R
Posted By
Ram
Apr 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It has only been a couple of hours since I installed Photoshop 8, but so far its speed has simply blown me away. It’s much faster than 7.0.1 on this Dual 1.25MHz G4 with 2GB of RAM, amazingly so. I’m posting this in the light of the frustration that some have reported with speed issues in 8. Also, it will give me an opportunity to report on any subsequent loss of speed, if any, and try to relate it to setup issues.

Thanks, Adobe!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 27, 2004
That black pussy-cat is purring for you now?
R
Ram
Apr 27, 2004
I don’t know about the cat, Ann, but Photoshop 8 is sure making me happy.

Actually, I’m adapting to Panther, like I knew I would, eventually.

I’m still waiting for FAP to support Classic. I have it installed in Panther but the applications don’t see the fonts on Classic. I emailed tech support, and they said Classic support is coming “real soon now”. They offered me a beta version, but I’m too new to Panther to beta test anything in it yet.
T
Todie
Apr 27, 2004
I’d bet money that "they" want your expertise (as is) for beta-testing.
R
Ram
Apr 27, 2004
Todie,

Back then when Suitcase was essentially a one-man operation, I was one of Steve Brecher’s early beta testers; but the situation was vastly different then. For one, I was thoroughly familiar with the Mac operating system of the time, and, for another one, Steve had just began to experiment with WYSIWYG font menus and there were not many users using Cyrillic fonts at the time who could give him feedback on the resulting mess. I did find some pretty nasty bugs at the time, which Steve always fixed with lightning speed. FedEx was at my door daily.

Now, if something went wrong, I would not be in a position to blame it either on FAP or Panther. Useless for beta testing.
R
Ram
Apr 27, 2004
Wow! The new Bicubic Smoother resampling is amazing and very, very fast.
L
LRK
Apr 27, 2004
Cool Ramon! 🙂
B
Buko
Apr 27, 2004
I just knew you’d like it Ramon. I took me a while when OSX first came out. I was bouncing back and forth between 9 & X. But just like using the Wacom after hiding your mouse for 2 weeks in the bottom draw and using just the tablet you find it hard to go back to the old ways. glad you like it. B)
L
LRK
Apr 27, 2004
Took you a while, Buko? Remember how long it took me? 😉
B
Buko
Apr 27, 2004
Took you a while, Buko?

must have been at least a week B)
P
Phosphor
Apr 27, 2004
I had a friend call me yesterday, asking for help with his iMac and OS 9.0.4. He had some issues with Control Panels and some other stuff.

I’ve only been using OS X since Xmas day 2003, but I’m already losing track of how to offer help in OS 9. If I’m sitting in front of the actual box, I can do it, but over the phone—like I used to do all the time, from memory—forget it.

I’m a full OS X convert, but I still run Photoshop 7.0.1 in Classic so that I still have access to some legacy plugins.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections