ML
Posted By
Marty_Landolt
Oct 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just took a jaunt over to PSA forum and find that PSA 2 is now available. They say the upgrade is $25 but I haven’t found out how to order it. RAY, you might know about this and so far would you say it’s worth the money. That darn forum is obsessed with complaining.
Marty

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

ML
Marty_Landolt
Oct 10, 2003
JOE,
Thanks for the quick comeback. I went to the link and noticed that I can get the CD for another $10. I could give it to my daughter when version 3 comes out. I haven’t bought any software without a CD.
Sometimes when there’s a problem I’m told to uninstall and reinstall so what do I do without the CD?
Confused Marty
R
Ray
Oct 10, 2003
Hi Marty,

The install / uninstall is not really an issue. What you receive is an auto-executable zip file. Once you run it, it will create a temporary folder on your hard drive. This folder will contain the
exact same files found on the CD. So, what you can do, is to burn this file onto a CD, and put a copy of the e-mail you’ll receive (in TXT format) on the CD as well (no more "lost the serial"). By
the way, back up your catalogs before installing PSA2, just in case. And don’t uninstall PSA1, PSA2
will do this for you.

As far as how much the upgrade is worth it… it depends on what kind of problems you had before. I
couldn’t burn VideoCD (bad quality). Got fixed. Moving files from my hard drive to a CD (DVD) wasn’t reliable. Now it seems to be. Applying the same caption on multiple pictures is also a nice
feature.

There are dozens of other new feature, small or big, like the possibility to view picture by their location, create a tag based on the folder name, etc.

I’d say for 25$, it’s really worth it!

Ray
R
Ray
Oct 10, 2003
That darn forum is obsessed with complaining.

Jim Jütte and I are trying to help as much as we can, but there are several individuals on a war path against Adobe. And the sad part is that some regulars don’t help neither. They just throw more oil on the fire… !

Marty, give it a few days more (my estimate is that by next Tuesday, things should have settle down). It took a whole week for Photoshop forum to purge the madness of the Photoshop CS Activation… (a fairly simple way to protect a software against piracy, btw).

Ray
ML
Marty_Landolt
Oct 10, 2003
JOE and RAY,
Yes, it will be worth it to me. I think PSA is the best thing that ever happened to computer photo hobiest (next to Elements, of course)
Thanks, I’ll download it after I copy my catalogs.
Marty
R
Ray
Oct 10, 2003
I think PSA is the best thing that ever happened to computer photo hobiest (next to Elements, of
course)

I’m 100% with you on that statement Marty! PSA is really a fantastic piece of software! And wait untill you start to burn things on CD / DVD.. All kind of small messages to let you know what’s happening, very cool!

Ray
ML
Marty_Landolt
Oct 11, 2003
RAY, I don’t mean to back you in a corner. Now I’m stuck with my Roxio CD Creator. I can burn a disk and back up until it stops and says one or more files are too large. I can’t find under help or in my User book just how big files can be.
Marty
R
Ray
Oct 11, 2003
Marty,

I only tried a small number of files, but big ones (my camera raw files, 8Mb each). I didn’t encounter that problem. Is this error hapening in PSA or Roxio ?

Ray
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 11, 2003
Marty,

The size limit for files are:
* 650 MB for a 74 minute CD
* 700 MB for a 80 minute CD

So this means that the combined size of all files you wish to put on one CD cannot excede the above size restrictions (imposed by the capacity of the CD).

One can burn multiple CDs of course, if they have a lot of data to burn.
AM
Al_Millstein
Oct 11, 2003
"PSA is really a fantastic piece of software!" has aroused my curiosity. What the heck is it? I went to Google to find out, and got things like "Professional Sports Authenticator"

Al
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 11, 2003
That would be, in this case, Photoshop Album. It’s designed for organizing images. They’ve got a couple of very basic editing features attached to it, but it’s definitely just a complement to Elements. I can’t remember, Al, are you Win or Mac? Album is Win only, and it probably covers a lot of the territory that iPhoto covers for Mac users. I don’t happen to use either, but that’s just ’cause I resist following the crowd. 🙂
ML
Marty_Landolt
Oct 12, 2003
RAY,
The oversize file error happens in ROXIO.
NANCY,
This message "file(s) to large" means one or more individual files. The disks I used holds 700 and Roxio lets me add until I have that many or less. AL,
PSA has just put out their second version and it should correct some of the problems of the first version. It seems to have a completely different approach to organizing photos (slides and movies). Like any "organizing" project the initial work seems to be well worth the effort.
Marty
R
Ray
Oct 12, 2003
Marty,

I’ve never had error messages in Roxio. And since Windows XP came out, with builtin burner capabilities, I’ve Roxio less and less. Have you checked their help website?

Ray
JE
Jody_Ellis
Oct 14, 2003
Ray,
I’m with Marty…I got out of the PSA forum because of the ‘obsession’. But, given that, what I’d really like to know is what exactly are the differences in the old and new version? Nobody seems to be addressing it.
J.
ML
Marty_Landolt
Oct 14, 2003
JODI E,
I thing Ray or someone gave a short run down on the improvements and they sounded worth the money. One thing was that you can make your own categories. Another was faster searches.
RAY,
I guess I’ll have to wait a while to get the PSA 2. The computer repair man is coming to find out what is wrong with my CD-RW drive/burner.
Marty
R
Ray
Oct 14, 2003
Marty,

So far, what’s more fun is the faster image display (in the center). Tags that can be created at the root. Greeting cards. Calendar view got a good kick. VideoCD (VCD) is now fully functionning (very nice quality for no-music / no-transition slideshows). View by folder name has been added.

What’s bugging me is : floating properties pane, no predefined stops in the thumbnail slider (so it keeps adjusting the picture has you move it around, very annoying!). You can’t resize the Tags pane, so if you with the 3 levels and happen to have long tag names, then.. they can’t be viewed on the screen (French words are usually longer, so guess what… I’m missing a few tags here and there,
I only see their icons). The scrolling is slower, but that could be because I have files of 30Mb (big TIFF).

That’s about it.

Ray

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections