Posted By
Lorace_Graham
Oct 21, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi!

So many times, I leave the Internet and start my PSE program and the message comes on that Adobe needs to connect to the Web to download files. It won’t take NO for an answer, so I need to reconnect and go thru the rigamarole.

I’m wondering how long it will do this? I’ve had it for only two months, can I hope that the program won’t need to do it soon, or does this go on indefinitely? LOL

I guess I need to be forewarned.

Thanks,

Lorace

Windows XP HE, 512mb ram, 80gb hd, IE 6.0

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PD
Pete_D
Oct 21, 2003
Lorace

Go to "Edit" / "Preferences" / "Adobe On Line". Set the Check for updates
to "Never".

You will hear when updates are available so it is not necessary to be checking every time the program is started.

Pete
LG
Lorace_Graham
Oct 21, 2003
For the love of Pete! Who’d have guessed?

Thank you so much, Pete. I hadn’t thought of that.

Lorace
LG
Lorace_Graham
Oct 21, 2003
Oh, Pete! Help, again.

I explored all my preference choices, again, and found no choice for Web updates. I also checked everything in the HELP files and found nothing. (Am I missing something?)

Perhaps I worded my first post wrong. It’s not updating FROM the WEB to me, it’s downloading from MY PSE. The notice tells me that no personal files are being transferred.

So I’m still wondering.

Lorace
PD
Pete_D
Oct 21, 2003
Lorace,

look at; Edit / Preferences / Adobe Online (bottom choice on pop out window.

The next window hat opens has a pull down. Click that and select "Never".

Pete
BG
Byron_Gale
Oct 21, 2003
Hi, Lorace.

I’m not Pete, but maybe this is what you need…

When you click Edit->Preferences, the bottom item is Adobe Online. Click that, then choose Never for the "Check for updates" option.

Byron
LG
Lorace_Graham
Oct 21, 2003
Thank you forever, Byron and Pete.

I had never seen the drop-down list for some reason.

And I thought I was computer-savvy? Hmmm. I feel like a beginner ever since I got this program.

But I love it!

Gratefully,

Lorace
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 21, 2003
Lorace, go to Edit>Preferences>Adobe Online. That’s where the box is for choosing how often Elements looks for updates. This one area should be in control of both incoming and outgoing, although there should never be an "outgoing" on this version of Elements. I think Adobe has created something like that in their newest release of Photoshop, although I haven’t read enough about it to know exactly what’s going on. Nevertheless, choosing Never should eliminate the problem.

Edit: Hmmm. I’m running slow again this morning! 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections