DJ
Posted By
dan_joyce
May 12, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m having some major problems with PS CS2 and using the keyboard. Sometimes I hit the ALT key to use the menus from the keyboard and sometimes it selects the little drop down from teh upper left of the image window, not the program. I have to click around a while, then it works again – for a while.

Then, when it does open up the menus, somehow it deselects my working image not allowing me to use most of the menus. For example, maybe I’ll try to rotate an image using ALT -> I -> E, but When I get the Image menu, everything is grayed out. WHat gives?

I don’t understand what is wrong. Is windows bugging on me? Is my keyboard bad, or is PS buggy?

Dan J.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
Don_McCahill
May 12, 2005
maybe I’ll try to rotate an image using ALT -> I -> E, but When I get the Image menu, everything is grayed out. WHat gives?

It is probable that when you are hitting the Alt I E, you are clicking away from selected item. Thus it is not selected, and that is why it cannot be transformed.
DJ
dan_joyce
May 12, 2005
Good idea, but it’s not what’s going on. I’ve been using PS forever with no problems until I just installed CS2. Any other ideas? No one else is having this trouble?

Plus, if I was selected off the image, it would not open up the image CLose, move, minimize, maximize menu. It would open up the program menus. I’m quite sure the problems are related.
C
chrisjbirchall
May 12, 2005
Dan. The "Alt" shortcuts are not entirely lost in CS2. Just that they seem to react differently to your keystrokes.

In CS you were able to hit Alt (which would activate the underlines on the top menu) then I (which would open the image dialogue) then E for the rotate command.

In CS2 you have to hold Alt whilst hitting I otherwise the menu will open with greyed out options (intermittently).

There may be a reason for this change, or it may be a bug. Perhaps Chris Cox will drop by an give an opinion.

Chris.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
May 12, 2005
Related to this perhaps is the loss of access to non-underscored menu items by simply selecting the first letter of the item name, repeating if needed to step to other menu items with the same first letter.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections