BB
Posted By
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having a weird problem with PE and the files from my Canon s400. When I adjust levels to get a good color on an outdoor photo, the sky is always impossibly, ridiculously blue, like I was overusing a polarizing filter, or like some older books you see where the printer evidently believed there was no such thing as oversaturated color.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this, outside of cutting out the sky and adjusting that separately every time?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PD
Pete_D
Oct 16, 2003
Barbara,

It could be because we do get the bluest skies in Florida! 🙂

Kidding aside, maybe this would help; try a levels adjustment and setting the input to blue, then maybe a little to the right with the middle slider.

Pete
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 16, 2003
Barbara, how are you adjusting levels? Are you using the RGB composite or adjusting each channel separately? You may want to try tweaking the blue channel separately, although too much of that can create a color cast. The other idea is to add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer, then reduce the saturation of the blues by selecting them in the Edit box.

Chuck (playing hooky from work this morning)
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 16, 2003
‘Morning, Pete and Chuck. It’s not just the blue channel, it’s all of them. I have to mess with each individually and then desaturate to get back to anything remotely realistic.

If I do it for the whole photo, the rest of it looks like hell, so I have to select out the sky, yadayadayada.

The superblue skies are very pretty, of course, but I’m beginning to think this camera was tweaked to give nice skies to northerners shooting on dreary gray days.

It’s not a white point thing, I don’t think, because if I shoot, say, blue plumbago, the color for that is fine.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 16, 2003
Forgot to say it’s usually the green channel that’s the farthest off, FWIW.
PD
Pete_D
Oct 16, 2003
BTW Barbara,

If your camera is capable of doing this; Meter something low that is not affected by the sky when taking the picture. Some cameras can "hold" that meter reading if you hold the shutter button half way down. (Guess if you can try another metering the sky too and see what works best)

Pete
RR
Raymond Robillard
Oct 16, 2003
Barbara, would it be possible to provide a link for one of those pictures?

Thanks,

Ray
JD
Juergen_D
Oct 16, 2003
Barbara,

These photos were taken with a Canon S400. I like blue skies and usually increase the blue saturation slightly. Don’t the skies look pretty natural to you (not speaking of the sunrise)? A little emphasis doesn’t hurt?! http://www.concentric.net/~jdirrigl/ThisThat/

Juergen
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 16, 2003
Thanks, everyone. Ray, I will try to post something later on.

Pete, if I don’t meter off the sky it’s always totally blown out, no matter how much I stop down.

Juergen, wow Myrtle Beach has changed in the 20 years since I’ve been there!
ML
Marty_Landolt
Oct 16, 2003
PETE,
Don’t know if "Florida Blue Skies" is something to brag about. If I remember some of my geography, the blue is from polution and a white sky is the clearest.
Oh well, who cares….the blue is prettiest anyway.
Marty
PL
Paul_L_UK
Oct 16, 2003
I have got some brilliantly blue skys from both my S30 and S50. Looking at them it seems that they are ‘bluer’ when ther are little or no clouds in the sky and the sun is more behind.

I even get them in the UK – top that. 😉

Paul
PD
Pete_D
Oct 16, 2003
Barbara,

Sounds like you know what you are doing and maybe the camera is not doing what it should be.

Pete
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 16, 2003
Here’s <http://members.aol.com/bkbrun/northview.jpg> an example. If I tone it down, the sand becomes dull and the foliage colors are wrong, but this was actually a slightly overcast day.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 16, 2003
Barbara, FWIW…on my monitor, the sky looks nearly perfect – maybe a little on the purple side near the horizon on the right, but that’s a lot of miles of air absorbing red light before it gets to your camera….

Chuck
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 16, 2003
Chuck, I agree it’s very pretty, but the sky that day was actually kind of zinc-colored. (I’m not worried about the purple in this particular photo, since it was taken at mid-day).
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 16, 2003
Well, Barbara, I’d say you have a magic camera! I’ve tried all kinds of gimmicks to replace a sky that comes out too light and colorless, and it’s really tough to make it look convincing. But I know….you want the camera to capture what you really see, not what you might want to see.

Chuck
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 16, 2003
a sky that comes out too light and colorless

Oh, I get lots of those, too, if I forget and meter off my subject instead of the sky. You’d think I’d learn by now.

What I’m wondering is, if the sky is that blue now, what’s it going to look like when the cooler weather comes and we really do have blue skies?
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 16, 2003
Barbara, I found that selecting the sky in your image and adding a hue/saturation adjustment layer with approximately -19 saturation and +27 lightness made the sky less prominent. I also tried Auto Color Correction (PE2 feature) and it made the sky even bluer!

Chuck
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 16, 2003
Thanks, Chuck.

I know I can fix the sky by selecting it separately, but it’s a pain to have to do that every time. I was hoping/wondering if there some fix for the lazy person.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 16, 2003
Barbara, have you tried playing with the white balance? Maybe Auto doesn’t work well for this kind of shot. You have a bunch of choices of WB setting on your s400, including Custom. Might be worth experimenting a bit.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 16, 2003
Yes, I have, Chuck, thanks for suggesting it.

I find that if I move the white balance the sky is better but I get a color cast on the rest of the pic, and removing that puts me back in the cerulean realm again.
J
jhjl1
Oct 16, 2003
Hello Barbara. I tried adjusting the sky by using a gradient pattern on the upper part of the photo only.
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview/for_barbra I posted your photo and the one I worked on for comparison. This seems to be an easy way to correct sky exposure problems of any type. See what you think.

Have A Nice Day,
jwh 🙂
My Pictures
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview

wrote in message
Here’s <http://members.aol.com/bkbrun/northview.jpg> an
example. If I tone it down, the sand becomes dull and the foliage colors are wrong, but this was actually a slightly overcast day.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 16, 2003
Barbara, I knew you would have tested that, along with exposure compensation. Seems like you’ve come up with an anomaly in that CCD or its circuitry…
J
jhjl1
Oct 16, 2003
I did this quickly and didn’t play with the gradient or the opacity any. Mine is a tad too light but I think you get the idea I am trying to convey. It is a very easy way to adjust sky without making it look unnatural or causing problems with the rest of the photo.

Have A Nice Day,
jwh 🙂
My Pictures

wrote in message
Hello Barbara. I tried adjusting the sky by using a gradient pattern on the upper part of the photo only.
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview/for_barbra I posted your
photo
and the one I worked on for comparison. This seems to be an
easy
way to correct sky exposure problems of any type. See what you think.

Have A Nice Day,
jwh 🙂
My Pictures

wrote in message
Here’s <http://members.aol.com/bkbrun/northview.jpg> an
example. If I tone it down, the sand becomes dull and the
foliage
colors are wrong, but this was actually a slightly overcast
day.
JR
John_R._Collins
Oct 16, 2003
Barbara,
You shouldn’t have to go to all the suggested troubles in order to get a properly colored photo. I would suggest that you put a message on a newsgroup such as "rec.photo.digital" to see if others are having similar problems with their Canon s400’s. If not, you might contact Canon directly to see what they say, or take the camera back to where you bought it for repair or resetting. It could be that an internal setting is off as someone else has suggested.

Good luck,

John
I
imacgirl
Oct 16, 2003
Hi Barbara,

By any chance does your camera have a setting called "Vivid Color" under Color Mode? Mine does and if yours does as well, maybe you have it set on that. Just a thought.

Barb
R
Ray
Oct 16, 2003
Barbara,

Does your camera has anything like "Auto White Balance?" If so, try to defeat it and chose the
setting yourself. White balance gets confused at times and produces odd results. Look at page 73 of the user guide.

If this fails, check on page 74 for setting your own white balance. This is, by far, the best way to go. But not everybody carries a big piece of perfectly white material (cardboard) to balance the
colours of her/his camera.

Ray
R
Ray
Oct 16, 2003
Oops… I did not see Chuck’s post.. sorry 🙂

Ray
MR
Mark_Reibman
Oct 16, 2003
Barbara,

I would post this issue on the dpreview’s canon forum. You’ll find a lot more S400 users there. I’m wondering if it is a Canon thing. I remember reading that Canon’s love blue. I took that to mean that they render it well, but sounds like your Canon loves it too much. Because I prefer a blue sky so much, I may not have noticed the misrepresentation with both of my digital Canons. And because I live in Seattle I’ll take the blue anytime, real or not. Looking at that beach shot, I couldn’t help feeling a little envy, especially as today is a gloomy Northwest day. 🙁
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 16, 2003
Hi, Barb. Not exactly that setting but the nearest equivalent doesn’t do too much either way.

Mark, yes, it is a nice place to live, especially this time of year when the summer hibernation is ending and you can stand to be outdoors all day long again.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 17, 2003
Thanks, jwh. The gradient is a good idea, I just wish I didn’t have to adjust the sky separately all the time.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Oct 17, 2003
Barbara,

Have you tried to set the white balance manually ?

Ray
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 17, 2003
Yes, Ray, thanks. Either it makes no difference or I get a cast on the rest of the photo then, and correcting it puts the sky back to reeaalllly blue again.
N
nuttin
Oct 17, 2003
I use a Canon A300 (cuz I can throw it in my purse) and it also gives me incredible blue-ness; which I like. Also, remember that with most digitals, blue is an issue. Anyhow, I just let the sky be blue and live with it.

wrote in message
I am having a weird problem with PE and the files from my Canon s400. When
I adjust levels to get a good color on an outdoor photo, the sky is always impossibly, ridiculously blue, like I was overusing a polarizing filter, or like some older books you see where the printer evidently believed there was no such thing as oversaturated color.
Does anyone know what I can do to fix this, outside of cutting out the sky
and adjusting that separately every time?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections