DW
Posted By
David_Wilken
Oct 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In a round about way I can get Nikon pictures into Elements. However, the video’s are saved in a *.mov Quicktime format and I have not been able to view a video in Elements. I don’t believe any other format is available within the camera. I would appreciate your help.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

KW
Kyle_White
Oct 12, 2003
Hi David,

While PSE can’t import video, Quicktime (or at least QT Pro) can export individual video frames as PICT files, which PSE can then open. The resulting image will be the same resolution as what the video provides. The largest example I have is 640×480 pixels.

HTH

Kyle
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 12, 2003
David, what happens when you go to File>Import>Import frame from video and then click the browse button? Are those files grayed out or do you just not see them?
DW
David_Wilken
Oct 13, 2003
Barbra,
File>Import>Import Frame will give me nothing but an error message. "The file is in an unsupported format". Which is *.mov. Naturally the error message says to check Windows Media Player for updates.

Kyle I will also check the PICT files.
Thanks,
TW
Tony_Weisse
Oct 13, 2003
David,

I have a Coolpix 2500 which saves in *.mov format. I can bring these into PSE using "File -> Import -> Frame from Video". However, when browsing I have to change the drop down on the file selector to include "All Files" or I don’t see the *.mov files.

When you open the file outside of PSE, what application starts up? I wonder if your file association for *.mov files is set to Windows Media Player instead of Quicktime? Not sure this would cause the problem you’re having, though.
PD
Pete_D
Oct 13, 2003
Barbara,

Glad you posted about importing clip from video. That is really cool to be able to look at any video file I have and "snatch" a picture from there. I had never looked at that before.

(Hope that tip helped David).

Pete
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 13, 2003
And thanks for reminding me, too, Barbara! I’d forgotten I could do that in PSE 2.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 13, 2003
Yeah, that’s somethng I never thought I’d use since I don’t have a video camera, but the little s400 makes great little quicktime movies. I was surprised at the quality. They’re a lot of fun to play with.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 13, 2003
My S30 does those, too, and you’re right – they are a lot of fun! It’s too bad the resolution is so low, though; I’ve accidentally gotten a couple of great shots. 🙁
R
RobertHJones
Oct 13, 2003
David,

I just now got around to reading this thread and I’m confused.

Are you saying that you are taking movies and can’t import a frame into Elements? Or, are you saying that the 3100 only makes movies?

The 3100 can take photos or movies. Only the movies are in quicktime format, the photos are saved in jpg format. I assume you know that, but your wording has me wondering.
RC
Richard_Coencas
Oct 13, 2003
Frame from Video utilizes the system codecs, so Quicktime files can’t be opened by the plug-in on Windows.

Rich
DW
David_Wilken
Oct 14, 2003
Robert,
First of all, lets assume I DON"T know what I am talking about. I have recorded a video with my Nikon 3100. Using the software that came with the Nikon I can view the video. Quicktime uses the *.mov format. In PSE the mov format is not recognized even under ‘view all files". Even the view frames won’t accept the .mov.
I appreciate your help
David
TW
Tony_Weisse
Oct 14, 2003
David,

Any luck with this problem yet? As noted above, I can do this without any problem with movies from my Nikon so I know that it is possible. In Nikon View the movie plays in Quicktime. In PSE this all happens in the plugin.

I can also open Windows Media Player and do a "File -> Open" to find the movie and play it in Media Player. Again, I had to change the file type to "All" (Microsoft doesn’t want to admit that there are other types of media files). Try this yourself. If you can’t run the movie in Media Player, then maybe you DO have to check for updates to it. My version of Windows Media Player is 8.00.00.47 running on Windows-XP.

I’m guessing that the plugin needs to "borrow" some component (Media Player) from the operating system (Windows) in order to play the movie. (Rich, is this what you mean?).

Tony

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections