TI
Posted By
Thomas_Ireland
May 17, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
First, I’m colorblind to a certain degree and I know it. Even so, I can tell that the colors I see on my monitor and the colors on the paper from my printer can be worlds apart.

I know you can stock a library with what’s been written about color management, and I’d like to really understand it when I get the time to do so, but in the meantime, I could use some guidance from you all.

What I’d like is have the colors on my monitor (NEC) not look funny. No green-tinted people, bluish cats, or pink lemons. Secondly, I’d like the colors that come out on paper from my printer (Canon i860 with quality ink and papers) to be very close to what the monitor displays (after it’s color-corrected, of course!). Eventually, I might even like to set up my scanner (PlusTek OpticPro 9636T) to get the colors correct when I use it.

The wife’s been hinting around about getting me a monitor calibration device like the Gretag Mcbeth One Eye 2, or Colorvision’s Spyder for Dad’s day, but she doesn’t know anything about them, and I don’t know much more than she does.

I want something that will work with as little input from me as possible. After all, why ask the guy with color detection issues to do the calibrating, right? I’ve tried Adobe Gamma and I get different results every time. I also want something capable of setting up not just the monitor, but also the printer and maybe even the scanner. And it has to work with Windows 2k, though I don’t think that’ll be much of an issue.

I’m thinking those are my demands, but there might be others that I don’t know about yet. Also, I’ve read that some of these devices have add-on’s or additional modules if you will. I’m not sure if they cost extra, or if you just download the ones you need.

I’m hoping you good people here can tell me what they know about these calibration devices including which ones you use, the cost, how they work, you know…everything.

Thanks,

Tom Ireland

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EG
Eliot_Gutow
May 17, 2005
I got the bootom of the line colorvision and I am pleased. It was quite easy to use. It cost under 100.00.
T
tmalcom
May 17, 2005
I use a Spyder and am happy with the results. It’s also no-muss-no-fuss to use.
TI
Thomas_Ireland
May 17, 2005
Thanks guys. I accidentally stated I have an NEC monitor. I was at work and that is what I have there. At home it’s a Dell Trinitron Ultrascan P1110. I don’t guess that will matter much though.

I’ve been eying the ColorVision ColorPlus for $109.00 USD, and the ColorVision Spyder2 for $189.00 USD. Any reason to get one over the other? Other than price, that is.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections