WG
Posted By
Welles_Goodrich
Apr 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m working on a complex image with a layer set which needs to be near the top of the layer stack but also is linked to the background layer. In the set are 14 visible layers. I wish to have a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer with the same settings on the background layer and on all the layers of the linked set. Additionally I want the Hue/Saturation changes remain editable and not affect the layers in between. Is there a simpler way of doing that than applying an adjustment layer to each layer in the set?

Thank you!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JS
John_Slate
Apr 29, 2004
If the adjustment layer was the top layer in your set, wouldn’t that affect all the lower layers in the set?
P
PShock
Apr 29, 2004
I don’t see how you’re going to selectively apply a single adj. layer to a layer set, bypass a few layers and then have it affect a layer underneath those. I think your only option is start merging some layers – either create a new "combo" layer via stamp linked (to retain edit-ability should you need it) or a straight merge.

-phil
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Apr 29, 2004
If the adjustment layer was the top layer in your set, wouldn’t that affect all the lower layers in the set?

John,

Yes but it also affects all the layers below and I only want it to affect the layers in the set, and the background layer not the eight layers in between.

PShock,

I don’t see how either but I was hoping I could apply one adjustment layer to the set and one to the background layer. I guess I’ll just have to do it manually, adding an adjustment layer to each. At this point in the project I can’t merge the layers though the link copying a ‘combo’ layer isn’t a bad work around.

The only other thing I can think of at this time is to mask the Hue/Sat layer to block the effects on the visible elements of the layers between the Set and background layer. That will only take a couple of moments. Maybe I was making this too complex.

I’m not sure what you meant by "stamp linked." Could you explain, please?
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 29, 2004
"Yes but it also affects all the layers below and I only want it to affect the layers in the set, and the background layer not the eight layers in between."

Change your Layer Set blend mode from Pass Through to Normal.

Then you CAN "apply one adjustment layer to the set and one to the background layer."
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Apr 29, 2004
Hah! Fabulous! That did the trick all right. Thanks Doug. When I researched PS CS help, I missed that tip. Maybe it’s time for a new CS Bible.

Welles
P
PShock
Apr 29, 2004
Doug saves the day!

Note however, that if the layer set is filled with layers using optioinal blending modes, changing the Layer Set from Pass-Through to Normal will change the appearance. No clue where the idea came from but I was thinking that was the case. Yep, we often make things harder than they actually are!

-phil
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Apr 29, 2004
That was the only function of the Pass Through mode of which I was aware as I have had actually used sets with multiple blend modes on several occasions since getting CS. There are still hidden surprises which keep popping up.

Thanks for your thoughtful response, Phil.

W
C
CouponBoy
May 2, 2004
The other option would be to make a mask on your adjustment layer to only affect the "visible" portions of the image it should affect. Then that layer could be almost anywhere in your stack. Obviously masking by hand or by selections might take some time depending on complexity of the file.
Chris
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 2, 2004
Chris,

Absolutely right! I had come to that conclusion too (and mentioned it rather obscurely in post three of this thread) but I was glad Doug added in the solution for which I was searching. In the image I was working on at the time of my original post, making a mask was a simple issue of Command + clicking, Command + Option + clicking, and Command + Shift + clicking on a bunch of layers in the layers palette to load, add, and subtract the individual layer masks.

Thanks for your thought.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections