AP
Posted By
alex p howard
May 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
does anyone know how to make a drinking glass?

preferably photorealistic?

and maybe a sandwich on the side 😉

any tips or tutes can you contact

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 2, 2004
Here’s a quick one I did in Photoshop 7. Pretty rough,could use soem highlights and reflections, better perspective, etc. But under 20 minutes:

<http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/water_glass.jpg>

Basically I made the top and bottom shapes, the barrel of the glass and the water on different layers all filled with white and applied a Layer Style which consists of a drop shadow, inner shadow and inner bevel. The water also has a gradient fill.

The key is Fill Opacities set low to zero. My glass styles can be downloaded from here:

<http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edglass.sit>

Having said all that, you would be much better off making your glass in a 3D program where you can get realistic perspective and surface rendering.
NK
Neil_Keller
May 3, 2004
….Or [idea!], take a photo.

Neil
P
Phosphor
May 3, 2004
I’m with Neil on this one.

Sometimes it’s wise not to dismiss the obvious choice.

There’s a reason it’s called Photoshop.

Glass objects are notoriously difficult to create from scratch unless you are one heck of a well-practiced artist. I can get close, but the glass stuff I’ve tried has never been to my satisfaction.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 3, 2004
The advantage of going with the photograph is that it includes lunch.

Just don’t take too long over the shot, or the sandwich will curl-up and die.
G
graffiti
May 3, 2004
and maybe a sandwich on the side

What type of sandwich.

Pastrami is easy to produce. Tuna salad on the other hand…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 4, 2004
Just buy a real one; photograph it; then eat it.
Quick. Easy. And nothing left to clean-up.
SJ
Stevie_J_V
May 4, 2004
Stupid Flanders!
P
Phosphor
May 4, 2004
"Stupid Flanders!"

….and dang those overly-talented ducks who learn the stiff parts in 30 minutes like they were beginning "A,B,C’s!" I always hated the musicians I’ve played with that could do that.

Damn my old buddy Steve Jewett all to hell for being 16.5 years old and able to learn Jeff Beck’s parts from Blow by Blow the Tuesday afternoon it was released!!! We went to the record store after school the day it was released.He bought it, and we went back to his house. I watched him do it.

Bastid, talented bastids.

Stoopid Jewett!!!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 4, 2004
How did you lot get in here?????????
:~)

All that talk about glasses and sandwiches and they obviously thought that the sign over the door said "Lounge"!
P
Phosphor
May 4, 2004
So what, Ann..are you a cop now?

😉
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 4, 2004
Me? Hardly!
:~)

But the last bunch of messages didn’t have much connection with this thread did they?

I just reckoned some of you guys were a bit befogged and in search of a strong brew to fill that empty tumbler.
P
Phosphor
May 4, 2004
Alex got driven in the right direction, but then while we were driving, somebody turned the map upside down.

No worries, though. If he doesn’t reply, this thread will sink like a stone soon anyway.
L
LRK
May 4, 2004
{Edited} for the sake of better judgment.
P
Phosphor
May 4, 2004
Hey Linda!

Pull my finger!
P
Phosphor
May 5, 2004
EDIT! Ummm, oh, nevermind….didn’t come back in time.

Hey Linda!

Pull a U-Turn!
L
LRK
May 5, 2004
😉
L
Lukabrazzi
May 5, 2004
This is not so much an answer as a suggestion, but if you have a need for this sort of effect often I’d look into a reasonably priced 3D modeling program. Modeling a waterglass is usually a basic exercise early on in the tutorials and with minumum skills you could have your photo-realistic result in about fifteen minutes. To get the kind of effect you’re looking for out of PhotoShop will require a considerable amount of skill with the painting tools and superhuman patience. So there you have it.
N
NJOS
May 5, 2004
This question was in the ILL forum also and it basically got the same answer, take a photo.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections