Web Archive, single file (*.mht)".

This captures the entire contents of the web page, as you see it on your screen, into a single file on your HD.

You can then view the file at any time – images included.

It may not be "for" everyone, but I recommend trying it to see if it is of value to you.

Byron
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 3, 2003
That feature is also available in IE 5.0 for Mac, in case anybody is interested.
PD
Pete_D
Nov 4, 2003
Byron,

Good tip on saving web information. I am guessing that this stores the entire page on HD and not merely a link? (Since my connection is "always on line" I can’t tell and don’t want to take the ten minutes or so to unplug the modem and see).

Pete
DS
Dick_Smith
Nov 4, 2003
On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 16:35:15 -0800, wrote:

Byron,

Good tip on saving web information. I am guessing that this stores the entire page on HD and not merely a link? (Since my connection is "always
on line" I can’t tell and don’t want to take the ten minutes or so to unplug
the modem and see).

Pete,

You are correct, the entire site is saved, including the images. It is great to recall, even if you are always online. The recovery speed is much better,

Dick
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 4, 2003
Byron, thanks for the tip on saving the page. I have dial-up and there are times i have to skip following a lllloooonnnngggg tutorial because I don’t want to be on-line for hours *( I have only one phone line ) and I certainly don’t want to waste ink printing tutes !
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 4, 2003
Now what I don’t know, Byron, is if that thing will stay "good" if Adobe clears out the old postings. I wouldn’t think so, would you? I know they did a major housecleaning about a year ago, and some people were really unhappy because all of the threads they had bookmarked were useless! If it’s something you really, really, want, printing is the most reliable!
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 4, 2003
Beth,

Saving as a Web Archive creates a file on your own hard drive, so it no longer matters what happens to the original on the web… you’ll always have that snapshot of that web page until you delete it.

Byron

Edit – I concur that paper is an attractive, easy way to save things… I print lots of things. But I still make electronic copies as a hedge against losing the hard copy. I have CDs full of Web Archives, as well as all of the brushes, patterns, plugins, etc. that I’ve collected.

So the Web Archive saves the web page just as safely as any other file on your system.
PA
Patti_Anderson
Nov 4, 2003
If you’re looking for more great tutorials like the fire text, check out the Photoshop Guru’s site and click on the link for PDF tutorials. You will never get bored AND you will never get any work done! LOL

<http://photoshopgurus.info/index.htm>

Patti
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 4, 2003
I saved the fire tutorial as a Netscape file, Saved As, Source, and it worked. I hope that it means that this is preserved on my hard drive, and if it were taken off the web, it still would be here on my Mac?

Now to save this thread, as I couldn’t do this without all your great explanations! Jane
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 4, 2003
I have a problem …. a while back I switched from Internet Explorer to Safari. Whilst I can still save pages in Safari … the images are not saved along with page, this means I have to keep switching back to Internet Explore if I want to save tutorials.

Anybody using Safari …. and any ideas????
KW
Kyle_White
Nov 5, 2003
Hi Wendy,

My main browser is Mozilla, but this works with Safari too. What I do is select the "Show All Messages" on the Forum, then hit print and then save as PDF. Works like a charm.

The disadvantage is that it’s not editable unless you have the full Acrobat package.

Kyle
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 5, 2003
Hi Wendy, I just found that the pages that I saved in Netscape 4, wont deal with Netscape 7. I dont like NS 7 anyway. So I saved the forum(this one)ones as text also, which can be opened with no problem in any browser. But the Netscape files that I saved, I converted to source(images intact) so they can be opened in any browser too???? I havent used Safari nor any of the other new ones, as they have ‘issues’. So I would suggest to save them in IE or NS, both source(will save the images) and text to be safe.
I am NOT good at this stuff, so tend to be verrrrry redundant. Do I have the option to save as PDF? No. Not yet anyway. I will be interested in how the experts do this, as this is a fantastic tutorial and I will save and work on it.
Learn something new here every day!
Jane
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 5, 2003
Hi Kyle … thanks for the information.

Jane … I don’t like Netscape at all … I think that I just get used to things and then don’t like to change. I went to Safari when I found out that IE for Macs isn’t going to be supported any more … I suppose that gave me the push to use something new. I quite like Safari and haven’t had any problems with it … it seems to be a lot quicker than IE and doesn’t crash like IE used to do. For the moment I am dropping back to IE for saving web pages and its working OK but I hope to find a way round it.

I have just moved onto the Jewel Text tutorial that Susan suggested but am having all sorts of problems with it 🙂 How is your fire one coming along?
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 5, 2003
Hi Wendy, I probably will get Safari when I get my new iMac, but for my G4 OS 9 machine I will stick with the older stuff.
I am looking forward to the new OS and all the goodies, I guess I just get used to things too.

I still am stuck on the Fire text tutorial, but am still working on it. Had a couple of busy days, so will tackle it again this afternoon.
I love these projects.
Jane

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections