MW
Posted By
Matthew_Wilder
May 11, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK, I have been scouring the message boards and I cannot seem to find a solution to my severely mind-numbing problem. One of the computers in our office is displaying images (RGB and CMYK) in Photoshop 6 with horribly incorrect colors.

Opening these image files in MS Paint or Photo editor or internet explorer, or inserting them into autocad as raster images they look fine. When we print from Photshop they look fine, but in Photoshop ONLY they look incorrect on screen. Everything else on this computer looks right, it’s only Photoshop that is giving us bad color rendering.

I have check the settings of the machine against other machines that show and print the images correctly and I cannot seem to find any differences.

This is driving me batty because we cannot use this machine to create images in Photoshop and expect to get anything close when printing.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Matt

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
Jim
May 11, 2005
wrote in message
OK, I have been scouring the message boards and I cannot seem to find a
solution to my severely mind-numbing problem. One of the computers in our office is displaying images (RGB and CMYK) in Photoshop 6 with horribly incorrect colors.
Opening these image files in MS Paint or Photo editor or internet
explorer, or inserting them into autocad as raster images they look fine. When we print from Photshop they look fine, but in Photoshop ONLY they look incorrect on screen. Everything else on this computer looks right, it’s only Photoshop that is giving us bad color rendering.
I have check the settings of the machine against other machines that show
and print the images correctly and I cannot seem to find any differences. Have you checked to monitor profile?
Jim
CC
Chris_Cox
May 11, 2005
See the FAQ – your display profile is bad.
MW
Matthew_Wilder
May 11, 2005
If you are referring to utlizing the Adobe Gamma to fix it…I tried that. No luck. I can try again, and it makes sense that it should work, but I got no improvement from it.

Matt
CC
Chris_Cox
May 11, 2005
Then try again – the problem IS your color settings or your display profile, and since you say you checked the color settings – that only leaves the display profile.
DM
David_M_Jacobson
May 12, 2005
I’m having a very similar problem. For years I used Photoshop (currently 7.0.1) have been very happen. But a few days ago I installed Nikon Capture. When I clicked the "transfer to Photoshop" button, the image there was horribly yellow and somewhat reduced in saturation. Even worse, now all images I bring up in Photoshop have a yellow cast.

Here’s the data: Dell Dimension XPS T700p computer, 768 MB memory, Window 98 SE, Photoshop 7.0.1, Nikon Capture 4.2.1, Viewsonic PF790 monitor, ColorVision monitor calibrator.

I’ve tried everything I can think of. I’ve searched Photoshop for some setting that might affect this. I uninstalled Nikon Capture. I recalibrated the monitor, I reinstalled the ColorVision calibrator software and recalibrated the monitor.

Here are some other tidbits: Images look okay in Netscape and Firefox. But the most interesting thing is the Kodak Imaging for Windows application. It gives me the choice of a monitor profile and a rendering intent. The choices are Absolute Colorimetric, Relative Colorimetric, Saturation, and Perceptual. The image comes up looking fine, and the intent box reads perceptual. No matter what I select, even if it I leave it on perceptual (!), and click OK or Apply, the image turns yellow, like the Photoshop display.

So, I have to disagree with those people who are acting like this some obvious thing that you just fix. I’m kind of a color managment freak, and I can’t figure out what it is.

I never had a problem until I installed Nikon Capture. I submetted a help request to Nikon’s support site, and got back an answer that said "Have you considered upgrading Photoshop?" and, paraphraseing, "If you are having a problem with color in Photoshop, that is Adobe’s problem."

So, anyway, have you installed Nikon Capture recently?
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 12, 2005
Dear Nikon:

If, in years past, negatives exposed in your cameras could not, for whatever reason, be printed properly and reliably in a Beseler or Leitz enlarger, you would have moved heaven and earth to fix the problem and ensure your negatives’ compatibility with the prevailing method for professionals and serious amateurs to turn negatives into pictures. Similarly, if slide film exposed in your cameras would not project properly in Kodak Carousel projectors, you would have done whatever was needed to fix the problem and ensure that your slides were compatible with the predominant slide projector.

Earth to Nikon: The darkroom and the slide projector are not very useful to digital photographers. When you sell a digital camera oriented toward professional and serious amateur photographers, you need to account for the fact that the overwhelming majority of these users will be processing their digital film, so to speak, in Photoshop. It’s the digital darkroom of today. It’s the way slides get into Powerpoint. You need to make your cameras and scanners work flawlessly with Photoshop if you want to sell cameras and scanners to serious photographers. Period. Feel free to develop your own software that is an adjunct to Photoshop, an alternative to Photoshop, or whatever, but don’t tell your customers that a problem of compatibility between your cameras/software and Photoshop is Adobe’s problem. It will be your problem when users migrate to other camera platforms when yours isn’t compatible with the digital "darkroom".
CC
Chris_Cox
May 13, 2005
David – that still sounds like the display profile is out of whack.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections