eddie
May 18, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
Using PS 8.
When using Photoshop I and led to believe that it is useful in many ways to copy the background to a new layer so not effect the original image. As this makes the file twice the size am I correct on deleting the original background layer.
If not – why not and if so then apart from reducing the file size – why. Pretty new to all this so any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Eddie

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

C
Corey
May 19, 2005
"eddie" wrote in message
Hi,
Using PS 8.
When using Photoshop I and led to believe that it is useful in many ways
to
copy the background to a new layer so not effect the original image. As this makes the file twice the size am I correct on deleting the
original
background layer.
If not – why not and if so then apart from reducing the file size – why. Pretty new to all this so any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Eddie

Copying the background layer is often one of the first things I do. I do it mostly for comparison. I usually save my new version under a different name and file type so the original is still there somewhere on my hard drive. But to compare changes, especially when working on a photograph that requires color correction, transforming, or other manipulation, it is very easy to compare the new version to the original when they are in the same file, but on different layers.

Another trick is to take snapshots in your History Palette by clicking on the "camera" icon at the bottom.

Peadge 🙂
E
eddie
May 19, 2005
Hi Peadge,
Thanks for the help,looks like the next thing I need to learn is the History palette,guess I had better start searching for a few write ups and that subject.
Eddie

"Peadge" wrote in message
"eddie" wrote in message
Hi,
Using PS 8.
When using Photoshop I and led to believe that it is useful in many ways
to
copy the background to a new layer so not effect the original image. As this makes the file twice the size am I correct on deleting the
original
background layer.

Eddie

Copying the background layer is often one of the first things I do. I do it
mostly for comparison. I usually save my new version under a different name
and file type so the original is still there somewhere on my hard drive. But
to compare changes, especially when working on a photograph that requires color correction, transforming, or other manipulation, it is very easy to compare the new version to the original when they are in the same file, but
on different layers.

Another trick is to take snapshots in your History Palette by clicking on the "camera" icon at the bottom.

Peadge 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections