BB
Posted By
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Not as cute as Ray’s friend the squirrel, but I feel pretty proud that I was able to get the shot at all, working one-handed and with no way to preview it at all.

<http://members.aol.com/bkbrun/friend.jpg>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
bethC
Oct 9, 2003
Wow Barbara – that is a beautiful picture!

beth
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 9, 2003
Oh my goodness, Barbara, it’s lovely! I guess that must be your hard, huh?! 🙂
PD
Pete_D
Oct 9, 2003
Good one Barbara. Excellent for a hand held shot.

This guy has a piece out of the wing at the bottom similar to the one we used in a challange a while back. Guess those wings are probably pretty hard to keep in perfect condition.

Pete
R
Ray
Oct 9, 2003
Not as cute… are you kidding? 🙂

Squirrels are pretty easy to catch on film (at least, in the cities, where they are "domesticated",
in some way). It’s very nice!

Ray
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 9, 2003
Thanks, Ray

Good eye, Pete. Here he is in the sun where you can really see the shape of his wings.

<http://members.aol.com/bkbrun/wing.jpg>
PD
Pete_D
Oct 9, 2003
Yeah, he flew too close to something. Or maybe sat on a hot ember:)

Another clear shot! Now we know the first one was not just luck 🙂

Pete
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 9, 2003
Barbara, that’s a butterfly not seen anywhere in the US but southern Florida and extreme south Texas: it’s called the Malachite (Siproeta stelenes) and it’s described in Kaufman’s Butterflies of North America as "large, green and spectacular", "unmistakable", and "a feast for the eyes." Thanks for sharing it with us!
CS
carl_sutherland
Oct 9, 2003
Hi Barbara,

When do you get a chance to take gorgeous pictures like this when you are at the key board helping us so much?

Carl
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 9, 2003
Barb,

Nice shot! I tried to take some "bug" shots today (we’re being over run by Harmonia axyridis -Asian lady beatles) but I can’t get a decent close up with my DC290. What kind of camera are you using?

Joe
I
imacgirl
Oct 9, 2003
Barbara, two beautiful shots! Fabulous colors. You must have some secret for attracting these creatures; the Monarchs I’ve been after lately don’t pose for long. Looks like you’re enjoying the new camera. I’ll look forward to seeing more of your work.
Barb
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 9, 2003
imac Barb,

I really liked the images you posted in that other thread as well. I just wish I could take great photos like you Barbs do! 😉

Joe
I
imacgirl
Oct 9, 2003
Joe, thanks. Grab your camera and head out bug huntin’…it’s loads of fun! 🙂

Barb
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 9, 2003
Thanks, everyone.

Joe, it’s a Canon s400.

Barb, I’m having a terrible time getting used to it. Lost so many great shots because I don’t understand the way it thinks.

For butterflies, around here (and I would think it would be the same in TX) they are slower at midday, especially right after a rain.
I
imacgirl
Oct 9, 2003
Barbara, well you did a fine job of capturing those. I know the frustration of missing the shot you really wanted. Inevitably the camera batteries decide to quit or the card is written to so slowly when shooting TIFF’s, the next shot gets away. Things I’m getting used to…

Thanks for the tip on butterflies…I was out at dusk and they were all scattering.

Barb
F
franjo
Oct 9, 2003
Hi Barb

Just wanted to add to all the well deserved praise…beautiful shots.

fran
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 9, 2003
Thanks, Fran.

the camera batteries decide to quit or the card is written to so slowly

Barb, I must say I don’t have either problem with the canon, really. Batteries last pretty nearly a 256 MB card when shooting continuously, although the camera body does get uncomfortably hot. (Makes me think of the 12" powerbook, actually.)

Disk writing is pretty good, too. On my camera I can reduce the amount of preview time for the display of an image and that keeps me going faster.

No, unfortunately, my problem is that I’m just lousy at dealing with cameras that think for themselves. I almost always wind up with the focus sharp as a tack, but focused on the twig across the foreground or the grass in the background or whatever. Or I think I’m shooting in macro mode, but somehow I’ve gone to inifinity mode, yada yada.

My other problem is that I have a very hard time framing shots with this camera. I’ve never had trouble with this with my old camera, but now I have a whole gallery of almost-good photos with the edges of the subject cut off. Pooh.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 9, 2003
Barbara, that is absolutely wonderful ! Did you know if a butterfly/moth lands on you it means you will be going through a transformation soon ? It’s generally one of goodness that comes in many different forms. Perhaps your job will lead you in a direction that will open new and exciting doors or it could just mean a wonderful new friend will enter your life…could be anything but it’s a good thing. From the book of animal spirit guides of Native Americans.
JD
Juergen_D
Oct 9, 2003
My other problem is that I have a very hard time framing shots with this
camera.

Barbara,

Are you using the optical view finder? My experience with it is that the image turns out to be larger than what I see in the view finder. I consider this an advantage because I like to have the extra space for cropping.

Juergen
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Oct 9, 2003
Wow, you’re so lucky! Great shot!
I
imacgirl
Oct 9, 2003
Barbara, I know that "warm" camera feel too. My batteries also last about one 256 card, but they often run down when a shot’s about to vanish. I have four sets now, two charging units and three 256 cards. This camera stuff really starts addin’ up fast, still can’t figure out what photo printer to get. About framing the subject, when shooting Macro, the LCD should be used to compose the image, the viewfinder cannot be used because of parallax (the apparent displacement of an object as seen from two different points that are not on a line with the subject).

Barb
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 9, 2003
Barb and Juergen–yes, I do use the LCD, but still I find that things get cut off all the time. 🙁
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 9, 2003
Barbara, I’m sure you know this, but you really have to use the LCD for the macro shots – the parallax error created by using the viewfinder for close-ups will almost surely push image off center on the sensor with respect to what you see in the viewfinder.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 9, 2003
Hi, Chuck. Yes, that’s what I was saying–even though I do, the image still doesn’t exactly correspond. Annoying when I’m trying to shoot macros, since I don’t dare get close to the subject for fear of truncating it.

Jodi, you know it’s funny about butterflies. When I lived in Ft. Lauderdale I used to take all my out of town vistors to Butterfly World, and they always either thought it was magical or they were totally creeped out by it.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 9, 2003
Barbara, I had a few experiences like that, then decided that a 4 megapixel camera has enough pixels to sustain a moderate amount of cropping and still yield a good print; I leave a little sacrificial border around the picture to ensure that I don’t lose some important content.
CS
carl_sutherland
Oct 9, 2003
Chuck,

I’m sure glad to hear you say that-leave a little border that is. I normally do that to be sure I have the whole picture I want. I received what I perceived as criticism a while back for saying I cropped most pictures. I should compose the picture with the camera I remember being told. Maybe I am just being too sensitive. Its that pea under the mattress that’s causing all the problems I guess.

Carl
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 9, 2003
Carl, it’s definitely been trial-and-error, and nearly full circle, for me. First, I decided that since I could crop with Elements, the composition didn’t matter – but then I found that if you cropped too much, there weren’t enough pixels left over to make a decent print. Then, I went to the other extreme and filled the frame with image – then learned that if I cropped to meet a standard size (4×6, 8×10, etc.) I had to sacrifice part of the image. Finally, I learned that a little bit of extra as a border is the best compromise. So that’s what I do….unless I forget…because of lack of sleep because of that pea under the mattress…

🙂
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 10, 2003
Hi Barbara, Your pictures are wonderful! I much prefer butterflys to squirrels, but all the pictures are neat.
I lived in Ft. Lauderdale all thru my high school years, on our family’s boat in Bahia Mar. Great place! My brother and I had some wonderful times there. However my parents would rather have stayed in the Keys.
I do have pictures of those times, just have to find them, they are here,,,,,somewhere. Great memories, great place. The birds and wildlife we saw going back and forth on the Inland Waterway back then was wonderful. Thanks for jogging my memory, will have to start to unpack the boxes of family pictures this year.
Jane
ML
Marty_Landolt
Oct 10, 2003
BARBARA B,
What a pretty butterfly but then I think they are all good looking. It’s your photo sense that makes this one special.
I miss my old Nikon camera with the telephoto and close up lenses. I never did get new ones for my new camera and have none for this little digital. Hope soon to change all that!
Marty
DH
Dave Hamer
Oct 10, 2003
Barbara

Exquisite, thanx for sharing.

Dave
LM
Lou_M
Oct 11, 2003
Great pictures, Barbara. You’re good at getting them to pose.

Ladybugs are suddenly a big issue here. They’re in the kitchen and the car, and I must’ve eaten a few dozen on my bike ride the other day! They must be hibernating for the winter or something.
RL
Richard_L_Hanlon
Oct 11, 2003
Here’s a tip I learned for taking bug pictures, but you have to be careful with them so you don’t hurt the bug (unless you really want to do so after you’re done).

Catch the bug (be it a butterfly or ladybug or whatever) and set it in a glass jar in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes. Bugs are cold blooded, and so they slow down considerably as the temp drops. Don’t freeze them, just make it cool enough that they move slowly. Then set them on whatever you want to shoot against and they will slowly warm back up and scurry away uninjured.

Bugs with wings, like butterflies, will open their wings wide if there’s sunshine to warm up quickly. This works will for you the photographer.

As always, but respectful of life, (especially if it bites or stings) but you can get your shot and do no harm. Everyone’s happy.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections