RP
Posted By
Robert_Peirce
Oct 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This isn’t working right for me. I have a 1Ghz Mac G4 PowerBook with 512Mb of RAM running OS X 10.2.8 and Elements 2.0.

Problem 1 is Color Settings is under the Photoshop Elements dropdown instead of the Edit dropdown, as indicated in the manual! Also, you don’t have to have a file open to access it.

Problem 2 is I selected Full Color Management, but files are saved with sRGB embedded instead of AdobeRGB1998, or anything else. This also is contrary to the manual. sRGB is supposed to be used for Limited color management and AdobeRGB1998 for Full.

I reviewed the forum entries and found nothing related to this matter, but I can’t believe this is unique to me. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 23, 2003
Well, Robert, the answer to question 1 is that the Edit dropdown is for pcs, not macs. Nothing is wrong there-the Photoshop Elements menu is where it’s supposed to be on your computer.
RP
Robert_Peirce
Oct 26, 2003
Thanks, Barbara. I guess I should have figured that.

With respect to my second question, I think I figured that out myself. Prior to buying Elements 2.0, I had been converting everything to TIFF. If you open a TIFF file in Elements and "save as" any type, including TIF, it gets sRGB embedded. However, if you open a JPEG file and "save as" anything where you can embed, including TIF, it gets AdobeRGB1998 embedded. I have no idea why TIFF gets one and JPEG the other, nor do I know what that means. However, that’s the way it is. I also don’t know what happens if you open other types of files and "save as," but there is probably some standard applied.

This should work out okay because it was suggested to me that I not convert JPEGs to TIFF; that I just save them in that form (like a negative) and do any conversions when I decide to work on them. This was in response to a concern that TIF files are huge, over 6x the size of a JPEG.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections