PA
Posted By
patrice_acer
Oct 15, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I try to use the crop tool, the marquee box is drawn, but the box seems constrained, I can’t seem to pull it all the way to the right. And the handles on the side are missing. In other words I cannot expand the box to the right or left by dragging that box. The only thing it allows me to do is to rotate the marquee box.

This is not how the crop tool used to work for me. What is happening? My daughter was using photoshop the other day, could it be possible that she changed something, maybe in the preferences that would cause this to happen? I would appreciate any input because this is very frustrating.

Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 15, 2003
patrice, select the Crop Tool and then look in the Option Bar. It sounds like there was a change made to crop to a Fixed Size and then dimensions were added. If you remove those, your tool will go back to acting like you expect it to.
JH
Jim_Hess
Oct 15, 2003
Your crop tool has probably been configured to crop to a specific size and/or a specific resolution. When you have selected to crop tool, there is a clear button near the top of your screen on the crop tool control toolbar. Click on that clear button and then you will be able to freely crop your photograph. That nice thing about the crop tool is that you can put in specific dimensions and designate a specific resolution and then you can be assured that your photograph will be cropped to that specification. But you need to clear those specifications in order to have full freedom when you are cropping your photographs.
PA
patrice_acer
Oct 15, 2003
Beth and Jim,

That did the trick, what a relief. Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this.

Have a great day,
Patrice
BG
Byron Gale
Mar 4, 2004
Mike,

It sounds like you may have values set in the Crop tool’s options bar, which is constraining it to a fixed aspect ratio.

Clear the Width, Height and Resolution fields if there are values there.

You can also click the Crop tool icon at the left of the Options bar, and select Reset Tool.

HTH,

Byron

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections