ML
Posted By
Mel_Lewis
Oct 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am working with many portraits in black and white. It seems to be the nature of the beast that whenever the subject’s hands are included the hands always seem to print in a lighter shade. I was wondering what would be the best method of selectively darkening, at least a portion of the hands,to achieve a more realistic tonal quality.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JH
Jim_Hess
Oct 20, 2003
There are actually a number of different ways you can accomplish this. I’m not a professional with any of these techniques, but here are a couple that I have used. Using the magnetic lasso tool, create a selection that includes the hands. Copy that area and then paste it onto a new layer. Then you can use the burn and dodge tools to work on just the hands. Or, as an alternative, you could use the brightness/contrast tool or the lightness Ctrl on the hue/saturation tool to make adjustments to the layer. And then, you can always adjust the opacity of the layer as well.
EM
Elena Murphy
Oct 20, 2003
I would only add to Jim’s suggestion that you feather your selection a few pixels first. (Under the Select Menu.) Otherwise you may get a visible hard edge if you’re making more pronounced changes.
JH
Jim_Hess
Oct 20, 2003
Good point!
LK
Leen_Koper
Oct 20, 2003
This is the way I do it. I use a layer, choose a large black soft brush and paint it over with 50% opacity.
After this has been done I reduce the opacity of the layer to the apropriate amount of shading. I learned this works much better than darkening a selection as often -if you ever work in colour- the saturation increases and you will have to adjust this too. Moreover, a large soft brush prevents visible hard edges.

In classical portraiture I use the same technique for vignetting the corners, both in the studio and in environmental portraiture. This is a much more exact way of vigneting than the "old" analogue way of applying dark vignettes in the bellows type shades I used just only a year ago.

The classical technique to avoid this problem is to shade the light from the hands; this way you will produce a soft and very natural way of vignetting.
If you work in a studio with a softbox as the mainlight, tilt the softbox upwards until the hands will darken; just a slight difference often will do the job.

Leen
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 21, 2003
The Kelby method of dodge and burn is my favorite. A little more involved, but infinitely adjustable.
1. Create a new layer over your base image (Layer<New<Layer). When the New Layer dropdown appears, change Mode to Overlay (or Soft Light) and put a check in the box "Fill with neutral color (50% gray)
2. Choose the new gray layer in the layers palette.
3. Set your color picker in the toolbox to default colors (black and white).
4. Go to the brush tool; select a soft brush with opacity perhaps 20%.
5. ‘Paint’ on the gray layer with white to lighten the image below, black to
darken. Can switch back and forth between black and white to your heart’s content.

Chuck

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections