CN
Posted By
citsym nogard
May 15, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
With the pen tool active, how do I make a curved line or an outline of a shape?

Every time I draw a curved line or a circle it fills it in. I know that PSCS2 is suppose to be able to do this or at least the pictures in the help section indicate it can. But I can’t find anything in the help section to tell me how to accomplish this. I know this is basic & in every other graphics program it is. Any help would be appreciated.

citsym nogard

‘I don’t approve of political jokes. I’ve seen too many of them get elected.’

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
Corey
May 15, 2005
"citsym nogard" wrote in message
With the pen tool active, how do I make a curved line or an outline of a shape?

Every time I draw a curved line or a circle it fills it in. I know that PSCS2 is suppose to be able to do this or at least the pictures in the
help
section indicate it can. But I can’t find anything in the help section to tell me how to accomplish this. I know this is basic & in every other graphics program it is. Any help would be appreciated.

citsym nogard

‘I don’t approve of political jokes. I’ve seen too many of them get elected.’

In the Tool Bar at the top of the screen you have three icons at the left, Shape layers, Paths and Fill Pixels. If Shape Layer is selected, it will fill with the foreground color. Paths won’t do this. So you can switch to Paths if you want and just create the outlines Paths can be filled later on. But there is another way that is probably even better. Just turn down the Opacity or Fill of the layer at the top of the Layers Palette. This will allow you to see through the fill color.

Peadge 🙂
CN
citsym nogard
May 16, 2005
"Peadge" wrote in message …

: In the Tool Bar at the top of the screen you have three icons at the left, : Shape layers, Paths and Fill Pixels. If Shape Layer is selected, it will : fill with the foreground color. Paths won’t do this. So you can switch to : Paths if you want and just create the outlines Paths can be filled later on.
: But there is another way that is probably even better. Just turn down the : Opacity or Fill of the layer at the top of the Layers Palette. This will : allow you to see through the fill color.

Thank you for responding.

The 1st suggestion does work, but requires me to do several more things to get what I want. It shouldn’t be that complicated, considering what I want to do is a simple curved line.

The 2nd suggestion makes me think I wasn’t clear as to what I’m trying to do. I’m trying to make an outline drawing, something like a picture out of children’s coloring book. Just simple 1 pixel wide, anti-aliased black lines with no fill. At least I thought it was simple. :~)

citsym nogard
C
Corey
May 16, 2005
"citsym nogard" wrote in message

: In the Tool Bar at the top of the screen you have three icons at the
left,
: Shape layers, Paths and Fill Pixels. If Shape Layer is selected, it will : fill with the foreground color. Paths won’t do this. So you can switch
to
: Paths if you want and just create the outlines Paths can be filled later on.
: But there is another way that is probably even better. Just turn down
the
: Opacity or Fill of the layer at the top of the Layers Palette. This will : allow you to see through the fill color.

Thank you for responding.

The 1st suggestion does work, but requires me to do several more things to get what I want. It shouldn’t be that complicated, considering what I want to do is a simple curved line.

The 2nd suggestion makes me think I wasn’t clear as to what I’m trying to do. I’m trying to make an outline drawing, something like a picture out of children’s coloring book. Just simple 1 pixel wide, anti-aliased black
lines
with no fill. At least I thought it was simple. :~)

citsym nogard

Once you make the outline image using the Pen Tool, add a black stroke to it ( Layer Style) and set Fill to 0%.

Peadge 🙂
CN
citsym nogard
May 16, 2005
: Once you make the outline image using the Pen Tool, add a black stroke to it
: ( Layer Style) and set Fill to 0%.

Thank you.

Now the 2nd suggestion makes sense. I had forgotten about the stroke in layer styles.

One would think that such an expensive program would have a basic function.

Thanks for your help.

citsym nogard
S
SpaceGirl
May 16, 2005
citsym nogard wrote:
: Once you make the outline image using the Pen Tool, add a black stroke to it
: ( Layer Style) and set Fill to 0%.

Thank you.

Now the 2nd suggestion makes sense. I had forgotten about the stroke in layer styles.

One would think that such an expensive program would have a basic function.
Thanks for your help.

citsym nogard

You have to remember that this expensive program is a Photo EDITING package, not an art creation package. It has enough tools to create new art, but basically the UI seems to be designed around retouching. If you want proper painting tools, try Corel Painter.

Once you have set the line tools as Peadge suggested, PhotoShop will "remember" your settings and you wont have to go through all of that again.
CN
citsym nogard
May 17, 2005
"SpaceGirl" wrote in message …
: You have to remember that this expensive program is a Photo EDITING : package, not an art creation package. It has enough tools to create new : art, but basically the UI seems to be designed around retouching. If you : want proper painting tools, try Corel Painter.
:
: Once you have set the line tools as Peadge suggested, PhotoShop will : "remember" your settings and you wont have to go through all of that again.

Actually I have Corel’s products. I’m trying to learn PSCS2 & to me the best way is to use it exclusively for awhile. If I jump ship every time something becomes frustrating, I’ll never learn it. Which would turn PSCS2 in to an expensive, virtual paperweight. :~) Besides a basic feature like this is just as useful in a photo editor as it is in any other graphics program.;~)

citsym nogard

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections