Posted By
Josiah_Davidson
May 15, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Adobe time error bug – CS2, ACR, Bridge, and DNG converter

Photoshop CS2 erroneously reads the "Date Time" timestamp in File/File Info/ Camera Data 1 in the raw files of Canon 300D and Canon S45 and I suspect some other cameras too.
Adobe Camera Raw (ACR), Adobe Bridge, and Adobe DNG converter all have the same bug. Bridge and ACR then propagate these wrong times into XMP files and any files made from the raw files (PSDs, JPGs, etc.).
And to make matters worse, these erroneous times are embedded into "read only" fields in the "child" files.

This is all quite a shame to totally disable such a major work of software. Our business was in the process of building a complete new workflow around CS2, Bridge, & DNG converter, but we can’t use any of it because accurate date/time stamps are an essential and integral part of our complete filing system. We can’t even use the new ACR for any conversions because it ruins the conversion with a false timestamp.

We never saw any sign of this problem with previous versions of Photshop (CS) and ACR (pre 3.0). Now, using the same raw image files, we are seeing different time values with the new CS2 and its attendant plugins and supporting software.

I have posted a table with some sample files that show how in some cases the timestamp data is handled erroneously by the Adobe products and in other cases the timestamp data is handled properly. I am hoping that:
1) Adobe uses this information to fix this problem quickly so that we can get on with using this otherwise great software.
2) Adobe creates a utility to repair the damage it has done in embedding this erroneous timestamp data into DNG files, XMP files, and processed image files created from raw files.

The table and the files can be accessed by clicking here.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 15, 2005
Seems like there’s a 7 hour difference. Could there be a time zone correction from GMT being misapplied, or not being applied? And why in some cases and not in others?

You ought to repost this, if you haven’t already, in the Camera Raw forum.
JD
Josiah_Davidson
May 15, 2005
Thanks Mike. Apparently it is a random GMT time "correction" being misapplied. Why on some cameras and not others?
Why on raw files and not JPGs?

Here are multiple related discussions in various other forae.

Thijs Geuze, "DNG conversion resulting in EXIF "Date Time" changes" #19, 1 Apr 2005 2:46 pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/18>

Trevor Morris, "DNG conversion resulting in EXIF "Date Time" changes" #2, 1 Oct 2004 3:53 am </cgi-bin/webx?14/1>

< http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?addBookmark@@.3bba69 f5/5>

< http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?addBookmark@@.3bba3a aa/7>

< http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?addBookmark@@.3bb627 89>

Apparently this is a big can of worms that Adobe is not yet addressing. I just wish they would admit the problem, and say that they are working on a fix – both in the software and also in a utility to go in and repair all the image files with bogus embedded timestamp data that the latest Adobe software put there!
EC
Elizabeth_Coughlin
May 15, 2005
I am so glad to see this message! I have been going crazy trying to figure out what is wrong with my times in the raw format. I have also noticed that if I look at the files DIRECTLY from the flash card it messes with the date too!! I get a read of 1979!!! SO to not make this happen I have to go into the canon file viewer utility process the raw to a file then read the raw files in photoshop. HOWEVER, now the time is off!!! I own a canon 10d and g6 and the problem exists with both. I will be calling them on Monday to address this bug and hopefully the more awareness we bring the faster the fix.
Good luck to all!
Boston/
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
May 15, 2005
So that’s why my recent photos were taken in the 1940’s. I always wondered if there was some kind of magical time macnine or something messing with my cameras!
JD
Josiah_Davidson
May 17, 2005
How to fool Adobe Products into doing the right thing.
ACR 3+, DNG converter, Bridge, and Photoshop CS2 all read the timestamps of some Canon raw files as relative values – relative to GMT.
The dng file that DNG converter outputs has its timestamp in a form that the Adobe software reads and writes as literal time.
SO:
Close all your programs.
Tell your operating system (OS) that you are in GMT timezone. Using the DNG converter, convert your Canon RAW files to DNG format. Tell your OS that you are in back in your real timezone. Use your DNG files and Adobe will honor the time values in those files.

This procedure probably won’t mess up anything else in your computer as long as you don’t do or use anything while you are in your fantasy time zone! Good luck.

Hey Photoshop team, please fix Photoshop and its accessories so we don’t have to monkey around with these convoluted workarounds!
And thanks for otherwise great software.
-Josiah
DL
Dennis_Leonardo
May 18, 2005
Josiah, thank you so much for your prompt response. I’ll try your workarounds. Hopefully, it’ll also work in my situation.

I agree, Photoshop must fix and give top priority to this major bug! No way I’ll be doing this all the time. Two weeks(?) after its release and I can’t figure out why there’s not a major clamor for thousands of pro photographers about this problem. I saw it right away after install and I am only an amatuer-hobbyist.

Josiah, I’ll yet you know later if it worked for me. Again, thanks.

Dennis
CC
Chris_Cox
May 18, 2005
Have you tried using ACR 3.1 ?
JD
Josiah_Davidson
May 18, 2005
Chris. Yes, I have tried ACR 3.1. It is part of the problem. It has the timestamp bug.
DL
Dennis_Leonardo
May 18, 2005
Chris, As I related to Josiah, I also updated to ACR 3.1 and other pre-checks prior to utilizing this forum.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 19, 2005
Darn.
OK, back to Thomas.

(and you should keep this discussion in the ACR forum)
DL
Dennis_Leonardo
May 19, 2005
"…(and you should keep this discussion in the ACR forum)"

‘Got you Chris, I promise to keep it in this forum. But ’til when?
JJ
Jerry_James
Jun 12, 2005
I reported, along with others, this same problem in CS1, many moons ago, and with no result. Now I have downloaded CS2 tryout, not only looking forward to the great new features, but to having this nuisancce removed. But no. I just took some shots with my Canon 300D on June 11 at about 4:30pm and downloaded them at about 6:40pm. Bridge metadata is reporting the shots taken on June 10 at 8:26 pm. I put my CF card back in the camera to check the camera settings recorded and they were correct. My computer time/date are correct. This is a bug. I am impressed with Bridge and Photoshop new features, but for Adobe to leave this hanging around through a new release is greatly disappointing. Is this going to be fixed?
JD
Josiah_Davidson
Jun 12, 2005
I am conisdering returning my CS2 for a refund and migrating to some other photo processing software.
I believe that Adobe has a responsibility to take its leadership position seriously. These kinds of bugs and corresponding slow/non response indicate a lack of appropriate responsibility.
DL
Dennis_Leonardo
Jun 12, 2005
To Jim Drew & Chris Cox,

It has been close to a month now since attention to this major bug has been brought to both of you and the forum by me and by some others. This bug is so major and primal that this is the very first thing that will catch anyone’s attention when you first look at your RAW files after a download. You begged for our discretion not to blow this out of proportion by keeping this discussion only "in the forum". We agreed. However, leaving it at that at this stage seem to forment a lacksidaisical attitude on your part. There is no ETA for a fix, not even a feedback as to status, and perhaps foremost is that top priority is not being provided, it so seems to me. Could you imagine at least what it has done to our workflow? Very disconcerting! What was done different to CS2 ACR from CS1 ACR? It was not broken, was it? You wouldn’t want to show someone a sunset landscape shot at 1:30 P.M., would you? I could go on and on…just to vent my frustration. Why was this product even release after all? It is not ready for prime time. As the cliche goes, "The natives are restless". I promised to keep my mouth shut outside of this forum and I don’t know for how long? The splash screen on PS shows credits on maybe hundreds of programmers that worked on the application. Get them all back on the ball and resolve this issue, I plead!
EC
Elizabeth_Coughlin
Jun 14, 2005
Hello Frustrated CS2 fans,

I have seen this time AND date problem too with my Canon10d and canon g6 and posted my issue and called them a month ago. I too have seen no fixes to this bug. I am wondering why we have not heard more noise on this subject??? I think we all need to call ADOBE and keep calling them regarding this or they will not think there is a real problem. The squeaky wheel gets the oil….
M
mwookie
Jul 5, 2005
I am also having this problem on a Canon 10d. Has there been any new o fixes since the middle of last month

mwooki
———————————————————— ———– mwookie’s Profile: http://www.highdots.com/forums/member.php?userid=40 View this thread: http://www.highdots.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67698

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections