GL
Posted By
G_Lee
Oct 22, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a Pent 4 (2.2Ghz) laptop with 512MB RAM and it takes a real long time to load the application. My desktop which is running at 1.5Ghz with the same amount of RAM loads it up fairly quickly. Anybody know what the issue is with running this app on a laptop or notebook?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 22, 2003
Are you a font-a-holic by any chance? Some people have a gazillion fonts loaded, and Elements tries to load everything in the Font Folder. Also, if you’ve added many "custom" things to Elements, like patterns, etc., each one will cause the loading process to slow down more. As the app is launching, can you detect that it’s slowing down at any particular point, such as "Loading Fonts"? Also, Elements is somewhat slow to load naturally, because there are so many pieces, so "a real long time" is rather subjective. How long is it?
GL
G_Lee
Oct 22, 2003
I just did the standard install. When I load Photoshop elements, I had task manager running as well to see what was happenning. After launching the app, it doesn’t do anything for about 45 sec to 1 minute and then I see it doing all that loading of fonts and stuff. The computer is idle at 98% for about a minute right after I launch the app.

On my desktop, it takes about 20 to 30 sec to load but there is no ‘lag’ time as in my laptop. Both are standard installs on Windows XP.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 22, 2003
This is a new one! We have had people complain about the length of the load time, but that lag before it starts doing anything is something I haven’t heard about before. Unfortunately, my primary computers are Macs, so even though I speak some Windows, I’m hoping somebody who’s more fluent in that language will come along and give you more suggestions. It will make it easier for them now that you’ve given more details, so thank you for that part. I’m sorry I don’t have any other suggestions. I’m assuming you’ve done the standard housekeepinjg chores recently?

OK Windows people, I’m sending this to the top of the stack again!
BB
brent_bertram
Oct 22, 2003
I run Elements on a much slower notebook with no such lag time. Mine is a Pentium 3-450, 256 MB Ram. I don’t have any good ideas, though, for solving your problem.

🙁

Brent
DH
Derwin_Hales
Oct 23, 2003
G Lee,

You may want to take a look at the power options of your notebook.. Under control panel, power options. I have a tab "Intel Speedstep Technology." If you have something similar, make sure it is set to "Maximum Performance" instead of Optimized Battery Performance.

Good Luck!
GL
G_Lee
Oct 23, 2003
I looked at my Power Options but do not see the Intel Speedstep Technology tab. Maybe it’s a download software for my laptop. I have a Compaq Evo 610c. I do remember seeing this option in the BIOS and somewhere else in my older laptop but don’t have it anymore. I’ll keep digging around for this.

What a shame that I have such a powerful notebook that doesn’t run some apps well.

Thanks for all the replies.
SR
Schraven_Robert
Oct 25, 2003
G Lee, reacting to your last remark I can say with confidence that if you have a powerful notebook PE should run like you would expect it. I cannot believe that your notebook doesn’t start immediately with visibly loading PSE2. There must be something else going on. I am no wizz but do you have other programmes running in the background like a virusscan? That sometimes delays things.

Robert

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections