HS
Posted By
Hubert_Steed
Oct 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For the past couple of weeks for some unknown reason, I lose the regular tool icon images when editing a new photo and I get a faint dotted cross image. Every image I select in the tool box produces the cross icon.

Is this what is called a raster image tool icon?

It is difficult to edit photo images with a dotted cross when a cropping, brush, smudge, paint bucket, etc., tool image should appear on the photo being edited.

Then for some other unknown reason, the correct tool image comes back after shutting down PS Elements or repetative loading and reloading of photo images.

Is there a setting that controls the display of the tool in the tool box when I am editing photos?

Could a drawing driver be causing this problem?

I use PS Elements 2.0 with Windows XP Pro.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Oct 12, 2003
It could be several things.

When it happens check if you have the caps lock on as that causes the tool icons to change to a dotted cross image.

Another one to check is that your preferences are set to show the tool icons (Access this from the top left hand side of the screen via Photoshop Elements – Preferences – Display & Cursors).

If both these fail then you need to reset the preferences file … to do this (on a Mac … sorry I don’t know which keys you use on a PC) you need to close down Elements then hold down Alt/Apple & Shift just after you relaunch Elements.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 12, 2003
The key combo on XP would be Control, Alt, and Shift.
HS
Hubert_Steed
Oct 12, 2003
Wendy & Beth,

Thank you very much!

It is the Caps Lock key that causes the problem.

Now, how would I have ever known that if it weren’t for kind hearted souls such as you.
RP
Richard_Picard
Oct 13, 2003
While working with an image, I would like to deselect a tool after using it and return to the normal arrow cursor. It seems that once I select a too to use, that tool’s icon remains active until I select another tool. How can I deselct the active tool and return to the normal cursor arrow?

Rick P.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 13, 2003
You can’t deselect a tool in Elements, Rick. And, when you stop and think about it, there really isn’t any need, because you automatically get the cursor as soon as you move the mouse off the image anyway. If you’ve got the mouse on the image, you’re using a tool. Ergo, most of us just change to something that won’t do any damage if we accidentally use it – there was even a thread about this not long ago. Personally, I’m a "Marquee Parker". Others choose the little hand or the Zoom tool.
RC
Richard_Coencas
Oct 14, 2003
Rick,

There are also letter shortcuts for each tool. If you hold the mouse over a tool you will see an associated letter displayed in the tooltip. For instance, if you want to switch to the move tool, click "V", or "H" for the hand, or "M" for the marquee.

Rich
ML
Marty_Landolt
Oct 14, 2003
RICHARD P.
Oh hec, Richard, I can’t help but just wanted to know if you had a relative who went to Purdue. Your last name is not that common and so I wondered…..? Hope you get your problem solved.
Marty

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections