L
Posted By
LRK
Apr 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Camera RAW is awesome and so is the ability to correct in 16-bit.

Seems also like the Histogram looks different in RAW than in PSCS, before any PS changes are made. I wonder if this true or if I am misreading the two different kinds of histograms.

I’d like to generate discussion on how much correction others prefer to do in RAW vs or plus PSCS, and which mode you prefer for which corrections, etc.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RS
Rick_Stare
Apr 28, 2004
I do some correction in the RAW dialog. Generally just using the Exposure and Shadow sliders to set the highlight and shadow points fairly close to what I want, but I like to leave some breathing room, so I don’t go too close to 255 or 0. It is nice that the Histogram in RAW does a nice job of showing when highlight or shadow are clipped (line runs up the vertical axis at 0 or 255). If needed, I might adjust the Color Temp, and occasionally I adjust Contrast for images where the camera has really compressed the tonal range.

Once in CS in 16-bit, I always do at least Levels and Curves adjustment layers before converting to 8-bit. Anything that stretches the tonal range I like to do in 16-bit, so even a Saturation bump might be good to do in 16-bit (although I have found that bumping up the Saturation in 8-bit has a nice effect of filing in any remaining "comb" effect in the Histogram).

The Adjustment Layers in 16-bit REALLY inflate the file size, so I don’t save the 16-bit version. I always can get back to it from the original if needed.
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 28, 2004
In line with what Chris Cox, Bruce Fraser, and others have taught on this forum, I do EVERYTHING I CAN in the RAW dialog, and then EVERYTHING I CAN in 16-bit mode once I’ve brought the RAW image into the PSCS window.

I’m still speechless – after dozens of projects – at how much can be done to a 16-bit image in PSCS without compromising quality, edges, tone, color, etc. Of those dozens, I’ve been able to do three or four COMPLETELY in 16-bit without EVER converting to 8-bit until the pass off to my service bureau. Amazing.
R
Ram
Apr 28, 2004
For whatever it’s worth, I have been following the exact procedure in RAW that Doug Katz outlines, and now that I have CS will also do everything possible in 16 bit before printing.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 28, 2004
Linda:

Check this one out — it could be just what you are looking for:

<< Dr. Brown’s Image Processor

Dr. Brown’s Image Processor is a java script utility that can only be used with Adobe Photoshop CS. It is designed for photographers and designers who need to process large numbers of images, quickly and efficiently. >>

<http://www.russellbrown.com/body.html>
P
PShock
Apr 28, 2004
Excellent tip, Ann! I’ve been using Dr. Brown’s Image Processor for several months now – it’s awesome! I can’t beleive he doesn’t charge for it. (Not to mention a free Quicktime tutorial!)

-phil
L
LRK
Apr 28, 2004
Good feedback people!

Rick,

You have helped me tremendously. I’ve been using your entire technique for the past two hours on some images I shot at the mall today.

Thanks very much!

Ann,

I just got through listening to the main part of Russell’s tutorial on his java script. How cool is that! He’s a riot, isn’t he! Did you know that every year at Photoshop World he donates software and other goodies the last day to give as prizes?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 28, 2004
That last bit sounds like a well-baited hook to haul me down to Florida again in September?!

;~O
L
LRK
Apr 28, 2004
Yes!!! 🙂
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 28, 2004
I would need juicier bait … like Key Lime Pie.
L
LRK
Apr 28, 2004
You got that too!

Bahama Breezes = Good food and Key Lime Pie!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 29, 2004
The bait gets juicier……
L
LRK
Apr 29, 2004
Cool… 🙂
You mean I might actually get to meet Ann!!!!!!!

September is going to be an awesome month!!
L
LRK
Apr 29, 2004
I’m working on her Bonnie. I might need some extra help though. 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections