Posted By
john_m_phillips
May 16, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all…
When I browse for images on my computer, all images have a sepia colour cast, and I get a message saying the image has an imbedded colour that does not match the current RGB working space. I have to choose "discard the profile (do not colour manage)" in order to get correct colours.

What causes this and how do I correct it?
The images are from my Olympus C8080, which does not have selectable colour profiles, as far as I know.
Any ideas what is going on?
Thanks!
John

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Bigguy
May 16, 2005
Go to colour settings in PS – what colour space/profile are you using?

Firstly, disable Adobe Gamma at startup….

Guy

wrote:
Hi all…
When I browse for images on my computer, all images have a sepia colour cast, and I get a message saying the image has an imbedded colour that does not match the current RGB working space. I have to choose "discard the profile (do not colour manage)" in order to get correct colours.

What causes this and how do I correct it?
The images are from my Olympus C8080, which does not have selectable colour profiles, as far as I know.
Any ideas what is going on?
Thanks!
John
C
chrisjbirchall
May 16, 2005
What do you have Photoshp’s working space set to?

Do the images have the sepia look just in PS or in Windows Explorer too?

Forum contributer Ian Lyons has some excellent essays on Colour Management on his web site <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps8_colour/ps8_1.htm> which will help you understand what is going on, and explain how to set up your monitor and system for a colour-managed workflow.

Chris.
KC
Kent_C
May 16, 2005
"all images have a sepia colour cast"

Specialize in B&W 🙂

Hmmm… Your camera does have a sepia selection and wondering if you’ve reviewed your images in-camera before uploading them – ie. in your review mode, do the pics have a sepia cast – if so, you probably inadvertently hit the wrong button sequence or didn’t change back after shooting in the mode.

If no…. then follow Chris’ advice above – ie. are they showing that way in other windows apps. And see if the exif has any info on the embedded color space.
JM
john_m_phillips
May 17, 2005
Hi Kent and Chris:
I wasn’t very articulate, I apologize.
I checked more carefully, and noticed that:

Only the images I took in the January snowfall have a strong sepia cast. I guess it has something to do with a manual setting of the camera’s colour balance. It is interesting, though, that no other image viewers or editors on my system show the colour cast.
With CD Browser, other images show a slight colour cast (yellowish red), and come up with the same message about using or discarding the imbeded colour profile. So, it seems the camera imbeds a colour profile that only Photoshop can see.
Would it be helpful if I post a sample screen capture from within and without CD Browser? Thanks for any tips…
John
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 17, 2005
A non-color-managed application won’t even look at the embedded profile, since it’s used for color management. Those applications will simply display the RGB values as read to your monitor via the monitor profile set in Windows control panel (typically sRGB, unless you have created and applied a monitor profile). For consumer-grade digital photos, this is tolerable, since most consumer-grade cameras use the sRGB profile, which is the default for JPEGs. Professional and "prosumer" digital cameras typically allow you to select a profile, such as AdobeRGB, Apple’s profile (ColorSync or something like that), or others. If your camera is set to a profile other than sRGB and you view the image in a non-color-managed application, colors will be mapped differently than they should be; AdobeRGB files, for example, will usually seem flat, unsaturated, and lower in contrast. There may be an overall color cast, also. Photoshop, on the other hand, uses the embedded profile (if you let it) to map colors to those intended by the camera’s software.
T
TikiTim
May 17, 2005
I had a similar problem with blacks turning slightly brown after installing my new Dell LCD monitors. I had assigned the profile for the monitor in the color management area of the Display control panel. No messing about with Photoshop’s profiles or Adobe Gamma would fix the problem. The solution came by just dumping the monitor’s profile and using none.

One of these days I’ll get a monitor calibration tool and fix whatever Dell broke in that profile.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections