RP
Posted By
Robert_Perless
May 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I get this message when I try to open a photoshop file. I have tried to open it both by clicking on the file and using the open command in photoshop. I see the thumbprint in the open dialogue box, but I get the unexpected end of file message every time. There is no reference to this message in the photoshop users guide.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
May 3, 2004
Most likely the file is corrupt and will never open.

You can try opening with ImageReady if its RGB.

or

Graphic Converter – a Shareware app you can find at Versiontracker.com
NK
Neil_Keller
May 3, 2004
Robert,

As Buko has indicated.

The computer is expecting to see more information than the file has provided. At least part of the file is missing or corrupted. There is generally little hope of retrieving this file undamaged. I hope you have a backup.

Is this the only file you have like this? Or one of many? What is the source of the corrupted file? If you are creating corrupted files on your system, please tell us your workflow, in detail.

Thanks.

Neil
R
Ram
May 3, 2004
Buko and Neil are right. An “unexpected end of file" practically always means an irreparably damaged file.

Just so you can be assured that’s the case, try opening it with Graphics Converter. That might work one in ten million times.
J
jonf
May 3, 2004
Is this a psd file, or some other format? Can the file be imported into Illustrator or InDesign, by any chance? Outside chance you can salvage it from there, if that’s a better option than re-creating it completely. (Obviously you wouldn’t have any layers, text etc.)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections