CB
Posted By
Caroline_Bobb
Oct 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am working in PE1 and I am trying to insert my signature onto a photo. My problem is that I have no layers showing on the screen. I do have a layers on the bar at the top right hand corner of my screen, but when I click on that all I have is a list including drop shadow, bevels, etc. Nothing comes up on my screen showing me any layer of any kind. When I say add new layer, the pic I have opened just changes to "layer 2" Nothing on my screen appears as indicated in the numerous tutorials that I am trying to follow. . .By this I mean those small layer boxes where you are supposed to see each layer individually. . .
I can’t say I’m not jumping in with both feet and trying to "do", but my gosh, what the heck am I doing wrong. Why don’t the layers become visible. . . Maybe I have a wrong setting or something
Any direction or assistance is appreciated. . .
Caroline Bobb
I am using Windows XP Professional, if that’s any help.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PL
Paul_L_UK
Oct 8, 2003
Caroline

It sounds like you are clicking on the ‘Layer Styles’ tab.

Two ways to try, both should give the same result.

On the top, click on Window, then on Layers. This will make the layers palette visible. The other way is to drag the layers tab onto the desktop.

If all you get is a thin box with the layers tab in it and a ‘more’ button, in the top right are two boxes, on with a ‘line on a box’ in and one with an ‘X’. Click on the box in the box and you should be able to resize the palette.

I keep this open to the right-most of the screen.

I also attach the ‘undo history’ to the layers palette. Drag the tab towards the bottom of the layers palette until you see a double black line on the bottom, then release (you will see the layers palette have a black line around first, but keep dragging until you get the bottom highlighted).
This way, both palettes can act and be moved as one.

When you close and then open Elements, these should stay where they were put.

Hope that helps

Paul
PD
Pete_D
Oct 8, 2003
Caroline,

Layers are IMO the most important aspect of PSE to learn, (and you are on the right track experimenting with them).

First in that "palette well" at the top right of the screen click on the "layers" file folder tab, hold, and then drag it down on to your photo work area so it is easier to work with.

Now you will be able to see those little "layers" pictures like in the tutorial.

I suggest clicking on layers in the menu bar up top and creating a new layer with every option in that list just to see what it does. Some will cover the picture like a solid color layer but you can uncover the picture by clicking the "eye" on the left side of that layers palette that you pulled down.

Pete
CB
Caroline_Bobb
Oct 8, 2003
Thanks, Paul and Pete,
I will try those suggestions when I get home tonight . . . I appreciate the help. . . Caroline Bobb

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections