N
Posted By
ninjasavant
Jul 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A couple of things may be affecting this. First, are you using a laptop? Laptop screens don’t show reliable color. Lets assume that you are not and are using a desktop with a monitor. You should check your color settings in this instance. First do it with photoshop, then run whatever software comes with your graphics card to calibrate your monitor and ensure everything is set as it should be. It could also be that your monitor may be old or generic and not capable of consistent color display. Barring that, realize that no matter what, RGB (monitor display) has a different color space than CMYK (how photos are printed). RGB actually has more colors available. To make sure this doesn’t happen again, I suggest printing proofs yourself on your printer at home to get an idea of what the pic will look like.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
contactcp
Jul 26, 2003
I had some pictures taken with my digital camera that had red eyes, so I edited them in Photoshop to get rid of them.

Everything worked well and the pictures looked fine on screen. I saved all the photos to a CD and sent them to be developed. When I got them back all of the photos that I had edited had a sort of red/pink fade to them. It wasn’t too bad but it certainly ruined the quality of the picture.

What could have gone wrong?
What are the main things I need to remember when bringing photos into Photoshop and then when saving?

Many thanks
CP
P
primitivedogs
Jul 26, 2003
NINJASAVANT,
Photos are not printed CMYK; either inkjet or photographic. When printing on photographic paper,(using a photographic process with chemicals and such)the paper is exposed to cyan, magenta and yellow light, which are the opposite of red, green, blue. This is the RGB color space; to get cyan, magenta and yellow from a computer you use RGB. Inkjet printers interpret the information and convert it to CMYK but they are using RGB, not CMYK; the results will change depending on the printer, the monitor profile or the different types of paper. If they printed them using the photographic process it could depend on the chemicals (depleted chemicals will effect the color), but mostly it will depend on the monitor profile.

CMYK is used for offset printing not inkjet printing. CMYK is for printers so that they can match up the exact colors for posters or bookcovers and such in large (or small) batches. With CMYK you would get more exact colors because they would have numerical values for each color and different batches would look the same, (or similar). This is not practical for photos you took for a photo album or for personal use.

Contactcp,
I’m guessing that these were printed on photographic paper and not inkjet paper. If you don’t like them take them back and tell them to print them better. They can get rid of the pink/red cast in the program they printed from.
AO
Anguished_Oink
Jul 26, 2003
Colour is dependant on the colour profile of the printer that printed them. Your lab should be able to help you to calibrate your monitor so WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet (well, it should be pretty close).

"contactcp" wrote in message
I had some pictures taken with my digital camera that had red eyes, so I
edited them in Photoshop to get rid of them.
Everything worked well and the pictures looked fine on screen. I saved all
the photos to a CD and sent them to be developed. When I got them back all of the photos that I had edited had a sort of red/pink fade to them. It wasn’t too bad but it certainly ruined the quality of the picture.
What could have gone wrong?
What are the main things I need to remember when bringing photos into
Photoshop and then when saving?
Many thanks
CP
L
Lundberg02
Jul 27, 2003
Michael, you’d better reconsider your post
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 27, 2003
And a silence falls over the room like a thick fog as the Gunslinger’s hand moved toward his six-shooter….
P
primitivedogs
Jul 27, 2003
nope.
DM
dave milbut
Jul 27, 2003
…. a tumbleweed rolls by in the deserted street while the Gunslingers stare each other up and down.
P
primitivedogs
Jul 27, 2003
Take a shot if you want.

All I’m trying to say is that the software handles the conversion on inkjets; offset printing seperates the colors.
I don’t convert to CMYK when I send a file spooling to my printer.

If the photos are the wrong color, they’re wrong. They should do them over. Give em a sample to match.

bang!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections