Posted By
stols_sander
May 13, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all,
I have used the J2K plug-in (by fnord <www.fnordware.com> v1.1 13 Jan 2003) for over a year now. Only a few days ago I discovered that CS2 (and perhaps earlier versions also) has it’s own plug-in (JPF files). They have a lot in common but there are differences also. Exactly which: I don’t know.

For archival purposes I routinely compress very large TIF files with the fnord plug-in into J2K files with sizes about 45 MB (yes!). To my confusion the PS plug-in cannot read them: "you need more RAM" is the message. Largest J2K file that is read successfully is about 17 MB. I have WinXP pro with 1 GB RAM.

On the other hand JPF’s of 45 MB can be made and read without problems.

My 4 questions are:
Will more RAM really help reading the large J2K files?
Or shall I switch completely to the PS plug-in and stop using fnord? If I switch, what should I do with the 1000-odd 45 MB J2K files I have backed-up on DVD? And finally: is the PS plug-in better, as good as, or worse than the fnord plug-in?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 13, 2005
Why don’t you try using the CS2 plugin and find out?
SS
stols_sander
May 13, 2005
Didn’t I say that I tried the CS2 plug-in? Where I wrote PS I meant CS2. I did: that’s where my questions come from.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections