RP
Posted By
Russell_Proulx
May 12, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is it possible to perform a ‘search and replace’ on image Metadata? I see that Bridge offers a ‘search’ feature. But is there a way to batch alter the searched Metadata?

I’d like to seach image description tags for words like "inch" and change them to "pouce" or "in. " with "po. " (French abbreviation).

Might be a useful feature if Photoshop or Bridge are currently unable to do this.

Russell

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
chrisjbirchall
May 12, 2005
Firstly you’re in the wrong forum.

But whilst you’re here – yes you can. Just select all the files you want to change; Any alterations you make to the metadata will be applied to all the files.

Chris.
RP
Russell_Proulx
May 12, 2005
Any alterations you make to the metadata will be applied to all the files.

Chris,

I’m pretty sure that Bridge cannot do what I need which is why I posted the question here. I’m hoping that some other PS user has been faced with a similar chore and found a way to do it – either using PS or via a 3d party app.

Yes, Bridge can batch replace all metadata of one type with new data. But afaik it cannot selectively replace one word in a description and leave the rest of the words in the description intact:

ie:

replace

12 x 15" gelatin silver print

with

12 x 15 po. épreuve à la gélatine argentique

where ( po. ) replaces (" )
and (épreuve à la gélatine argentique) replaces (gelatin silver print)

while leaving (12 x 15) intact.

Since one can add and modify Metadata info using PS I think it’s a fair question to ask in a Photoshop forum.

Russell
MM
Mick_Murphy
May 12, 2005
If you are talking about replacing words in the File Info Description field or other File Info fields, then this could be done with PS scripting.
C
chrisjbirchall
May 12, 2005
Since one can add and modify Metadata info using PS I think it’s a fair question to ask in a Photoshop forum.

Russell. what I meant by my opening remark was that as Metadata is altered in Bridge not Photoshop, your question might get a better hearing in the Adobe Bridge Forum.

As for search & replace: I agree. That would be a very handy feature.

I think this could possibly be accomplished by scripting. But that’s yet another different forum! (I’m not really trying to get rid of you – Honest! <grin>)

Chris.
RP
Russell_Proulx
May 12, 2005
(I’m not really trying to get rid of you – Honest! <grin>

That’s the big problem with the web. We can never ‘see’ the person behind the words. It’s off to ‘Photoshop Scripting School’ for me 🙂

Thank you Mick for the road sign.

Though… I did kind o’ hope someone would steer me to some $15 shareware utility that was already built and flying <nudge nudge wink wink>

As for search & replace: I agree. That would be a very handy feature.

I figure some enterprising soul might look forward to at least one year of sales before Adobe incorporates this into the next release..

Seriously though, I manage a number of websites for fine artists and the workflow advantages of custom image metadata + Bridge + PS’s Web Photo Gallery + Dreamweaver is a quick and easy time saver.

Russell 🙂
MM
Mick_Murphy
May 13, 2005
Russell
It would be simple to write a Photoshop script (I’ve not had time to even look at Bridge scripting yet) to replace a string in a particular File Info field with another string. It would be somewhat more time consuming to create a robust app with a proper UI which would allow the user to replace strings in any File Info field. I might try this for fun but I don’t know if I will have time. I doubt that there would be any great demand for a utility like this.

There may well be something like this already out there of course – there are all sorts of utilities for managing image metadata. I don’t know.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections